Author Topic: Net Zero? India Plans to DOUBLE Coal Use by 2040  (Read 295 times)

rebewranger

Net Zero? India Plans to DOUBLE Coal Use by 2040
« on: May 15, 2022, 04:58:01 pm »

Net Zero? India Plans to DOUBLE Coal Use by 2040
2 days ago Eric Worrall 64 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

h/t JoNova; As the USA and Europe retreat from prosperity, India seems determined to overtake China, with a 400 million ton boost to coal production in the next two years, and a massive relaxation of environmental rules and other incentives to boost coal mining and industry.

MAY 11, 2022

India relaxes environment rules for coal mines, citing heatwave

India has relaxed environmental compliance rules for coal mines seeking to ramp up production as power outages exacerbate a sweltering heatwave, a government notice showed.

In a letter dated May 7 seen by AFP, the Environment Ministry said it has allowed a “special dispensation” to the Ministry of Coal to relax certain requirements—like public consultations—so mines could operate at increased capacities.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/05/12/net-zero-india-plans-to-double-coal-use-by-2040/

Online Hoodat

Re: Net Zero? India Plans to DOUBLE Coal Use by 2040
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 05:15:38 pm »
And they're getting it on the cheap since politics have caused Western demand to plummet.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 12:55:00 pm »
And they're getting it on the cheap since politics have caused Western demand to plummet.
Actually, coal is at an alltime high as prices have gone up almost 300% over the past year. 

See graph in reference.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal

I have been following coal trends and seen some outstanding growth in coal company stocks within my portfolio during this time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:56:50 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 02:04:19 pm »
Actually, coal is at an alltime high as prices have gone up almost 300% over the past year. 

See graph in reference.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal

I have been following coal trends and seen some outstanding growth in coal company stocks within my portfolio during this time.

Dang, we should be cranking it out then.  Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Montana, Wyoming - they should all be booming.  I wonder what government regulation stands in the way of that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 02:22:44 pm »

Most Indian coal is mined in India itself.  Much of the coal shortage is self-inflicted.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 03:07:48 pm »

Most Indian coal is mined in India itself.  Much of the coal shortage is self-inflicted.
Almost 80% of all coal used in India comes from India but is of very poor quality.  For steel making, a higher grade of coal is required from imports.

About 3/4 of all electricity used in India comes from burning coal, a far higher percent than even China which has over a thousand coal power stations.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 03:22:19 pm »
Almost 80% of all coal used in India comes from India but is of very poor quality.  For steel making, a higher grade of coal is required from imports.

About 3/4 of all electricity used in India comes from burning coal, a far higher percent than even China which has over a thousand coal power stations.

True enough.  I believe that they get their imported coal mostly from Indonesia, Australia, and South Africa.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 07:18:42 pm »
India also uses thorium reactors for electricity generation.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 07:30:21 pm »
India also uses thorium reactors for electricity generation.

I don't believe they currently have reactors that use thorium as a feedstock.  They do have large reserves of thorium, and have developed plans for using thorium in part of their overall reactor cycle:  https://thediplomat.com/2020/09/indias-ambitious-nuclear-power-plan-and-whats-getting-in-its-way/