Author Topic: Brooks: We Should Rephrase Gun Control as ‘Gun Regulation’ That Is ‘Kind of Like’ Car Regulations  (Read 194 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Brooks: We Should Rephrase Gun Control as ‘Gun Regulation’ That Is ‘Kind of Like’ Car Regulations

Ian Hanchett 28 May 2022

On Friday’s “PBS NewsHour,” New York Times columnist David Brooks said it’s possible to persuade some people by rephrasing gun control as “gun regulation. Like, we have driving regulation, we have cars, and we regulate the cars.” And stated that there are things like raising the age limit to buy a gun from 18 to 21, background checks, red flag laws, and having unique codes for firearms like the password on a phone “that can be done that are just normal, because we do them for cars.”

Brooks stated, “I think there is the possibility of changing the way we talk about this in order to get people who are winnable, and that’s not to phrase it as gun control, we’re going to take away your guns. That’s to phrase it as gun regulation. Like, we have driving regulation, we have cars, and we regulate the cars. And there are all sorts of things you could do that are kind of like what we do with cars.”

He continued, “Like, we could raise the age limit at which you buy a gun. It’s — this kid was 18. You could raise it to 21. That would make a difference. Background checks, the red flag laws. If you see somebody in your orbit who is suicidal or something, you can go to law enforcement and make it impossible for them to get guns. There are a whole series of things. Somebody made the point — I think it was my colleague Nick Kristof — that if you — if I lose my phone, and you pick it up, it’s basically useless to you. Because you don’t have my code. Why can’t guns be like that?”

Brooks concluded, “And so, there [are] a whole series of things that can be done that are just normal, because we do them for cars.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/05/28/brooks-we-should-rephrase-gun-control-as-gun-regulation-that-is-kind-of-like-car-regulations/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maybe he will get a few by rebranding it, but like the rose, a turd by any other name has the same aroma.

This isn't some damned marketing deal. Some things are just not negotiable.

Put this dunce hiding behind a dumpster, with shots pinging off the bricks around him in the dark, and let him try to enter some frigging code to defend himself...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 04:44:22 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
We already have gun regulation like car regulation which require a product to operate correctly and safely. Do the guns operate as designed meeting industry standards, are they safe to use in their intended manner? If not the manufacturer may be sued, if a user of the product uses them in an unsafe manner that's on the user not the manufacturer. This is just another lying POS that wants take peoples rights away and calling it something different doesn't change the fact.