Author Topic: Mayor Adams ‘very concerned’ about SCOTUS ruling that could lift NY open carry ban  (Read 593 times)

Offline Kamaji

Eric Adams ‘very concerned’ about SCOTUS ruling that could lift NY open carry ban

By Bernadette Hogan
May 12, 2022

Mayor Eric Adams is “very concerned” about the possible reversal of a state ban prohibiting New Yorkers from openly carrying loaded firearms on city streets, especially as the Big Apple has been struggling to combat a surge in gun violence.

“This is a significant issue for our city: it is the right to carry. After what we saw what the Supreme Court did on abortions, we should be very afraid,” said Adams during an unrelated press conference in Harlem Thursday morning, referring to a pending gun rights case before the US Supreme Court that could have serious impacts on New York law.

“In a densely populated community like New York, this ruling could have a major impact on us,” the mayor said.

The nation’s highest court is expected to decide a final ruling within the coming months on whether New York’s restrictions would be loosened regarding who is eligible to own and openly carry guns in places like subways, airports, churches and other gathering places.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/05/12/eric-adams-very-concerned-about-scotus-ruling-that-could-lift-ny-open-carry-ban/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"An armed society is a polite society" (R. Heinlein)

Wonder how "polite" NYC could become with all those "arms" in open view...?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"An armed society is a polite society" (R. Heinlein)

Wonder how "polite" NYC could become with all those "arms" in open view...?

@Fishrrman

Well,given that it is a cesspool filled with hostile cretins who are used to saying and doing any damn thing they feel like without consequences,I predict a LOT of gunfire the first few days,and not so much after that.

Gonna be a LOT of shot up homies.

Call it "a learning period" while adjustments are made.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@Fishrrman

Well,given that it is a cesspool filled with hostile cretins who are used to saying and doing any damn thing they feel like without consequences,I predict a LOT of gunfire the first few days,and not so much after that.

My prediction? Any fool that goes out and open carries better have 360 degree situational awareness and never relax or they will be blind sided, beat down and robbed of their weapon... at the very least. To use a quote from the old movie Operation Petticoat as an example of what I mean: I was born and raised in a neighborhood called Noah's Ark. If you didn't travel in pairs, you just didn't travel. The prospect of free guns will draw out the animals like never before. Does that mean I don't think people should walk around armed? Hell NO, I think people should have the right to carry concealed, when the animals don't know who or how many are armed is when safety increase by an order of magnitude.

Don't dilute my 2A rights, I should be able to carry what I want, how I want and when I want!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
My prediction? Any fool that goes out and open carries better have 360 degree situational awareness and never relax or they will be blind sided, beat down and robbed of their weapon... at the very least. To use a quote from the old movie Operation Petticoat as an example of what I mean: I was born and raised in a neighborhood called Noah's Ark. If you didn't travel in pairs, you just didn't travel. The prospect of free guns will draw out the animals like never before. Does that mean I don't think people should walk around armed? Hell NO, I think people should have the right to carry concealed, when the animals don't know who or how many are armed is when safety increase by an order of magnitude.

Don't dilute my 2A rights, I should be able to carry what I want, how I want and when I want!

@GtHawk

I couldn't agree more.

PLUS,if you are attacked and you are carrying concealed,you have the tactical advantage of surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@GtHawk

I couldn't agree more.

PLUS,if you are attacked and you are carrying concealed,you have the tactical advantage of surprise.
Attacks will be ambush style, with spotters alerting attackers of approaching marks.
This won't be one-on-one until people figure this stuff out. Travel in pairs or threes.
We aren't dealing with the sort of folks who would deal with you face to face, but hit from the shadows, and from behind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Attacks will be ambush style, with spotters alerting attackers of approaching marks.
This won't be one-on-one until people figure this stuff out. Travel in pairs or threes.
We aren't dealing with the sort of folks who would deal with you face to face, but hit from the shadows, and from behind.

@Smokin Joe

That sort of thing never has bothered me. I always "carried according to conditions". If I was walking around in a city,I carried a 3 inch  hammerless DAO 44 Special loaded with 200 grain Silvertip hollowpoints in my coat pocket,with my hand in that pocket and the gun in my hand. No problem shooting right through the pocket if neccessary. I learned a long time ago to NEVER take out a handgun and display it to someone who is trying to attack you because the SOB's will report you to the po-po for having a concealed weapon,and you are toast if they describe it. Better to just warn them you are armed,and lie about what you have. Say it's a revolver if it is a semi-auto,and say it is a semi-auto if it is a revolver. Lie about the caliber,too.

Otherwise I was  usually carrying the custom 45 ACP Combat Commander I built,loaded with the "banzi" handloads I loaded up for it. They were so hot if you shot one in a standard 1911A1,you could actually HEAR the slide go "clang!" when it went into battery. Regular GI ball rounds wouldn't even cycle enough eject a casing when fired in my Combat Commander. Yet it was insanely accurate.

I am NOT what anyone would call a "sporting fellow". The only reason I carry a handgun is I can't conceal my Ithaca Model 37 pump gun in my pocket.

Offline verga

@Fishrrman

There are already a lot of shot up homies. NYC, Chicago, Detroit, all are leaders in Black on Black crime. 13% of the population kills itself at an astounding rate.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It must be no surprise to a newyorker that Adams is a major disappointment.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.