Author Topic: Opossum causes chaos in NYC bar — until brave Alaska woman saves day  (Read 847 times)

Offline Kamaji

Opossum causes chaos in NYC bar — until brave Alaska woman saves day

By Ben Cost
June 3, 2022

Did you hear the one about the opossum who walks into a bar — and gets owned by an Alaskan woman?

A courageous gal from up north came to the rescue of New York revelers last week after heroically “bouncing” an interloping opossum from a Brooklyn bar. A video of the impromptu animal controller’s good deed is now going viral on Instagram, and city slickers praise her varmint-handling prowess.

“I think it was just instinctual,” Sara Fulton — who goes by @Sarakalee on Instagram — told NBC New York of handling the scruffy customer. “I’m from Alaska, and I used to go camping with black bears hanging out at my campsite.”

This now-viral rapscallion wandered into Temkin’s Bar in Greenpoint last Thursday night, sending patrons into a panic.

In the awe-inspiring footage on her Instagram, captioned “I did that,” bar patrons can be heard screaming as the opossum enters the joint and darts under a table. That’s when Fulton comes to the rescue.

“Hold the camera — I’m from Alaska,” she declares before calmly reaching down and grabbing the furry interloper with her bare hand. The confident gal then nonchalantly saunters towards the door while holding the critter by the scruff of its neck like a naughty cat as bar-goers look on in awe.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/03/heroic-alaskan-woman-bounces-opossum-from-brooklyn-bar/

Offline Kamaji

That should be epically embarrassing to every NY'er.

Offline DB

Very dirty stinky critters that can have rabies. Not recommended to grab one with your bare hands.

Offline PeteS in CA

Has PETA tried yet to press charges?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Damn, George Jones is still alive?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Very dirty stinky critters that can have rabies. Not recommended to grab one with your bare hands.

Agreed. Even without rabies, they can leave a pretty substantial bite.  I typically whack them with a baseball bat when they encroach.  Which is pretty often.

If the whole episode was for effect, I don't mind picking up non-venompus snakes and scaring be bejesus out of the grandkids. (Exception:Speckled King Snakes)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline PeteS in CA

Agreed. Even without rabies, they can leave a pretty substantial bite.  I typically whack them with a baseball bat when they encroach.  Which is pretty often.

That technique should help with your golf game, :silly: .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I believe in live and let live. I see one in the yard occasionally,but ignore it,and it just wanders off.

I am guessing there MUST be something wrong with one that will purposely wander into a loud bar populated with people,though. It must have been someone's pet that escaped or was let loose,or it would have never done that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DB

I believe in live and let live. I see one in the yard occasionally,but ignore it,and it just wanders off.

I am guessing there MUST be something wrong with one that will purposely wander into a loud bar populated with people,though. It must have been someone's pet that escaped or was let loose,or it would have never done that.

Rabies is the usual reason. And a reason not to handle it directly with your hands.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Rabies is the usual reason. And a reason not to handle it directly with your hands.

@DB

When they are that far gone with Rabies,you can tell because they are staggering around with wild eyes and foam is dripping from their mouths.

I don't remember ever seeing a tame opossum before,or even why anybody would want one,but I guess it is possible.

I have seen tame racoons,though. Even seen some that refused to leave after being let loose until they got so hungry they had no choice.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well I wouldn't have screamed like a little girl, but they aren't all cuddly and sweetness. I have seen what a cornered one can do to a dog which is why when they used to crawl on my fence( and we have a ton of them, usually dead on the road) I kept him inside, city dogs don't have all the skills country dogs have learned.

Offline roamer_1

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

That's right.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Opossum Facts Consider these additional possum benefits:
Opossums hunt, kill, and eat mice, rats, and snakes (including poisonous ones).
Opossums are scavengers and clean up dead animal carcasses.
Opossums have a natural resistance to rabies and botulism, so they aren’t likely to spread these diseases.
Opossums are immune to the toxins in bee and scorpion stings.
Opossums don’t dig deep holes, but they will occupy burrows of other animals.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Benefits Of Opossums: Are Possums Good To Have Around https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/beneficial/benefits-of-opossums.htm

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Well as a Southerner with lots of Possums about, we figure since they are cold blooded they don't have rabies. @DB

They often put up a big show, but usually 50% just play dead when confronted, the other 45% put on a show/act they they will bite, 5% you might want to wear gloves when dealing with them.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Opossums are scavengers and clean up dead animal carcasses.
Opossums have a natural resistance to rabies and botulism, so they aren’t likely to spread these diseases.
Opossums are immune to the toxins in bee and scorpion stings.
Opossums don’t dig deep holes, but they will occupy burrows of other animals.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Benefits Of Opossums: Are Possums Good To Have Around https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/beneficial/benefits-of-opossums.htm

Well crapola, you must of been typing this before I read it... but yeah, no rabies.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

And chickens. Mostly chickens.
And no, they ain't good to have around.
Live and let live down on the creek, just like coons.
But neither one has a long life in the barnyard.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Maybe New York City needs to invest in more possums to get rid of their rat problem. I don't think they have many barnyards.  :cool:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum