Author Topic: Top economist says most US inflation ‘could have been avoided’  (Read 533 times)

Offline Kamaji

Top economist says most US inflation ‘could have been avoided’

By Stephen Sorace, Fox Business
June 12, 2022

Most of the current record high inflation could have been avoided had the Federal Reserve acted earlier and shown humility after it wrongly described inflation as “transitory,” economist Mohamed El-Erian said Sunday.

El-Erian, chief economic advisor at Allianz, appeared on CBS’s “Face the Nation” to discuss what caused the current inflation and where it was likely to be heading.

“We got here because we got a combination of things happening,” El-Erian said, citing the war in Ukraine, the energy transition, and how the Fed incorrectly judged inflation and fell behind.

“All these things came together and are feeding now this everything inflation. The price of nearly everything is going up and making us feel really insecure,” he said.

El-Erian said that most of the inflation “could have been avoided if early action had been taken” by the Fed, which must now regain credibility to ease long-term inflation expectations.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/12/top-economist-mohamed-el-erian-says-most-inflation-could-have-been-avoided-if-federal-reserve-acted-earlier/

Offline LMAO

Re: Top economist says most US inflation ‘could have been avoided’
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 02:11:41 pm »
And throw in the hostility to energy and energy development and exploration

If Joe Biden has any chance of saving his presidency by 2024, he needs to start by firing Jennifer Granholm.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 02:18:39 pm »
The current Federal regime is anti-capitalist.  They will not allow the dreaded private sector to use capitalist means to solve problems.

Got supply-side economics?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 03:29:04 pm »
He's right about the fed, but much of this goes back to March of 2020.  Rather than telling people to behave as normally as possible, governments papered over lost productivity with debt.  If they ever want to return to low inflation, it's going to require interest rates the Fed is unwilling to set, and a recession the politicians are unwilling to justify.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 03:30:26 pm »
He's right about the fed, but much of this goes back to March of 2020.  Rather than telling people to behave as normally as possible, governments papered over lost productivity with debt.  If they ever want to return to low inflation, it's going to require interest rates the Fed is unwilling to set, and a recession the politicians are unwilling to justify.

Basically.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 04:05:09 pm »

Yep

Both Trump and Biden deserve the blame for the inflation we are experiencing. The difference between Trump and Biden is Biden is hostile to American energy development
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:52:42 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 04:14:01 pm »
If you're going to dance, there is no avoiding paying the piper!  Just a law of nature.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 04:24:25 pm »
If you're going to dance, there is no avoiding paying the piper!  Just a law of nature.

YEP! The thing about bar tabs... Sooner or later you have to pay the bill.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 05:03:24 pm »
I predict that inflation and the economy will be a huge issue even going into the 2024 election. And despite his shortcomings as president, Jimmy Carter did appoint Paul Volcker. Our next nominee needs to be somebody who takes a strong anti-inflationary stance.

I was a Ron Paul guy for many years.  What would America look like today if we followed the Ron Paul formula versus the Bernie Sanders formula?

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 05:29:33 pm »
I predict that inflation and the economy will be a huge issue even going into the 2024 election. And despite his shortcomings as president, Jimmy Carter did appoint Paul Volcker. Our next nominee needs to be somebody who takes a strong anti-inflationary stance.

I was a Ron Paul guy for many years.  What would America look like today if we followed the Ron Paul formula versus the Bernie Sanders formula?

The thing with austerity - It always seems to come too late.  :shrug:

Normalcy bias.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 05:36:01 pm »
The thing with austerity - It always seems to come too late.  :shrug:

Normalcy bias.

Economic sanity (normalcy) died with Calvin Coolidge. We've been on a 100 year bender that everyone knows is not going to end well.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 05:40:06 pm »
Economic sanity (normalcy) died with Calvin Coolidge. We've been on a 100 year bender that everyone knows is not going to end well.

Right

We’ve been given an alcoholic whiskey in the hope that we can stave off DTs

Barry Goldwater

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 05:42:55 pm »
Right

We’ve been given an alcoholic whiskey in the hope that we can stave off DTs
It would have been one thing if we were weaning the alcoholic, but instead, it's been an open bar.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 05:50:24 pm »
It would have been one thing if we were weaning the alcoholic, but instead, it's been an open bar.

:yowsa: And the bar is STILL open even now!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien