Author Topic: White House weighs oil profits tax to fund consumer rebate  (Read 475 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

White House weighs oil profits tax to fund consumer rebate
« on: June 03, 2022, 02:02:34 pm »
The White House is considering congressional proposals that could tax oil and gas producers' profits in order to provide a benefit to consumers struggling with higher energy prices, a U.S. official said on Thursday.

"There are a variety of interesting proposals and design choices on a windfall profits tax," Bharat Ramamurti, the deputy director of President Joe Biden's National Economic Council, said during a panel discussion sponsored by the Roosevelt Institute think tank.

"We've looked carefully at each of them and are engaging in conversations with Congress about design."

High energy prices have led to record profits for large oil producers this year. Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N), the largest U.S. oil producer, doubled its first-quarter profit to $5.48 billion and said it would triple its stock buybacks through 2023 to $30 billion.

The Biden administration has criticized producers for sitting on profits and not investing in further production to lower costs.
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/white-house-considering-proposal-tax-oil-gas-windfall-profits-official-says-2022-06-02/

Windfall profits taxes never work.  It was proved in the 1970s that they just hurt everybody when deployed.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Kamaji

Re: White House weighs oil profits tax to fund consumer rebate
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 02:14:20 pm »
O.M.G.

:facepalm2:

Are we going to have to redo everything that happened in the late 60s, early 70s, all over again?  What's next?  Disco?  Cheap polyester shirts with prairie-sized collars?  This sort of mens' fashion:

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 04:29:58 pm »
Another confiscation that does nothing but take away money from one group (oil company shareholders) and give to another group (those who the Dems politically want to benefit).

And it does ZERO to increase oil production but actually stifles it by taking cash from oil companies who could use to increase production.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 04:39:20 pm »
Speaking of windfall profits, why is it that the government collects more money in oil profits than do the oil companies?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 04:41:55 pm »
I might celebrate when Biden expires.

I don't care how bad that sounds.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 09:23:06 pm »

There are two expiration dates on him, one January 2025 and one by the Almighty, whichever comes first.
Countdown Until Joe Biden Is Out of Office
https://countdownuntiljoebidenisoutofoffice.weebly.com/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:24:50 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 09:25:00 pm »
Another confiscation that does nothing but take away money from one group (oil company shareholders) and give to another group (those who the Dems politically want to benefit).

And it does ZERO to increase oil production but actually stifles it by taking cash from oil companies who could use to increase production.
Exactly.

THey just found one more way to f*** everyone, because nothing is going to get cheaper.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 11:47:42 pm »

I'll one up you, I'm ready to start celebrating as soon as tomorrow. Let's just face facts, I don't believe there is any way that The Cackler could be any worse than Captain Dementia or that her assuming POTUS, despite being the first woman ovarian of some sort of kind of color, would in any way stop the loss of the democrats in 2024. There would be one plus and that would be Hitlary having to choke on not being the first female ovarian to be POTUS.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 06:55:01 pm »
I'll one up you, I'm ready to start celebrating as soon as tomorrow. Let's just face facts, I don't believe there is any way that The Cackler could be any worse than Captain Dementia or that her assuming POTUS, despite being the first woman ovarian of some sort of kind of color, would in any way stop the loss of the democrats in 2024. There would be one plus and that would be Hitlary having to choke on not being the first female ovarian to be POTUS.
I don't think it would make any difference in the policies being excreted by the administration which one of the dummies the invisible hand was stuck into. Neither of them are presidential caliber, and someone else is calling the shots (if not a group of someones).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis