Author Topic: Biden pledges to meet with Congress on guns  (Read 395 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden pledges to meet with Congress on guns
« on: May 31, 2022, 04:26:44 pm »
 Biden pledges to meet with Congress on guns
by Morgan Chalfant - 05/31/22 12:05 PM ET

President Biden on Tuesday pledged to meet with lawmakers on enacting gun legislation in response to recent mass shootings. 

“I will meet with the Congress on guns, I promise you,” Biden told reporters during a meeting with New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern in the Oval Office. 

Biden did not say with whom specifically he would meet or when. Lawmakers are currently on recess and scheduled to return to Washington, D.C., the first full week of June. 

The president has faced pressure from gun advocates to get more involved in the congressional talks about gun reform, as proponents of stricter gun laws grow frustrated with the lack of action on Capitol Hill. 

Currently, Senate Democrats and Republicans are meeting on potential bipartisan legislation. However, there is a healthy dose of skepticism in Washington as to whether the talks will ultimately bear fruit. 

Biden acknowledged on Monday that he hasn’t yet spoken to Republican lawmakers about potential gun-related legislation in the wake of the horrifying mass shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, but expressed some tacit optimism that GOP lawmakers would be open to enacting gun reform. 

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/3506735-biden-pledges-to-meet-with-congress-on-guns/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Re: Biden pledges to meet with Congress on guns
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 04:32:51 pm »
Biden pledges tomeet with democrat controlled and run Congress.  Well what a well kept secret as to how that will turn out, eh?  Anything Biden does is better than anything Trump did or will do, eh?  Another lie soon to be exposed as to why dupes and fools should not have the right to vote, who believe every lie a democrat tells them, and soon i expect.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 07:09:13 pm by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 05:18:44 pm »
Can anyone tell me what law can be passed that would have stopped what happened in Uvalde if it was law already?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 05:45:25 pm »
Will Congress give him a tote bag for making that pledge?

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 06:22:56 pm »
Will Congress give him a tote bag for making that pledge?

If the Pubs cave on gun control they better not expect a tsunami in Nov.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 06:31:51 pm »
The president has faced pressure from gun advocates to get more involved in the congressional talks about gun reform, as proponents of stricter gun laws grow frustrated with the lack of action on Capitol Hill.
"...pressure from Gun advocates..."?

Oh Hell, No!

I don't want that doddering wannabe dictator anywhere near my Rights.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:32:50 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline christian

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 07:11:18 pm »
Oh Hell, No!

I don't want that doddering wannabe dictator anywhere near my Rights.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:32:50 pm by Smokin Joe »
Report to moderator   Logged

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

TIMES TEN !

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 07:30:04 pm »
Since the Constitution was 'ratified' in Jun 1788, and the 2nd Amendment wasn't ratified until mid-December, 1791...anybody have any links or input as to what the country was experiencing that may have influenced the need for it?

Always thought that every Founder himself firmly believed it since Bunker Hill. 

Or, was it a case of governments moving s l o w l y, that it took 2-1/2 years to come up with the right language?  ...yet they're still arguing about it.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 07:33:21 pm »
Since the Constitution was 'ratified' in Jun 1788, and the 2nd Amendment wasn't ratified until mid-December, 1791...anybody have any links or input as to what the country was experiencing that may have influenced the need for it?

Always thought that every Founder himself firmly believed it since Bunker Hill. 

Or, was it a case of governments moving s l o w l y, that it took 2-1/2 years to come up with the right language?  ...yet they're still arguing about it.   :laugh:

The Bill of Rights was, I believe, ratified as a whole, and not added item by item.  It was part of the promises made to the inhabitants of the 13 colonies, that if they ratified the Constitution, then a Bill of Rights would be sent out for ratification shortly thereafter.

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/bill-of-rights/how-did-it-happen
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 07:34:43 pm by Kamaji »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 07:44:56 pm »

The Bill of Rights was, I believe, ratified as a whole, and not added item by item.  It was part of the promises made to the inhabitants of the 13 colonies, that if they ratified the Constitution, then a Bill of Rights would be sent out for ratification shortly thereafter.

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/bill-of-rights/how-did-it-happen

Thank you.   Couldn't figure out where to start looking...too old for this sh*t.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 07:50:23 pm »
Thank you.   Couldn't figure out where to start looking...too old for this sh*t.   :laugh:

:thumbsup:

Wikipedia has a reasonably useful page on the history of the Bill of Rights as well:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights

As far as the Second Amendment goes, that was apparently modeled after the right to keep and bear arms in English common law and was influenced by the English Bill of Rights of 1689.

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Of, perhaps, more importance to current debates, was one of the reasons motivating the desire for the Second Amendment:  fear of a standing federal army.  From the Wikipedia article:

While both James Monroe and John Adams supported the Constitution being ratified, its most influential framer was James Madison. In Federalist No. 46, Madison wrote how a federal army could be kept in check by state militias, "a standing army ... would be opposed [by] a militia." He argued that state militias "would be able to repel the danger" of a federal army, "It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops." He contrasted the federal government of the United States to the European kingdoms, which he described as "afraid to trust the people with arms", and assured that "the existence of subordinate governments ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition".

That makes it reasonably clear that the Founders - and the people who ratified the Second Amendment - in fact intended for it to create a right that was sufficiently robust to, and that allowed ownership of weapons capable of, resisting a federal army.  In other words, that the Founders in fact actually explicitly intended for people to be able to own military-grade weapons under the Second Amendment.

Offline christian

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 04:23:56 am »
Whether its guns, violence, economy , crippling of our nations independence and freedoms, Everything Biden has made huge moves towards a devastated WOKE society,you can't blame biden, he swears he's doing the best he can.  Despite its an obvious outright lie.  So it comes out, though Joe won't gIve American citizens a break, neither the economy, nor his open attacks on our freedoms, think of JOE as the victim and relieve yourself on the rest.....To be fair to Joe!  Have mercy on the foreign enemies and domestic, let Americans live off the scraps of the table on whats left over.  Can you finally see the WOKE-UTOPIAN society more clearly now!???
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 03:09:42 am by christian »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 06:09:15 am »
Whether its guns, violence, economy , crippling of our nations independence and freedoms, Everything Biden has made huge moves towards a devastated WOKE society,you can't blame biden, he swears hes doing the best he can.  Despite its an obvious outright lie.  So it comes out, though Joe won't gove American citizens a break, neither the economy, nor his open attacks on our freedoms, think of JOE as the victime and relieve yourself on the reast.....To be fair to Joe!  Have mercy on the foreign enemies and domestic, let Americans live off the scraps of the table on whats left over.  Can you finally see the WOKE-UTOPIAN society more clearly now!
Clearly enough to guess that the people pulling his strings are trying to push events so hard hat it provokes an incident they can use to establish martial law and enforce even more draconian and unconstitutional policy, effectively ending the Republic as we have known it.
"the great reset"....
In this, the doddering figurehead they push up to the podium is expendable. So I pray for the safety of that gibbering idiot puppet and look toward the midterms to hopefully get enough conservatives in the congress to stop this insanity.

C S Lewis