Author Topic: Thousands to rally in D.C. for gun safety  (Read 244 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Thousands to rally in D.C. for gun safety
« on: June 11, 2022, 12:39:47 pm »
Thousands to rally in D.C. for gun safety
by Elizabeth Crisp - 06/11/22 5:59 AM ET

Thousands of young people are set to descend on Washington, D.C., on Saturday to urge Congress to pass stricter gun laws as bipartisan negotiators work to reach a deal following a spate of recent mass shootings.

The March for Our Lives demonstration will take place less than a month after 19 students and two teachers were killed in a school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, and 10 Black people were gunned down in a supermarket in Buffalo, N.Y. Similar marches are set to be held the same day in more than 450 cities in the U.S. and around the world on Saturday.

In an exclusive interview with The Hill, Yolanda Renee King, the 13-year-old granddaughter of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. who will give one of the keynote speeches at this weekend’s Washington rally, said youth activists are frustrated after several years of demonstrating and countless deaths.

March for Our Lives was founded after the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Fla., in 2018, drawing more than a million participants that March to its first demonstration in Washington and sister events around the country.

“We’re all coming together because this is unacceptable, and we are demanding that our politicians ban the big rifle assault weapons,” King said. “We have to reduce kids’ anxiety of just going to school and reduce people who look like me’s anxiety to go to the grocery store.”

Saturday’s marches come after the Senate on Friday left town without reaching a deal on gun control legislation in the wake of recent high-profile mass shootings.

Democrats say they are “close” to an agreement with Texas Republican Sen. John Cornyn, who Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) picked to lead the GOP’s negotiation efforts, but some differences over language remain to be worked out.

more
https://thehill.com/news/state-watch/3519582-thousands-to-rally-in-d-c-for-gun-safety/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Thousands to rally in D.C. for gun safety
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 03:55:22 pm »
Color me shocked, the article has nothing to do with gun safety, it's all about limiting one of our God given rights enumerated by the Founding Fathers. Of course these useful idiots are ignorant of world history and where the fascists will take them once they have helped disarm Americans...........for gun safety don't you know

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Thousands to rally in D.C. for gun safety
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 04:52:25 pm »
D.C. Gun Control Rally Pressures Senators to Add New Second Amendment Restrictions

AWR Hawkins 11 Jun 2022

A gun control rally is being held in Washington, DC, Saturday with the goal of pressuring senators into passing new restrictions on the Second Amendment in light of recent shootings.

CBS Miami reports that the rally will be held in front of the Washington Monument and feature March for Our Lives founders, members of other gun control groups, and family members of shooting victims.

Patricia Oliver’s son Joaquin was killed in the February 14, 2018, Parkland attack.

Oliver explained her goal in the rally is to “show the country is screaming for justice.”

She criticized the fact that gun control has not passed out of Congress, saying, “Where are your morals?  You aren’t working for the people, and we are tired of that.”

The Hill noted that Martin Luther King Jr.’s granddaughter Yolanda Renee King said, “We’re all coming together because this is unacceptable, and we are demanding that our politicians ban the big rifle assault weapons. We have to reduce kids’ anxiety of just going to school and reduce people who look like me’s anxiety to go to the grocery store.”

March for Our Lives’ David Hogg is speaking at the rally.

On Thursday, Breitbart News reported that Sen. Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) chief of staff slammed March for Our Lives’ David Hogg for lying about a scheduled meeting.

Hogg tweeted, “Rubio staff said I can’t meet with him or his staff because I “trigger” him. I just wanna have a conversation. Please meet with me [Sen. Rubio] I just want to figure out how we can stop these things from happening. We have to end the continuous debate and find what we can agree on.”

Rubio chief of staff Michael Needham responded, calling Hogg out: “No one said such a thing. As for the meeting, you must be confused as we had a 2p meeting scheduled with you. However, since you are lying and clearly using this all for self-promotion, that meeting is now cancelled.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/06/11/dc-gun-control-rally-pressures-senators-add-new-second-amendment-restrictions/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34