Author Topic: Ukraine 2  (Read 99492 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Ukraine 2
« Reply #675 on: May 20, 2022, 03:44:43 am »
Congress bans arms to Ukraine militia linked to neo-Nazis
The Hill,  Mar 27, 2018

A little-noticed provision in the 2,232-page government spending bill passed last week bans U.S. arms from going to a controversial ultranationalist militia in Ukraine that has openly accepted neo-Nazis into its ranks.

House-passed spending bills for the past three years have included a ban on U.S. aid to Ukraine from going to the Azov Battalion, but the provision was stripped out before final passage each year.

This year, though, the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill signed into law last week stipulates that “none of the funds made available by this act may be used to provide arms, training or other assistance to the Azov Battalion.”

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #676 on: May 20, 2022, 03:57:03 am »
The truth about the Azov Battalion has been know for years and years.   I'm still trying to understand why so many have such difficulty accepting this.

There's only one poster here having difficulty accepting the truth.  Here it is again:

Factbox-Last Defenders of Mariupol: What Is Ukraine's Azov Regiment?

May 17, 2022, at 5:36 a.m.

(Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin looks poised to take full control of Ukraine's southeastern port city of Mariupol after the apparent surrender of the last Ukrainian forces holed up at a vast steel works.

At the core of that last stand has been the Azov Regiment whose fighters are lionised as heroes in Ukraine, but reviled by Putin's Kremlin as a band of Russia-hating neo-Nazis.

AZOV'S ORIGINS

The Azov Regiment began as one of many militias of volunteer fighters who banded together to fight pro-Russian separatists backed by Moscow who carved out two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine in 2014 after Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula.

Mariupol is the spiritual home of the Azov Regiment which it helped Ukraine recapture from pro-Russian fighters in 2014 and where it had a permanent base until the 2022 invasion.

The militia emerged from Andriy Biletskiy's Patriot of Ukraine organisation that critics say championed white nationalist, anti-immigrant extreme-right ideas.

Its logo resembles a black "wolfsangel", a symbol that was used by some Nazi units and is seen by critics as neo-Nazi. The Azov say the logo represents the letters N and I of "national idea" and deny it is neo-Nazi.

Patriot of Ukraine later renamed itself the National Corps and, despite allying with other nationalist parties, failed to win election in 2019. The U.S. State Department labelled the National Corps a "nationalist hate group" in 2018.

Reporting Radicalism, a Freedom House-backed group investigating political extremism in Ukraine, says Biletskiy has written several openly racist texts. Biletskiy denies holding racist or neo-Nazi views and says he believes in values-based nationalism.

The Stanford Center for International Security and Cooperation describes the group as "an extreme-right nationalist paramilitary organisation based in Ukraine".

NATIONAL GUARD

In 2014, the Azov militia was folded into Ukraine's National Guard - a military wing of the interior ministry. Kyiv says it has been reformed away from its radical nationalist origins and that it has nothing to do with politics.

"They are the official army of our state. Anyone who wanted to be involved in politics - they left and are now in politics. Those who decided to serve in the Armed Forces became part of the Armed Forces," President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in an interview with Greek channel ERT on May 1.

In a statement to CNN last month, Azov said it "appreciates and respects Andriy Biletskiy as the regiment's founder and first commander, but we have nothing to do with his political activities and the National Corps party".

The statement said that Azov's "motivation has always angered Russia. Therefore, disinformation attacks on the Azov Regiment have not stopped since 2014".

It denies allegations of fascism, Nazism and racism and says that Ukrainians from various backgrounds including Greeks, Jews, Crimean Tatars, and Russians serve in Azov.

The regiment's current and fourth commander is Denys Prokopenko, who has been dubbed a Hero of Ukraine by Zelenskiy, who is Jewish.  .  .  .

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-05-17/factbox-last-defenders-of-mariupol-what-is-ukraines-azov-regiment
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #677 on: May 20, 2022, 03:57:41 am »
The truth about the Azov Battalion has been know for years and years.   I'm still trying to understand why so many have such difficulty accepting this.

Their history is what prompted this Congressional (in)action.....
I wasn't questioning that there are a relatively few localized troops there who call themselves the Azov Battalion who harbor such severe anticommunist sentiments they are 'neo'-Nazis.

Lest we forget, Hitler himself was fighting Communists in his rise to power, and with Operation Barbarossa, really went after Stalin, so, in that sense I can see the idealogy that might develop over a false dichotomy that one was either one or the other. Totalitarianism has a certain appeal to some folks, and they chose their flavor.
Which completely left out concepts like equal Rights, which most Americans embrace.

But in no universe known to humankind, is either totalitarian government one of equal opportunity or a paragon of human rights. I place the Communists at the top of that totalitarian dungheap because there are so many more of them in power, they are eminently better liars, and most of the real Nazis are dead (good riddance!).

If we could, finding the Nazis to be a prevailing threat in the 1940s, ally with Stalinist Communists to eliminate that threat, then certainly, no matter how distasteful we find their ideology, we could at least consider, for the purposes of this conflict, that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The paltry few who embrace Nazi ideology are a far smaller threat to the harmony of international relations and welfare of all nations than latter-day retread Communists who rattle nuclear sabers at the world.

It is pretty damned close to the sort of rationale that allowed Roosevelt and Churchill and Stalin to sit at the same conference table and hammer out deals to defeat Hitler, only without giving entire nations away to the Communist yoke in the process. The Azov Battalion may have been a thorn in Putin's side, but are in no danger of causing some resurgence of the Third Reich because many of their fundamental beliefs have been thoroughly discredited among the civilized peoples of the planet.

Unfortunately, Communist Imperialism is one of the greatest threats today, and appears to be growing in a whole spectrum of flavors, worldwide.

Choose your side wisely. Be careful what you wish for.

Discrediting the concept of modern Communist imperialism, militarily, from a distance, despite the corrupt tools we have in office to make that happen should be, I would think, a desirable outcome. Feather Merchants and thieves are nothing new, either.

In this case I am having a hard time celebrating the demise of any who have resisted the Russian invasion of Ukraine, regardless of their ideology. They were willing to die for their beliefs, which commands a modicum of respect, and if they have been captured, there is a very good chance they will, in fact, die anyway, if the Russian treatment of prisoners in the past is any indication.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #678 on: May 20, 2022, 07:16:20 am »
And you've still not explained what you mean by this hyperbole @DB  ------  Why not give it a shot?

@Right_in_Virginia  @DB

What he means is you are what is called "a surrender monkey". Back in the 50's,people like you were identified as the "Better Red than dead" crowd.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #679 on: May 20, 2022, 10:34:08 am »
@Right_in_Virginia  @DB

What he means is you are what is called "a surrender monkey". Back in the 50's,people like you were identified as the "Better Red than dead" crowd.

Well, @sneakypete   --- lucky for me we're not living in the 1950s. 

We've no reason to involve this nation in a border conflict 5,000 miles away that has been ongoing for 100 years and will continue for at least another hundred.  Prioritizing Ukraine's border integrity over our own further weakens the United States and accelerates our own demise.

We've no reason to further bankrupt this nation to arm the Ukranian military and pay the salaries of Ukrainian government employees, period ----- but we do have dozens of reasons NOT to at a time when our economy is unraveling before our eyes in real time.  The combined financial and military might of the European Union is sufficient to handle the skirmishes in its own neighborhood.  Let them.

Ukraine is not an ally, not a member of NATO and we have no obligation to put its needs before those of the United States.  Ukraine is a black hole of international corruption masquerading as a nation.  Transport Ukraine's border conflict to Africa and it wouldn't be on our radar, never mind the near obsession it has become.

Every so-called "threat" to the United States by the Russia/Ukraine border conflict has been created, managed and amplified by our own lying government.  There is no valid reason for our involvement.

Without apology:   Today, in the year 2022, I remain opposed to surrendering the United States to Ukraine.. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #680 on: May 20, 2022, 10:52:28 am »
Re:  Reply #677

I read your post a few times @Smokin Joe and thank you for the reply.

I'd like to respond to it, but I'm a little confused.  When I feel confident I've understood your thesis, you appear to modify it in the next paragraph.

This is a sincere, snark-free question:  Have you a bottom line summary of your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #681 on: May 20, 2022, 11:09:33 am »
'It's meaningless to hope for victory': Top Russian ex-spy turned influencer warns Putin's offensive in Eastern Ukraine is going 'very bad', troops will suffer 'huge losses' while their leadership leaves 'much to be desired'

By CHRIS PLEASANCE FOR MAILONLINE
20 May 2022

Russia has virtually no hope of winning its war in Ukraine even if it manages to seize the whole of Donbas in the coming weeks, a former spy and commander who was instrumental in starting the original conflict has said.

Igor Girkin - who goes by the nom-de-guerre Igor Strelkov, meaning 'shooter' - has given a withering assessment of Putin's war effort, saying that Russian units are suffering 'huge losses' by 'banging their heads against' deeply entrenched Ukrainian troops, and are being led by commanders who 'leave much to be desired.'

Despite Russia making piecemeal gains on the Donbas front in recent days - capturing towns around Popansa and pushing to encircle Severodonetsk - Strelkov says Ukraine is fast-mobilising new troops, rearming using Western weapons, and digging into new defensive positions that will be hard to overrun.

It is 'meaningless to hope for victory' without a general mobilisation of Russia's army, Strelkov argues, which Putin refuses to do because he is being molly-coddled by his inner circle into believing victory is still possible. As long he remains shielded from reality 'nothing will change, and when it does change... it will be too late to do anything.'

Once the Russian offensive grinds to a halt - something Strelkov predicts could happen as soon as mid-June - Ukraine will then switch to counter attacks as it did around Kyiv and Kharkiv, forcing Putin's commanders on to the back foot and likely pushing their badly-mauled units backwards - perhaps to their own borders.

But even if no counter-attacks come, Russia will be faced with the prospect of trying to hold a long front line against well-armed and newly-reinforced Ukrainian defenders who will refuse to give up the fight, all the while Russia's economy will flatline under sanctions.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10836379/Ukraine-war-Ex-Russian-commander-says-meaningless-hope-victory-Donbas.html

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #682 on: May 20, 2022, 11:11:46 am »
Putin's top security officials believe 'the war is lost' and a coup is a realistic possibility, Russia analyst says

By WILL STEWART FOR MAILONLINE
19 May 2022

Vladimir Putin's top security officials understand that the war in Ukraine is 'lost' and a coup is now a realistic possibility, a Russian analyst has predicted.

Christo Grozev, a Russia expert, believes GRU and FSB elites are the most likely to try and topple Putin, because they know the truth of what is happening on the ground.

And those elites are already looking for ways to move their money and families out of the country in anticipation of Putin falling, Grozev claims.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10833839/Ukraine-war-Putins-security-officials-know-war-lost-analyst-says.html

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #683 on: May 20, 2022, 12:07:32 pm »

We've no reason to involve this nation in a border conflict 5,000 miles away that has been ongoing for 100 years and will continue for at least another hundred.  Prioritizing Ukraine's border integrity over our own further weakens the United States and accelerates our own demise.

I find it so bizarre that Pete is maybe GWB's harshest critic, which I concur, but is almost in lock step embracing his nation building, and interventionist policies.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #684 on: May 20, 2022, 01:18:45 pm »
This thread is not about other TBR members. It's about current events in Ukraine. Keep it that way.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #685 on: May 20, 2022, 02:34:04 pm »
What I mean to say, Comrade… Russian colonel who dared to criticise Putin’s Ukraine invasion on state TV changes his tune days later to hail Russia's military might

By DAVID AVERRE and CHRIS PLEASANCE FOR MAILONLINE
20 May 2022

A retired Russian military commander has re-appeared on state television warning Ukrainian officials not to underestimate Russia's military and economic might, despite having disparaged his nation's war efforts live on air just days ago.

Mikhail Khodaryonok, a former air defence commander and graduate of some of the Soviet Union's top military schools, took to the stage yesterday where he waxed lyrical about the quality of Russian weapons and boasted about the strength of the military.

'The Russian Federation has not yet committed even a tenth of its military and economic potential.. so be careful what you wish for, gentlemen!' the colonel quipped.

'When a country buys Western-made equipment, it sometimes stops working or malfunctions right in the heat of battle.... our arms are different in their reliability - you get exactly the weapons described,' he declared.

But his comments directly contradicted his interview broadcast just days ago, when he appeared on the same show and gave a distinctly bleak prognosis for Russia's war.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10837007/Retired-Kremlin-colonel-gave-damning-assessment-Ukraine-invasion-suddenly-backtracks-claim.html

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #686 on: May 20, 2022, 02:34:50 pm »
What I mean to say, Comrade… Russian colonel who dared to criticise Putin’s Ukraine invasion on state TV changes his tune days later to hail Russia's military might

By DAVID AVERRE and CHRIS PLEASANCE FOR MAILONLINE
20 May 2022

A retired Russian military commander has re-appeared on state television warning Ukrainian officials not to underestimate Russia's military and economic might, despite having disparaged his nation's war efforts live on air just days ago.

Mikhail Khodaryonok, a former air defence commander and graduate of some of the Soviet Union's top military schools, took to the stage yesterday where he waxed lyrical about the quality of Russian weapons and boasted about the strength of the military.

'The Russian Federation has not yet committed even a tenth of its military and economic potential.. so be careful what you wish for, gentlemen!' the colonel quipped.

'When a country buys Western-made equipment, it sometimes stops working or malfunctions right in the heat of battle.... our arms are different in their reliability - you get exactly the weapons described,' he declared.

But his comments directly contradicted his interview broadcast just days ago, when he appeared on the same show and gave a distinctly bleak prognosis for Russia's war.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10837007/Retired-Kremlin-colonel-gave-damning-assessment-Ukraine-invasion-suddenly-backtracks-claim.html

Would that be the 7.62mm recantation?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #687 on: May 20, 2022, 03:07:09 pm »

We've no reason to involve this nation in a border conflict 5,000 miles away that has been ongoing for 100 years and will continue for at least another hundred.   

@Right_in_Virginia

"None are so blind as those who will not see."

You just keep telling yourself that if that is what you need to believe to get through the day.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #688 on: May 20, 2022, 03:28:46 pm »
Putin's top security officials believe 'the war is lost' and a coup is a realistic possibility, Russia analyst says

@Kamaji

That left the realm of "possibility" and turned into "Probability" almost immediately after the invasion began.

I don't know what passed through Putin's mind,other that to GUESS that he honestly believed the Ukrainians would just roll over on their backs and beg to not be hurt,but there is just no excuse for him to have continued the aggression after it because so obvious the invasion was stalled and there was no real hope of winning because the Ukrainians were NOT going to surrender.

And,to be honest,at that point it ceased being all about Putin because the few people in the Politburo that may have had the power/authority to tell him to back off didn't,so they all now share in the guilt and shame of losing a war THEY started.

It is no secret that one of the biggest challenges any of us face is to truly admit we made a mistake,and you can multiply this by a million when it comes to the creatures we call "national leaders". They all have egos the size of the known universe. This is what makes it so hard for them to admit to having made a mistake,and backing away from it.

The USUAL historic end-result has been the complete and total destruction of the losing nation,as well as the destruction of the culture they had been living under.

The problem here is that at no time in history has this ever happened to a nation that has nuclear arms.

All we can do is hope there are enough patriots in the Russian Army that are willing to place the survival of Russia and the Russian people ahead of self,and do whatever it is they have to do in order to get a leadership change and an end to the war.

This IS going to be hard to do because Russians seem to have an inferiority complex that makes them uber-defensive,and because the price they will have to pay will no only be high in Rubles to cover damages,but VERY high in bruised and battered egos.

The loss of money is nothing compared to the loss of ego. We can only hope the loss of their own lives and the lives of their families is more important to them than a big dent in their egos.

The only "bright star of hope" in this scenario is that some of the really "big boys in power" in Russia will be able to see through the temporary "bump in the road" to the point where they will come to be seen as "the saviors and new leaders of Russia" as Russia recovers and rebuilds.

Face it,ANY Russian pol that gets out ahead of this thing and calls for a retreat and the end of this war is going to take some dents at first,but the rewards are going to be enormous after the invasion ends and the troops come back to Russia.

Don't forget,this war was due to what the political leadership of Russia wanted,not the people of Russia. Once the typical Russian citizen finds out what it cost Russia in terms of global respect and status,dead and crippled for life young Russian troops,and national bankruptcy that will surely lead to things like food rationing and shortages of practically everything,it could really have a profound effect on the political direction Russia takes in the upcoming decades.

Who knows? She might even have actual elections?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #689 on: May 20, 2022, 04:20:15 pm »
This is a sincere, snark-free question:  Have you a bottom line summary of your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Good guys - Ukraine
Bad  guys  - Russia

It should become apparent once one checks the veracity of the claims that have been coming from Russia for the past ten years.  Take the "Azov Battalion" narrative, for example.  A militia unit was founded as a response to a 2014  Russian invasion, and was led by a political extremist.  By the end of that year, that leader was expelled, entering the field of politics instead.  The "Azov Battalion" was then incorporated into the Ukrainian National Guard, being given the new designation of "Azov Regiment".  Under the new authority of the Ukrainian Military, the unit ceased being a political militia.

Yet Russian propaganda has continued for eight years, painting a false narrative on its current status and designation.  That same false Russian propaganda has littered these boards for the past three months.   And no matter how many times that propaganda is exposed and discredited for the lies they are, it keeps getting posted.

Hope that helps.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #690 on: May 20, 2022, 04:27:52 pm »

Another fixed wing aircraft.  Another helicopter.  Five UAVs.  One artillery.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #691 on: May 20, 2022, 04:30:24 pm »
So this building was a well known target for those fighting the "Nazis" in Ukraine, and not even symbolically worth a bomb run?

Excellent point.  Schools, theaters, apartment buildings, all leveled to the ground.  Yet not a single strike on the building in this video.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #692 on: May 20, 2022, 04:30:59 pm »
It should become apparent once one checks.....

Hope that helps.

Respecfully @Hoodat  my post and question were not to you. Your 2,000 posts on these Ukraine threads have been illuminating enough for me.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:34:05 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #693 on: May 20, 2022, 04:41:27 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

"None are so blind as those who will not see."

I luv ya even more for your confession @sneakypete .....   

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:42:41 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #694 on: May 20, 2022, 05:37:05 pm »
Putin ally says the Ukraine war is a REHEARSAL for a bigger conflict between Russia and NATO and a 'learning experience'

By DAVID AVERRE FOR MAILONLINE
20 May 2022

A Russian political science professor has claimed the war in Ukraine could simply be a 'rehearsal' for a bigger conflict, allowing Russia's military to test and compare its firepower with that of NATO.

Alexei Fenenko, an associate professor at Moscow State University's school of world politics and a research fellow at the Institute of International Security Studies, made the incredible claim yesterday during a talk show on Kremlin-controlled TV channel Russia One.

'I think the war in Ukraine... is a rehearsal for a possible larger conflict in the future. We are testing our weapons against those of NATO, we will find out how much stronger our weapons are than theirs,' the professor declared.

'It could be a good learning experience for future conflicts,' he added, before talk show host Olga Skabeyeva interjected: 'It's a scary experiment.'

The outlandish statement is the latest example of the Kremlin's attempts to control the narrative surrounding its invasion of Ukraine, in which Putin's forces have suffered huge losses and are coming under counter-attacks along the eastern front in the Kharkiv, Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10837679/Putin-ally-says-Ukraine-war-REHEARSAL-bigger-conflict-Russia-NATO.html

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #695 on: May 20, 2022, 05:38:46 pm »
Putin ally says the Ukraine war is a REHEARSAL for a bigger conflict between Russia and NATO and a 'learning experience'

By DAVID AVERRE FOR MAILONLINE
20 May 2022

A Russian political science professor has claimed the war in Ukraine could simply be a 'rehearsal' for a bigger conflict, allowing Russia's military to test and compare its firepower with that of NATO.

Alexei Fenenko, an associate professor at Moscow State University's school of world politics and a research fellow at the Institute of International Security Studies, made the incredible claim yesterday during a talk show on Kremlin-controlled TV channel Russia One.

'I think the war in Ukraine... is a rehearsal for a possible larger conflict in the future. We are testing our weapons against those of NATO, we will find out how much stronger our weapons are than theirs,' the professor declared.

'It could be a good learning experience for future conflicts,' he added, before talk show host Olga Skabeyeva interjected: 'It's a scary experiment.'

The outlandish statement is the latest example of the Kremlin's attempts to control the narrative surrounding its invasion of Ukraine, in which Putin's forces have suffered huge losses and are coming under counter-attacks along the eastern front in the Kharkiv, Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10837679/Putin-ally-says-Ukraine-war-REHEARSAL-bigger-conflict-Russia-NATO.html

Ahh, so it wasn't about the liberation of the break-away provinces, or about de-nazi-fying Ukraine.  Now it's about proving how good Russian weapons are against NATO weapons.

:silly:

If that's the case, then Russia should be petitioning to join NATO because, to be perfectly honest, Russian weapons suck compared to NATO weapons.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #696 on: May 20, 2022, 05:47:45 pm »
Respecfully @Hoodat  my post and question were not to you. Your 2,000 posts on these Ukraine threads have been illuminating enough for me.

I had assumed you were wanting a "bottom line summary".  My mistake.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #697 on: May 20, 2022, 05:50:05 pm »
Re:  Reply #677

I read your post a few times @Smokin Joe and thank you for the reply.

I'd like to respond to it, but I'm a little confused.  When I feel confident I've understood your thesis, you appear to modify it in the next paragraph.

Thanks in advance.
Certainly. You have consistently sided with the Communists in this, or perhaps just against Ukraine, frequently citing the false dichotomy that because the Ukrainians are not Communist, and in fact a small minority of the Ukrainian army (one unit) have claimed or been claimed to be Nazis, that all are Nazis. Another common theme is that because the career Russian puppets before Zelenskyy were corrupt and in bed with the Biden Family, that somehow means a person who was rich when he took office without having previously held any political position must be corrupt, too.(Which would make as much sense as saying because Obama was corrupt, Trump (also a rich guy and first time office holder) must be corrupt, too.)

Maybe the Nazi under the bed is the source of your angst, but frankly, the rare few who actually swallow that line of totalitarianism are not a significant enough threat in the geopolitical reality of today to embrace the very Communist ideology that is tearing this country apart and has enslaved well over a third of the world's population, not to mention murdering close to a hundred million people in the last century.

Even today, those who embrace Communism have been and are calling any opposition "Nazis".
Don't like 'woke"? You're a Nazi.
Aren't buying the nonbinary gender bullshit? You're a "Nazi".
Nothing new, this same 'logic' has been going on since the '60s. Communist radicals then called anyone not on board with their crap a "Nazi", too.
Agree with Tucker Carlson? Yep, you guessed it, because he isn't sucking up to the Communists.

So it is only natural and normal that the Russians would be calling anyone and everyone opposed to them "Nazis". After all, it evokes memories to the glory days of the "Great Patriotic War" (even though Stalin was in bed with Hitler until Hitler kicked him out), against the Nazis, (Which, aside from keeping Stalin from being deposed, turned into a fine opportunity to subjugate a significant part of Europe, which incidentally, was what Hitler was up to, too).

Don't think for a second that some Americans didn't get filthy rich supplying the Soviets during the second World War, too. The more money is flying around, the more of an emergency there is, the more opportunities there are for graft and corruption, especially close to the source of those funds.  Biden's bunch will have their cut long before a cartridge comes out of the other end of the pipeline.

You constantly mention the Azov Battalion as "Nazis", and so they claim, or at least some of them. However, they are shooting at the Neo-Communists of Russia, and resisting the seizure of the Eastern Provinces of the Ukraine by Russian (Neo-Communist) Imperialism.  Putin's stated goal is to reconstitute the USSR, albeit under a different brand name, but key to that strategy is the control of energy supplies to Western Europe. Georgia was invaded to prevent a pipeline that would have undermined Russian Energy Hegemony over Europe. The whole green New Deal has, at its Socialist roots, the aim of crippling the west's industry, as has the Environmental movement since the KGB started dropping money into outfits like Greenpeace and others in the 1970s. The Eastern Provinces of Ukraine have nearly 90% of the country's oil production, significant manufacturing and coal, and controlling the ports means Russia would control grain shipments (which haven't been interfered with, so long as the grain is on Russian ships).  This is a naked attempt to lock up resources or flat-out steal them at gunpoint, and hold Europe hostage by controlling those same resources.

I am all for self-determination, and Russia should butt out. Ukraine can deal with their own disagreements, but the minute someone who wasn't a Russian puppet is in power, Russia decides to go "liberating separatist provinces" like they did in Bosnia, and Georgia, and Eastern Europe before they rebranded the Soviet Union and declared communism "dead".  Communism has never been so healthy as it is post-mortem.

To this end, propaganda is a tool that has been one of the sharpest arrows in the quiver of the Communists since Kaiser Wilhelm sent Lenin to stir up trouble in Russia, down to the very name "Bolshevik". The Russians are very good at disinformation, misinformation, and outright lying as tools to gain and retain international sympathy and power.

We Americans used to be very sensitive to the phraseology and techniques and even the artwork, but they have refined their craft, and we have become numbed to the normal triggers and indicators by the Orwellian language used by our own government, and the soviet-like degradation of art since the 1930s.

The Russians, locked into dichotomous reasoning in Europe will naturally harp on Nazis to evoke every deserved negative sentiment toward that flavor of totalitarianism, but that doesn't make the Russian flavor any more palatable for anyone who yearns to set their own course in their own country, regardless of that latter outcome.

I have a hard time not seeing Russia crowing about destroying the headquarters of the Azov Battalion to demoralize the unit, and the building shown (in better shape than many American High Schools), really doesn't indicate anything to me that couldn't be set up to parade reporters through, complete with a 'guide'.

Bottom line, though, in any conflict, is that those people shooting at your enemy are likely people you can work with, no matter how distasteful you may or may not find their philosophy. As I said before, these people have put their lives on the line to defend their homeland. They are a minority in their own country. Many have died, and those who surrendered probably will, too, because the Russians have a long history of treating prisoners very poorly.

Naturally, the Russians will accuse them of perpetrating any horrors the Russians perpetrated. It's a common propaganda tool used by anyone from that camp (see also how the Left in America accuses those "nazis" who disagree with them of the same crimes they, themselves, commit).

But that only addresses the rhetoric of the Russians and their sympathizers, predictably driven into the Russian camp by the mention of Nazis, as intended by those who emphasize it.

The bottom line is that we have no boots on the ground in Ukraine, provide no air cover, and that the Ukrainians are fighting for their right to self-determination, aided by the supply of weapons from the West. They have a slew of political parties over there, most minor, but it seems all but the Communists "separatists" (like there were in Bosnia and Georgia), and likely some Russian plants/recruits, want to fight for the opportunity to sort their own government out without a Russian puppet at the helm. 

We aren't "Nation Building" and should not be. Provide the Ukrainians the tools they need to build their own nation without the Russians running it, and leave them to it. We have no troops on the ground--nor should we. We have no planes in the air--nor should we.

What could be more American than providing the tools for another nation to determine their own destiny?
If we are honest about it, it was the French Navy keeping Cornwallis' troops from being evacuated that led to the surrender at Yorktown and winning our freedom to decide for ourselves what course we would take.
Since then, we have intervened on behalf of many, but here is a rare opportunity to do so without direct troop involvement.

As for the kleptocracy in DC, they see an opportunity for skimming anything and everything from claimed direct aid to kickbacks from weapons contracts. Emergency funding is seldom fully scrutinized and rides a populist wave through Congress, which means enhanced opportunities to siphon off fortunes, and the more, the better to skim it.

Those sh*tbirds will find a way to loot the public coffers anyway, at least a trickle of this will go to a cause I can support--arming people to determine their own government.

This
In this case I am having a hard time celebrating the demise of any who have resisted the Russian invasion of Ukraine, regardless of their ideology. They were willing to die for their beliefs, which commands a modicum of respect, and if they have been captured, there is a very good chance they will, in fact, die anyway, if the Russian treatment of prisoners in the past is any indication.
does not contradict anything I said.

If there was some other paragraph you had a problem with, be more specific, and perhaps I can address your confusion.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #698 on: May 20, 2022, 05:50:28 pm »

By WILL STEWART FOR MAILONLINE
19 May 2022

Vladimir Putin's top security officials understand that the war in Ukraine is 'lost' and a coup is now a realistic possibility, a Russian analyst has predicted.

Christo Grozev, a Russia expert, believes GRU and FSB elites are the most likely to try and topple Putin, because they know the truth of what is happening on the ground.

And those elites are already looking for ways to move their money and families out of the country in anticipation of Putin falling, Grozev claims.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10833839/Ukraine-war-Putins-security-officials-know-war-lost-analyst-says.html

Lets hope there is truth in this. I think getting rid of Putin won't be very easy. He has been in power for a long time and in a country so corrupt that is no easy feat.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2022, 05:52:38 pm »
If Ukraine is a rehearsal, they need more more rehearsal time.  They are not ready for opening night.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.