Author Topic: US Navy aircraft carriers may be useless in a war with China  (Read 274 times)

rebewranger

US Navy aircraft carriers may be useless in a war with China
Jeff Schogol - 2h ago

Aircraft carriers such as the $13 billion USS Gerald R. Ford are floating symbols of the United States’ military power. They are built to dissuade adversaries from attacking American interests, reassure allies in times of crisis, and provide lifesaving close air support to U.S. troops in combat.

Yet these capital ships are also large and tempting targets for anti-ship missiles. Now China, which has missiles that can strike ships up to 2,500 miles away, has reportedly found a way to track U.S. aircraft carriers in real-time.

Last June, a Chinese satellite equipped with artificial intelligence detected the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman during naval exercises off the coast of Long Island, New York, allowing China’s military to follow the ship’s movements, the South China Morning Post first revealed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-navy-aircraft-carriers-may-be-useless-in-a-war-with-china/ar-AAYgqkw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d8653f3867d6498cbb89a6d4db65a18b

rebewranger

Re: US Navy aircraft carriers may be useless in a war with China
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 05:29:29 pm »
The first time I deployed to the South China Sea in 1974, the Russian already had a satellite capable of picking up a ship within 6 nautical miles.  I would be willing to bet in the intervening 48 years they, and China, have the ability to read what kind of lightbulbs are used to illuminate the ship's number on the island. :tinfoil:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 09:43:51 pm »
I'm thinking that eventually the time will come when the Chinese acquire the capability to track U.S. nuclear submarines.

Same for us, if we don't have such capabilities already (that are kept under deep wraps)...

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 09:53:52 pm »
And aircraft carrier is like a tank but with thousands of people on it.

Great against a third world combatant but not so much for a modern one.

Just an easy to find target.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 10:37:40 pm »
I'm thinking that eventually the time will come when the Chinese acquire the capability to track U.S. nuclear submarines.

@Fishrrman

While freely admitting I don't actually know or understand a damn thing about satellite technology,I would be shocked if they didn't.

Same for us, if we don't have such capabilities already (that are kept under deep wraps)...

Yup! In this day of being able to read a newspaper in someone's hand on a street in London from space,it would be hard to convince me we,and every other major nation,can't find something as freaking big that radiates as much heat and electromagnetic "farts" as a big-ass submarine.

For obvious reasons,nobody in anybodies  Navy is aware of this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!