Author Topic: Astronomers reveal first image of ‘gentle giant’ black hole at center of Milky Way  (Read 325 times)

Offline Kamaji

Astronomers reveal first image of ‘gentle giant’ black hole at center of Milky Way

By Joshua Rhett Miller
May 12, 2022

Astronomers on Thursday gave the world the first glimpse of the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy – some 27,000 light years away from Earth.

The otherworldly image of the black hole – Sagittarius A* – is just the second such photo to ever be produced, coming three years after the international Event Horizon Telescope collaboration unveiled the first view of a black hole at the center of a far-distant galaxy.

“We were stunned by how well the size of the ring agreed with predictions from Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity,” EHT scientist Geoffrey Bower said in a statement announcing the historic view of the gentle giant 4 million times as massive as the sun.

The “unprecedented” look at the center of the Milky Way galaxy, which contains at least 100 billion stars, has greatly improved astronomers’ understanding of how giant black holes interact with their surroundings, Bower said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/05/12/image-of-gentle-giant-black-hole-at-milky-ways-center/

Offline Kamaji

Online DefiantMassRINO

Is ‘gentle giant’ black hole akin to 'clean diesel'?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
It’s incredible
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

It’s incredible

Indeed.  I wonder if the new Webb telescope will be able to take some pictures of it.  If so, those pictures should be stunning.