Author Topic: Scientists Discover Major Complication Of A Saharan Solar Farm  (Read 590 times)

rebewranger

WRITTEN BY ZHENGYAO LU AND BENJAMIN SMITH ON MAY 31, 2022. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

The world’s most forbidding deserts could be the best places on Earth for harvesting solar power — the most abundant and clean source of energy we have.

Deserts are spacious, relatively flat, rich in silicon – the raw material for the semiconductors from which solar cells are made — and never short of sunlight.

In fact, the ten largest solar plants around the world are all located in deserts or dry regions. [bold, links added]

Researchers imagine it might be possible to transform the world’s largest desert, the Sahara, into a giant solar farm, capable of meeting four times the world’s current energy demand.

Blueprints have been drawn up for projects in Tunisia and Morocco that would supply electricity for millions of households in Europe.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/scientists-discover-major-complication-of-a-saharan-solar-farm/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Scientists Discover Major Complication Of A Saharan Solar Farm
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 03:16:03 pm »
So, heat given off by solar panels in the desert will increase the Earth's temperature?

What about the ones on my roof?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 03:26:19 pm »
The Sahara blows, or at least the wind does, and there is plenty of fine sand on the move.

Any obstruction creates a wind shadow, which has the potential to cause deposition of that sand, just like a snow fence causes snow to pile up or shelter belts collect windblown soil.

How long will the sun even be able to get to those solar units if they drift in with sand, not to mention problems with maintenance?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 03:47:37 pm »
How long will the sun even be able to get to those solar units if they drift in with sand, not to mention problems with maintenance?
With ALL so called 'green energy', the long term degradation combined with maintenance costs are much worse than fossil fuel/nuclear generated energy. Not only do these costs negate any potential benefit, green energy ravages the environment they are built in and the overall cost is much, much higher than conventional energy production while producing unreliable and underpowered result.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 03:49:33 pm »
With ALL so called 'green energy', the long term degradation combined with maintenance costs are much worse than fossil fuel/nuclear generated energy. Not only do these costs negate any potential benefit, green energy ravages the environment they are built in and the overall cost is much, much higher than conventional energy production while producing unreliable and underpowered result.
In short, another expensive boondoggle...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online rustynail

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 04:00:09 pm »
'Scientists Discover Major Complication Of A Saharan Solar Farm'....they don't work at night?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 02:48:57 am »
The Sahara blows, or at least the wind does, and there is plenty of fine sand on the move.

Any obstruction creates a wind shadow, which has the potential to cause deposition of that sand, just like a snow fence causes snow to pile up or shelter belts collect windblown soil.

Hell, the biggest problem may be what do you do when they are covered up by hundreds of feet of sand?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 02:52:03 am »
In short, another expensive boondoggle...
Actually, it is worse than that.

The article says they RAISE the temperature of the earh by 1.5C to 2,5C degrees,

I thought the entire purpose of solar energy generation was to lower the temperature of the earth by stopping the evil hydrocarbons from raising the temperature?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 03:10:41 am »
The earth's surface area is nearly 200 million square miles.  What is the surface area of all solar panels combined?  It takes 1.56 million solar panels to cover one square mile.

Also, these so-called scientists seem to be oblivious to the fact that the earth radiates heat back out into space.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 04:35:45 am »
The earth's surface area is nearly 200 million square miles.  What is the surface area of all solar panels combined?  It takes 1.56 million solar panels to cover one square mile.

Also, these so-called scientists seem to be oblivious to the fact that the earth radiates heat back out into space.

The sand likely reflects a fair amount of the sun's radiation back out into space. The solar panels absorb most of it even if only about 18% of that energy is converted into electricity.  The rest is heat. And then the bulk of that electricity generated is eventually turned into heat.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 11:26:07 am »
Actually, it is worse than that.

The article says they RAISE the temperature of the earh by 1.5C to 2,5C degrees,

I thought the entire purpose of solar energy generation was to lower the temperature of the earth by stopping the evil hydrocarbons from raising the temperature?
Put solar facilities at more equatorial latitudes to raise the temp (and take advantage of the better incidence angles of sunlight), put windmills to sap the energy of major air currents most anywhere, and the colliding subpolar air masses and sub tropical ones will mean really brutal weather along the fronts.

Frickin' genius!  **nononono*

The 'solutions' cause climate change...

C S Lewis

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 12:51:02 pm »
Put solar facilities at more equatorial latitudes to raise the temp (and take advantage of the better incidence angles of sunlight), put windmills to sap the energy of major air currents most anywhere, and the colliding subpolar air masses and sub tropical ones will mean really brutal weather along the fronts.

Frickin' genius!  **nononono*

The 'solutions' cause climate change...
Yep, proves it was never about climate change in the first place.

Any scientist that does blurt this out is censored.