Author Topic: Why Are Spare Parts on the Unfunded List? Senator Asks Navy's Top Officer  (Read 299 times)

rebewranger

Why Are Spare Parts on the Unfunded List? Senator Asks Navy's Top Officer

Sailors are cannibalizing parts to keep equipment operational.
CAITLIN M. KENNEY | MAY 26, 2022

If readiness is so important to the U.S. Navy, why are some spare parts on the service’s unfunded priorities list?

Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., pressed the Navy’s top officer on that point Tuesday. The chair of the Senate’s defense appropriations subcommittee brought up last August’s deadly crash of an MH-60S helicopter, which was caused by the failure of a damaged damper hose, which the senator said costs about $100,000.

“I think this committee wants to make sure we're providing our warfighters with the necessary funding to ensure that the equipment they're using is adequately maintained. It's pretty basic,” Tester told Adm. Mike Gilday, chief of naval operations; and Gen. David Berger, Marine Corps commandant. “That means getting the necessary spare parts and safety equipment up front, not after something like this happens.”

He noted that the Navy and Marine Corps’ unfunded priorities lists—items that service leaders want but not enough to devote part of this year’s budget to—include some categories of spare parts for warships, F/A-18 fighter jets, MH-60S helicopters, and more.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2022/05/why-are-spare-parts-unfunded-list-senator-asks-cno/367477/

rebewranger

I think the real reason is liberals worry it would give the US an "unfair" advantage.  Everything must be equitable,  you know. :tongue2:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"August’s deadly crash of an MH-60S helicopter, which was caused by the failure of a damaged damper hose, which the senator said costs about $100,000."

Folks, I'm not that smart, but I have to ask:
What kind of "hose" costs $100,000...??

Offline PeteS in CA

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
"August’s deadly crash of an MH-60S helicopter, which was caused by the failure of a damaged damper hose, which the senator said costs about $100,000."

Folks, I'm not that smart, but I have to ask:
What kind of "hose" costs $100,000...??

The hose costs $50 (and likely far less), the rest goes down some govt dark project rathole...
The Republic is lost.