Author Topic: Graham: ‘It is time to mobilize our retired and former service members’ to secure schools  (Read 305 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Graham: ‘It is time to mobilize our retired and former service members’ to secure schools
by Natalie Prieb - 06/03/22 3:24 PM ET

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Tuesday called for retired and former military members to step up to enhance security in schools following the mass shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, last week.

Graham wrote in a thread posted to his Twitter account that the U.S. has “hundreds of thousands” of former military members “who could bring a lot to the table” in protecting schools and that trained ROTC instructors should be able to carry firearms to make schools more secure.

The senator also said that he is working on creating a certification process for former military members that will allow them to go through security training and prepare them to help schools across the country.

“It is time to mobilize our retired and former service members who are willing to help secure our schools,” Graham added in a follow-up tweet. “Our schools are soft targets. They contain our most valuable possession – our children, the future of our country – and must be protected.”

Graham’s remarks reflect a GOP-led push to sharpen security in schools — and reject gun restriction proposals called for by Democrats and gun control advocates — following the massacre at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde that killed 19 students and two teachers.

more
https://thehill.com/news/senate/3511198-graham-it-is-time-to-mobilize-our-retired-and-former-service-members-to-secure-schools/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Not a bad idea if the details are worked out.

Those who defended America should be able to effectively defend their neighborhood schools.

My only caution is this is NOT a federal issue but a state-initiated issue.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
People have some bizarre notion that democratsare interested in solving problems, which they clearly are not.  Democrats are interested in milking every crisis for every drop they can greedily get out of them.  Move past clueless people!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have already posted a couple of thoughts on security improvements.

I think we should require teachers to take safety and proficiency training, and after that, have a pool of volunteers who carry in the schools.

Change the signs and take down the ridiculous gun free nonsense, replaced with "Staff is armed and authorized to use lethal force to protect students, faculty, and staff."

Of course the teachers unions would have fits, and let them. Get with the program or get a job.
There is a possibility that this would also change a few liberal indoctrinated minds about guns where it counts--those who teach our kids.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Killer Clouds

I have already posted a couple of thoughts on security improvements.

I think we should require teachers to take safety and proficiency training, and after that, have a pool of volunteers who carry in the schools.

Change the signs and take down the ridiculous gun free nonsense, replaced with "Staff is armed and authorized to use lethal force to protect students, faculty, and staff."

Of course the teachers unions would have fits, and let them. Get with the program or get a job.
There is a possibility that this would also change a few liberal indoctrinated minds about guns where it counts--those who teach our kids.
There are a lot of teachers out there now that shouldn't be teachers much less be able to carry a gun around kids.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There are a lot of teachers out there now that shouldn't be teachers much less be able to carry a gun around kids.
Oh, I agree. There are some who aren't balanced enough to arm on a day to day basis, and I think the training would 'out' a bunch of them. They shouldn't be teaching,nor entrusted with the welfare of kids.
There are others who are just there for the paycheck, and they wouldn't last long either.
Frankly, it isn't just about keeping the kids safe from potential shooters, it's a way to cull some of the less desirable teachers as well, which, in the long run might make for more sane policy, behaviour, and kids.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis