Author Topic: Looming Price-Hikes On Food Set To Hit Americans Even Harder This Fall  (Read 711 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Looming Price-Hikes On Food Set To Hit Americans Even Harder This Fall
June 1, 2022 NEWS

Authored by Kevin Stocklin via The Epoch Times,

In its effort to contain inflation, the Federal Reserve has launched what many expect to be an ongoing series of interest rate increases, which are already taking a toll on stock and housing markets, with job losses likely to follow. As weary as Americans have become from paying record high gas and grocery prices, however, another round of price hikes is making its way through the food supply chain and is expected to reach consumers this fall.

“People don’t realize what’s fixing to hit them,” said Texas farmer Lynn “Bugsy” Allen.

“They think it’s tough right now, you give it until October. Food prices are going to double.”

The 8.8 percent increase in food prices that Americans have already seen does not take into account the dramatic cost increases that farmers are now experiencing. This is because farmers pay their costs upfront and only recoup them at the point of sale, months later.

“Usually, what we see on the farm, the consumer doesn’t see for another 18 months,” said John Chester, a Tennessee farmer of corn, wheat, and soybeans. But with the severity of these cost increases, consumers could feel the effects much sooner, particularly if weather becomes a factor.

Lorenda Overman, a North Carolina farmer who raises hogs and grows corn, soybeans, and sweet potatoes, said the spike in fuel costs has put her farm into the red this year. “Nothing that consumers are paying is going to bridge the gap for farmers right now,” she said. “The prices now have not hit the grocery stores yet,” but she expects they will start to by the end of summer.

Much of the cost of food hinges on the price of oil.

more
https://zububrothers.com/2022/06/01/looming-price-hikes-on-food-set-to-hit-americans-even-harder-this-fall/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Two words:

Think Amish.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

So far our new marketplace is outpacing the local grocery chains.  As an example the local grocer wanted $2.99/lb. for watermelon chunks and the market wanted $1.95/lb or $2.50 for a watermelon quarter regardless of size.  So far the meat, egg, vegs, and fruit prices (most grown locally or nearby) are definitely lower than the grocery stores.  I am really hoping that the local farmers will be able to stay afloat with all the business they are getting from this market. We shall see.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

The American people will have their say on this train wreck starting this year and especially in 2024. We'll have to suffer until then

I can't guarantee that things will improve after this administration is gone.

But I can promise that tough times will continue and worsen as long as these people are in charge
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:20:40 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Hit not just Americans harder but American pets too!

Offline libertybele

Hit not just Americans harder but American pets too!

That is also a concern.  The price of dog food keeps rising and the brand that we feed our pooch is getting more and more difficult to find.  I bought two bags at Target and two bags were left on the shelf.  That was it. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
That is also a concern.  The price of dog food keeps rising and the brand that we feed our pooch is getting more and more difficult to find.  I bought two bags at Target and two bags were left on the shelf.  That was it.

I’m worried people will be abandoning or returning animals because they can’t afford to  feed them
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

I’m worried people will be abandoning or returning animals because they can’t afford to  feed them

I didn't even think about that, but that is definitely a possibility @Gefn

Offline GtHawk

I just paid 80 cents a can for Friskies cat, $2+ for a large can of Pedigree for my dog and her dry food is up to $58 for a forty pound bag. I tried to go to a lesser brand for her, not a cheap brand just a bit lower quality and she didn't handle it well. It's only going to get worse, I have no idea how much more I, like a great many other Americans, I can cut back. Hell you can't even save money eating beans and tortillas, have you seen what they are charging for freakin tortillas?

Offline roamer_1

Hell you can't even save money eating beans and tortillas, have you seen what they are charging for freakin tortillas?

Making my own. Way better btw... Fresh tortillas... I may never go back.
Beans too - Been buying bulk red beans, black beans, and I am working on pinto beans. Same with rice, flour, sugar... Still need to make the jump to coffee beans in bulk.

Meat is tougher. Can't afford to buy into cattle this year, so no free beef at the end of that saga. But I do have half a beef in the freezer, and I am fishing like crazy, and I definitely will go hard for deer and elk this fall.

Offline libertybele

I just paid 80 cents a can for Friskies cat, $2+ for a large can of Pedigree for my dog and her dry food is up to $58 for a forty pound bag. I tried to go to a lesser brand for her, not a cheap brand just a bit lower quality and she didn't handle it well. It's only going to get worse, I have no idea how much more I, like a great many other Americans, I can cut back. Hell you can't even save money eating beans and tortillas, have you seen what they are charging for freakin tortillas?

I'm in the same boat. The dog food that I feed our dog (and I buy smaller bags) has gone up nearly $5.00/ bag.  It will almost last about 3 weeks -- we feed Geronimo dry kibbles with crumbled treats in the morning and kibbles at night with a bit of what we have for dinner.  (Neither of us can lift the bigger bags so were stuck paying more for the smaller bags).

What is getting really ridiculous is the price of the treats that he loves; almost $15.00 a bag for "Nudges" brand treats.  That is something that I can cut back on though.

Switching dog food to something less expensive is an option, but it does upset their systems for awhile.  Geronimo is finicky.  I tried switching to a senior dog food a little bit at a time and he still wouldn't eat it so I went back to what he's used to.

Offline libertybele

Making my own. Way better btw... Fresh tortillas... I may never go back.
Beans too - Been buying bulk red beans, black beans, and I am working on pinto beans. Same with rice, flour, sugar... Still need to make the jump to coffee beans in bulk.

Meat is tougher. Can't afford to buy into cattle this year, so no free beef at the end of that saga. But I do have half a beef in the freezer, and I am fishing like crazy, and I definitely will go hard for deer and elk this fall.

Good idea on buying beans and rice in bulk -- that'll be on my list next trip to the market.  I have an extra bag of flour, sugar and corn meal on hand.  I need to buy more.  My pantry is full, but I'll make room, if need be, I'll utilize a shelf in one of the clothes closets.

Offline GtHawk

I'm in the same boat. The dog food that I feed our dog (and I buy smaller bags) has gone up nearly $5.00/ bag.  It will almost last about 3 weeks -- we feed Geronimo dry kibbles with crumbled treats in the morning and kibbles at night with a bit of what we have for dinner.  (Neither of us can lift the bigger bags so were stuck paying more for the smaller bags).

What is getting really ridiculous is the price of the treats that he loves; almost $15.00 a bag for "Nudges" brand treats.  That is something that I can cut back on though.

Switching dog food to something less expensive is an option, but it does upset their systems for awhile.  Geronimo is finicky.  I tried switching to a senior dog food a little bit at a time and he still wouldn't eat it so I went back to what he's used to.
I transitioned Smokey to the new varying the mix over more than a week so it wasn't that, she was having issues all the way through the balance of the new food. I had to go back to the more premium brand, not one of those big names that vets like to push but still very good and the stomach issue disappeared. Could be worse, a cat will be all loving a certain food until you buy a whole case to save money and then refuse to ever eat it again.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Not to worry, Joe is on it.

He will first blame the grocery stores, then the distributors, all the way down to the farmers and ranchers.

We have seen the pattern before.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

Good idea on buying beans and rice in bulk -- that'll be on my list next trip to the market.  I have an extra bag of flour, sugar and corn meal on hand.  I need to buy more.  My pantry is full, but I'll make room, if need be, I'll utilize a shelf in one of the clothes closets.

Oh no, @libertybele ... Bulk is 25 pound bags off the azure truck. I think I got the 25lb bags of rice from the Costco, but all the beans and most of my flour came off Azure. I keep a 5 gal bucket of each (red, black bean, rice, flour sugar) in the pantry and feed my smaller kitchen stores from that... The rest are in their bags, in one of them big long tupperware thingys under the guest bed...

Dry beans are a talent I am fairly poor at - Have to get em in water the night before to use them tomorrow - I am pretty bad at planning that far ahead. But I could probably go a year right now and never eat anything but beans and rice. Cheap and easy to store.

It is amazing how cheap it is the minute you get away from finished products.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 04:13:53 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
ANYBODY that thinks this is an accident,or that Slow Joe masterminded it,is a fool.

There is no better way to enslave a population than to control prices and control the availability of food,electricity,heating fuel,and running water.

See where this is going?

Anyone still wonder why they want to seize our guns?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

ANYBODY that thinks this is an accident,or that Slow Joe masterminded it,is a fool.

There is no better way to enslave a population than to control prices and control the availability of food,electricity,heating fuel,and running water.

See where this is going?

Anyone still wonder why they want to seize our guns?

Exactly @sneakypete    We CANNOT let them infringe on the 2A in any way.

As I have mentioned before I find the number of mass shooting that are occurring under Joe quite 'interesting'!

When Bammy was in office he made a deal with the UN giving them the authority to seize small arms (The Small Arms Treaty).  If I recall it was done without the consent of Congress.  Whether or not the treaty still stands I am not sure of.  He also authorized a 'hub' in D.C. for the U.N. to operate out of.

IF the U.N. is allowed to have any authority in this country, especially regarding our 2nd Amendment rights, we are sunk. 

I do see U.N. involvement as a possibility.

Meanwhile, our borders are open, Joe is donating billions to Ukraine along with arming them.  So, what the hell is he doing for us??  Nothing but aligning us for a collapse.