Author Topic: Don't assume school shooters are mentally ill  (Read 138 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Don't assume school shooters are mentally ill
« on: May 28, 2022, 01:20:30 pm »
May 28, 2022
Don't assume school shooters are mentally ill
By John Dale Dunn, M.D.

There is a lot of mumbo-jumbo psych talk circulating around the dead bodies in Uvalde, a town I knew pretty well because I consulted frequently with their hospital administrator.

I want to remind readers of the problem of personality disorders (P.D.) and distinguish P.D. from mental illness.

P.D. is pattern of anti-social or dysfunctional behavior caused not by mental illness, but by bad manners and bad social adaptation.  There are three groups of personality disorders.  In the emergency medicine part of my life, I taught residents that P.D.s are the weird, the wild, and the withdrawn.

The killers and criminals are usually in the wild group, who are the most anti-social and disruptive.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/05/dont_assume_school_shooters_are_mentally_ill.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Don't assume school shooters are mentally ill
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 01:33:42 pm »
I have a hard time wrapping my head around this claim:
Consider my warning: P.D.s are not a mental illness; they are a culturally dysfunctional behavior problem.  P.D. individuals are not psychotic or out of touch with reality — they just have a bad set of behavior and social controls.  They got messed up on the way to adulthood and functional good behavior.   
I don't know how any person who willingly takes the lives of multiple people and doesn't have enough of a conscience to stop himself (because for some odd reason only men ever get caught doing these things) is NOT at least sociopathic. "Social controls" are not the solution for this, and the disaster that was 2020 should have proved that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 01:49:22 pm »
P.D. is more than just "bad manners and bad social adaptation".  It may start with that, but when P.D. is the diagnosis, it is a mental illness.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 04:44:43 pm »
P.D. is more than just "bad manners and bad social adaptation".  It may start with that, but when P.D. is the diagnosis, it is a mental illness.
Yeah, for some reason I think P.D.'s are treated by a mental health professional and not enrollment in miss manners finishing school for a reason.

Not a mental illness he says, but:

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), which is the standard reference publication for recognized mental illnesses, organizes the 10 types of personality disorders into three main clusters

Who is this MD trying to cover for and why?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 04:52:31 pm »
Maybe not all mentally ill.

I suppose Demonic Possession is a possibility.  :pondering:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 05:14:22 pm »

I believe according to the DSM 5 P.D is not considered a mental illness. Any psych majors here?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️