Author Topic: In Tokyo, Biden says would be willing to use force to defend Taiwan  (Read 934 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In Tokyo, Biden says would be willing to use force to defend Taiwan
Thai PBS, May 23, 2022

TOKYO, May 23 (Reuters) – U.S. President Joe Biden said on Monday he would be willing to use force to defend Taiwan, in a series of critical comments about China he made in Tokyo that an aide said represented no change in U.S. policy on the self-ruled island.

Biden’s comment, made during his first visit to Japan since taking office, and as Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida looked on, appeared to be a departure from existing U.S. policy of so-called strategic ambiguity on Taiwan.

China considers the democratic island its territory, part of “one China”, and says it is the most sensitive and important issue in its ties with the United States.

When a reporter asked Biden during a joint news conference with the Japanese leader if the United States would defend Taiwan if it were attacked, the president answered: “Yes.”

“That’s the commitment we made,” he said.

“We agree with a one-China policy. We’ve signed on to it and all the intended agreements made from there. But the idea that, that it can be taken by force, just taken by force, is just not, is just not appropriate.”

More:  https://www.thaipbsworld.com/in-tokyo-biden-says-would-be-willing-to-use-force-to-defend-taiwan/

FTA ..

The president’s national security aides shifted in their seats and appeared to be studying Biden closely as he responded to the question on Taiwan. Several looked down as he made what appeared to be an unambiguous commitment to Taiwan’s defence.

Biden made a similar comment about defending Taiwan in October. At that time, a White House spokesperson said Biden was not announcing any change in U.S. policy and one analyst referred to the comment as a “gaffe”.

Offline Hoodat

Reason #92 why people with dementia should not be dictating foreign policy
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Biden and his far-Left Liberal Cabal, are just itching for a World War for many reasons.
If it doesn't happen by others, then Biden will make sure it happen himself.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Reason #92 why people with dementia should not be dictating foreign policy

Any of it.

Newsmax
@newsmax

China is holding military exercises in the disputed South China Sea coinciding with U.S. President Joe Biden’s visits to South Korea and Japan that are largely focused on countering the perceived threat from Beijing.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/china-military-exercises/2022/05/23/id/1071018/

8:06 AM · May 23, 2022  Emplifi

Online mountaineer

NYT reporter:
Jonathan Martin
@jmartNYT
Morning !
TOKYO — President Biden indicated on Monday that he would use military force to defend Taiwan if it were ever attacked by China…repeating even more unequivocally statements that his staff tried to walk back in the past
7:06 AM · May 23, 2022
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Michael Tracey
@mtracey

Just watch the video -- to dismiss it simply as Biden "misspeaking" is utterly ridiculous. "Misspeaking" used to mean when you flub a word, or mess up the subject/predicate of a sentence. Not when you're uncomfortably forthright about your policy intent

Video: 
https://youtu.be/YaRnlsyhD7M

12:24 PM · May 23, 2022  Twitter Web App

Offline DefiantMassRINO

If we make more semi-conductors in America, defending Taiwan would be optional.

If the Chi-coms take Taiwain, our high-tech military and economy collapse.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

If we make more semi-conductors in America, defending Taiwan would be optional.

If the Chi-coms take Taiwain, our high-tech military and economy collapse.

They collapse, or else they become beholden to China, and who knows how many bugs, and backdoors, those semiconductors will contain.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They collapse, or else they become beholden to China, and who knows how many bugs, and backdoors, those semiconductors will contain.
WILL? I don't trust anything that we don't produce, and even then I worry about the Chinese having agents in place in laboratories and factories.

Offline Kamaji

WILL? I don't trust anything that we don't produce, and even then I worry about the Chinese having agents in place in laboratories and factories.

If agents are the problem, then they could just as easily have agents in U.S.-based fabrication facilities as in Taiwanese facilities.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What he is really doing is hinting to the Chinese that he MIGHT support Taiwan unless they can make an "appropriate" cash "gift" to one of his offshore accounts.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

If agents are the problem, then they could just as easily have agents in U.S.-based fabrication facilities as in Taiwanese facilities.
Kind of the whole point of my post, no?

Online GtHawk

What he is really doing is hinting to the Chinese that he MIGHT support Taiwan unless they can make an "appropriate" cash "gift" to one of his offshore accounts.
Pete I think that would be an "appropriate increase in their cash gift"

Offline Kamaji

Kind of the whole point of my post, no?

Except that it proves too much.  If moles and agents are always going to render the product questionable, then it doesn't really matter where it's produced, because the risk is just as much there with an American manufacturer as with a Chinese manufacturer.

Mark Ames
@MarkAmesExiled

Every gambler knows if you just lost a two-front war against Iraq & Afghanistan, you’re due for a big win in a two-front war against China & Russia

9:54 AM · May 23, 2022   Twitter for iPhone

Michael Tracey
@mtracey

"To be clear, the problem isn't that Joe Biden is threatening a multi-front global war against China and Russia. That's fine."

Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro
 · 21h

To be clear, the problem isn't that Joe Biden says that the US will intervene militarily if Taiwan is invaded. The problem is that it's totally unclear if that's true or if we even have the capacity to do so, and it's even more unclear when his own White House keeps shushing him.

3:44 PM · May 23, 2022·Twitter Web App

Senate Foreign Relations Committee
@SFRCdems

President Biden is right. Credible deterrence requires both courage and clarity – and Taiwan’s vibrant democracy deserves our full support.

12:41 PM · May 23, 2022  Twitter for iPhone

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC

President Biden’s statement that if push came to shove the U.S. would defend Taiwan against communist China was the right thing to say and the right thing to do.

1:40 PM · May 23, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC

Abandoning Taiwan to communist China would be abandoning democracy itself. It would lead to major cracks in world order and world security that would take generations to recover from.

Gingrich on 'Fox & Friends': Biden was right about Taiwan and 'his staff is nuts'
Fox News, May 23, 2022

More w/video:  https://www.foxnews.com/media/gingrich-biden-taiwan-support-right-staff

Michael Tracey
@mtracey

This bill authored and promoted by Rick Scott contains a provision granting open-ended authority to the President to wage war against China. So that's his big alternative plan

Rick Scott
@SenRickScott

Twice @POTUS has said America would defend Taiwan if invaded, and twice the White House has walked it back.

The Senate should take Biden at his word, end the confusion and pass my Taiwan Invasion Prevention Act to clearly say that we have Taiwan’s back.

10:40 AM · May 23, 2022  Twitter Web App

6:35 PM · May 23, 2022   Twitter Web App

May God help us ...

Michael Tracey
@mtracey

The idea of the US fighting a multi-front global war against China and Russia is absolutely batshit insane. Journalists, politicians, and Think Tankers are doing a great job conditioning the public to accept that this insane outcome is not just unavoidable, but good.

8:00 PM · May 23, 2022·Twitter Web App

Online mountaineer

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
Abandoning Taiwan to communist China would be abandoning democracy itself. It would lead to major cracks in world order and world security that would take generations to recover from.
On cue, the guy who never saw a war he didn't love pipes up.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org