Author Topic: Last Howard Johnson's in Lake George, New York closes its doors for final time, ending 100 years of  (Read 241 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Daily Mail 6/2/2022

Last Howard Johnson's in Lake George, New York closes its doors for final time, ending 100 years of history for America's first franchise restaurant

The locations were gutted and sold to other businesses, and more and more Howard Johnsons' began to close down
throughout the decades until only the Lake George location was left by 2016.
Pictured: Howard Johnson's in Fort Lee, NJ, pictured in the 1940s.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-10876315/The-Howard-Johnsons-America-closes-doors.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBNUUeHNkDI

Offline Kamaji

I remember those back in the day.  It's a shame they're gone, now.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Stayed at one enroute to my first duty assignment...1983.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I’ll always remember the fried clams. Loved those as a kid.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
People just can't afford to eat out often anymore because the price is so high,due to restaurants having to pay an insane amount of money for waiters and waitresses.

When fast food joints like Hardees are having to pay new employees 14 bucks an hour to get them to come to work,just imagine what more upscale restaurants with more varied menu's have to pay.

Especially since the meal is so high now you KNOW it cuts into the tips.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

Our family rarely ate in restaurants when I was young, but when we traveled, we stayed at their "motor lodges" and ate at the restaurant. I always looked forward to having ice cream (28 flavors!!!).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

As a kid in the mid-1960's, road trips with the family often meant a lunch or dinner stop at Howard Johnson's and a big plate of fried clams. Yum. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn