Author Topic: ‘You’re a Never Trumper,’ says Zeldin; ‘Then why’d you ask me to run?’ says Wilson in fiery NY GOP d  (Read 209 times)

Offline Kamaji

‘You’re a Never Trumper,’ says Zeldin; ‘Then why’d you ask me to run?’ says Wilson in fiery NY GOP debate

By Zach Williams
June 13, 2022

Monday’s debate between the Republican candidates for governor featured plenty of inter-party strife, but no pair of gubernatorial hopefuls sniped at each other more than Rep. Lee Zeldin and businessman Harry Wilson.

“In January of this year, he asked me to be on his ticket. Now why is he honestly attacking me now? Because his campaign is disintegrating,” Wilson claimed, days after he formally sued Zeldin (R-Long Island) alleging campaign finance violations.

Zeldin denied that he had any interest in associating politically with Wilson, at the debate, which also included former Westchester Executive Rob Astorino and ex-Trump White House Aide Andrew Giuliani.

“I never asked and I wouldn’t ask ‘Never Trump’ Harry Wilson,” Zeldin said as Wilson tried to talk over him.

The Wilson campaign clarified after the debate that the millionaire businessman, who is self-funding his campaign, was referring to a Jan. 12 phone call when Zeldin supposedly tried to convince him to run for state comptroller.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/13/lee-zeldin-and-harry-wilson-exchange-blows-at-ny-gop-gubernatorial-debate/