Author Topic: Garland says judges may consider criminal illegal immigrants' mental health when considering asylum  (Read 180 times)

rebewranger

Garland says judges may consider criminal illegal immigrants' mental health when considering asylum claims
A DOJ appeals board in 2014 said that mental health should not be considered when considering the seriousness of a crime
By Adam Shaw , Bill Melugin | Fox News

Attorney General Merrick Garland on Monday said that immigration judges can now consider the mental health status of an illegal immigrant convicted of an aggravated felony when considering their asylum claim or whether to withhold their deportation -- overruling a prior decision by a top immigration appeals board.

The Immigration and Nationality Act makes illegal immigrants ineligible for both asylum and withholding of removal -- where illegal immigrants are not returned because they have a fear of persecution if returned to their country of origin -- if they have been convicted of a "particularly serious crime" that constitutes a danger to the community.

The DOJ’s Executive Office for Immigration Review’s Board of Immigration Appeals had previously ruled in 2014 (in a case known as "Matter of G-G-S") that, when judging that seriousness of the crime, "a person’s mental health is not a factor to be considered in a particularly serious crime analysis" given that judges are not to go beyond the decisions of the criminal judge, and that mental condition does not relate to the conviction and the facts that make them a danger to the community.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/garland-judges-criminal-illegal-immigrants-mental-health-asylum-claim

rebewranger

He also went on to say anyone north or south of the equator is automatically qualified as a lunatic. :headbang: :headbang:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Awesome, so not only does the traitor Garland want criminal illegals to remain in the country...free to commit more felonies, he wants us to take on the mentally ill felons from south of the border to roam our streets and all no doubt funded by taxpayer dollars.

Biden, Harris and every other politician or government stooge like Garland that commit willful treason against the Republic and it's lawful citizens should be ......

This is where I stop short in an effort to keep from having a visit from the Biden SS.

Online rustynail

Do definitions of 'mental health' differ with culture and location?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Do definitions of 'mental health' differ with culture and location?
I don't know about definitions but pretty sure south of the border they call them Loco while here in the US they call them democrats.

rebewranger

One thing for sure.  In this country, Alzheimer's  isn't  considered a mental health problem. :whistle: