Author Topic: Yellen: Banning abortion would be 'very damaging' to U.S. economy.  (Read 561 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Yellen: Banning abortion would be 'very damaging' to U.S. economy

Victoria Guida
Tue, May 10, 2022, 10:07 AM

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Tuesday argued that banning abortion would be “very damaging” for the economy by reducing women’s ability to balance their careers and their families.

“I believe that eliminating the right of women to make decisions about when and whether to have children would have very damaging effects on the economy and would set women back decades,” she said in response to a question at a Senate Banking Committee hearing.

The disclosure of a draft Supreme Court decision that would overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark case that guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights, has set off a firestorm across the country as people grapple with the possibility that terminating a pregnancy could become illegal in some states.

In her comments, Yellen said the 1973 ruling helped allow women to finish school and increase their earning potential, leading to higher participation in the workforce.

“Research also shows that it had a favorable impact on the well-being and earnings of children,” she said. “There are many research studies that have been done over the years looking at the economic impacts of access or lack thereof to abortion, and it makes clear that denying women access to abortion increases their odds of living in poverty or need for public assistance.”

more
https://news.yahoo.com/yellen-banning-abortion-very-damaging-150750615.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

Re: Yellen: Banning abortion would be 'very damaging' to U.S. economy.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 06:01:57 pm »
If Janet and the Federal Reserve had not ruined our economy women would not have to worry about  'women’s ability to balance their careers and their families'.  Two income families would be an option not a necessity.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 06:02:30 pm »
:facepalm2:

She's running this up the flag-pole to try and build some idiotic case that abortion is an economic matter, and therefore a fit subject for Congress to legislate on under the Commerce Clause.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 06:05:39 pm »
:facepalm2:

She's running this up the flag-pole to try and build some idiotic case that abortion is an economic matter, and therefore a fit subject for Congress to legislate on under the Commerce Clause.

Well it does involve seed.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 06:15:24 pm »
Damaging to whose economy, murder incorporated or their official name PP? On the other hand has this incompetent thought about the boost it would bring to the travel industry with Bezos, Musk and others offering free travel, hotels and medical abortion vacays?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 06:17:53 pm by GtHawk »

Online Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 06:23:37 pm »
Damaging to whose economy, murder incorporated or their official name PP? On the other hand has this incompetent thought about the boost it would bring to the travel industry with Bezos, Musk and others offering free travel, hotels and medical abortion vacays?

The economy "at large".  It's the same sort of argument they tried in U.S. v. Lopez to support the Gun Free School Zones Act - i.e., that guns in schools negatively affected education, and that in turn negatively affected the economy, and therefore Congress could directly regulate the possession of guns in school zones under the Commerce Clause.

That is exactly the sort of argument Yellen is making:  lack of abortion availability makes it harder for women to complete school, and to get better-paying jobs, thereby "negatively affecting the national economy" and, therefore, can be regulated directly under the Commerce Clause.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 06:58:23 pm »
OMFG ... You never heard Alexander Hamilton make such a statement when he was Treasury Secretary.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 08:04:22 pm »

The economy "at large".  It's the same sort of argument they tried in U.S. v. Lopez to support the Gun Free School Zones Act - i.e., that guns in schools negatively affected education, and that in turn negatively affected the economy, and therefore Congress could directly regulate the possession of guns in school zones under the Commerce Clause.

That is exactly the sort of argument Yellen is making:  lack of abortion availability makes it harder for women to complete school, and to get better-paying jobs, thereby "negatively affecting the national economy" and, therefore, can be regulated directly under the Commerce Clause.
Sorry once again my attempt at sarcasm appears to have been underwhelming, I better look into using a sarcasm tag.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 08:06:53 pm »
OMFG ... You never heard Alexander Hamilton make such a statement when he was Treasury Secretary.
Well you never heard any federal official, let alone POTUS and VP advocate for the murder of innocents then either, at the least they would have been locked up in the madhouse.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 08:47:19 pm »
Sorry once again my attempt at sarcasm appears to have been underwhelming, I better look into using a sarcasm tag.

No worries.  It wasn't entirely lost on me.  And I am being serious in that I think she's trying to gin up support for precisely the sort of specious argument I outlined.

Quite honestly, if that argument were valid, it would prove too much, and would mean that Congress has the authority to directly regulate everything under the Commerce Clause, since just about every human activity has some sort of potential economic effect and, therefore, in the aggregate, everything everybody does has an effect on the national economy.

For example (and yes, this is a totally specious argument):  allowing people to avoid the annual flu vaccine voluntarily is likely to lead to more people getting the flu, which will mean that more people will be taking time off from work for sick days, thereby reducing aggregate economic output, and more people will be buying more tissues to blow their noses with, thereby resulting in greater sales of kleenex than would be the case if everyone got the flu vaccine.  Accordingly, each individual's decision whether or not to get the flu vaccine has a negative economic impact, and can therefore be regulated by Congress directly under the Commerce Clause - i.e., under the Commerce Clause, Congress can mandate that everyone get the flu vaccine each year.

Pretty damned stupid if you ask me, but that is how the left would like to use the Commerce Clause.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 09:57:24 pm »
Next this idiot will be claiming we need to go to war with Russia in order to bolster the economy.

Yellen has been a drag on our economy for the past two decades.

I consider her among the poster childs for those needed to be aborted.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:58:41 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 10:01:56 pm »
Kamaji wrote:
"if that argument were valid, it would prove too much, and would mean that Congress has the authority to directly regulate everything under the Commerce Clause, since just about every human activity has some sort of potential economic effect and, therefore, in the aggregate, everything everybody does has an effect on the national economy."

Well then...
(and I'm serious)
...Maybe it's time to amend the Constitution to REMOVE "the commerce clause" from the body of that document.

Is it time for that New Continental Congress yet...?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 10:13:01 pm »
More dead babies for a better economy!

It's a strange slogan, but probably makes sense to Democrats.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 12:07:18 am »
“Research also shows that it had a favorable impact on the well-being and earnings of children,” she said.

Abortion has a favorable impact on the well-being of children?  Seriously?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 12:53:22 am »
Eliminate elective abortions...
There are, however some 860,000 abortions in the US per year, so that would mean a 96% reduction in dead babies.

Leaving only those for 'victims of rape', (some 32,000 pregnancies a year in the US--estimated chance of getting pregnant in a rape is 5% https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8765248/). (not something I personally agree with, using rape as justification, but a common canard)

For starters, perhaps seeking convictions of rapists and, upon conviction, sentencing like you mean it, could reduce that number.

The only economic reduction might be the productivity of guys who were accused of rape so she could get rid of the inconvenient baby, even though the sex was actually consensual.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis