Author Topic: Ukraine 2  (Read 99441 times)

Offline bilo

Re: Ukraine 2
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2022, 05:31:21 pm »
Senior Russian lawmaker accuses U.S. of being directly involved in Ukraine war

By Joseph Clark - The Washington Times - Saturday, May 7, 2022

The speaker of Russia’s State Duma, Vyacheslav Volodin, on Saturday accused the U.S. of being directly involved in military operations against Russia in Ukraine.

Mr. Volodin’s comments add to growing concern of a looming direct conflict between the U.S. and Russia following reports that the U.S. shared operational intelligence with Kyiv that Ukrainian forces used to kill Russian generals and sink Russia’s Black Sea flagship.

“Washington is essentially coordinating and developing military operations, thereby directly participating in military actions against our country,” Mr. Volodin wrote on his Telegram channel, according to Reuters.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/may/7/senior-russian-lawmaker-accuses-us-being-directly-/

It would be nice if our "intelligence" services could keep their mouths shut.

Overall, I don't think it will matter because Russia has destroyed itself with this war. They are not only losing a lot of customers for their oil and gas but are probably going to lose defense equipment sales as well. They really don't have any other industries since the money from oil and gas went to oligarchs who moved a lot of it out of the country instead of keeping the returns in the country and investing it in new manufacturing business. Russia will be poorer after they lose this war.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2022, 05:46:04 pm »
Finally, a Russian political leader tells the truth.  So much for all that BS about Putin "liberating" the free 'independent' [sic] states of Donetsk and Luhansk and that nonsense about this being all about Ukraine joining NATO.

This has to be among the biggest of the many irony's of this war. Now because of Putin's invasion Ukraine will end up being NATO compliant in their weaponry as they use up their old equipment and begin replacing it with the equipment that is being supplied by the USA and other NATO countries. Ukraine may not be formally a member of NATO, but they will have NATO's equipment.

Also, Putin hoped to destroy NATO by getting energy dependent countries like Germany to back off supporting Ukraine. Instead the NATO members are stronger in their resolve to help Ukraine defeat Russia as they are finding other sources for their oil and gas. Putin not only made NATO stronger he is losing some of Russia's biggest customers for their oil and gas.

Russia will become poorer because of this war and Ukraine will become richer because the west will help Ukraine rebuild.

The best thing Russia could do at this point is declare victory and remove all Russia troops from all of Ukraine. The longer they stay the weaker they become.

Offline bilo

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2022, 05:49:28 pm »
First lady Jill Biden makes surprise visit to war-torn Ukraine

Peter Aitken. |  May 8, 2022 11:12am EDT

First Lady Jill Biden has visited Ukraine on Mother’s Day, marking a rare solo trip for the spouse of a sitting president into an active war zone.

Biden crossed the border from Slovakia on Sunday after visiting a processing center to meet with refugees, The Washington Post reported. She spoke with Ukrainian First Lady Olena Zelenska, who has not appeared in public since the start of the Russian invasion

https://www.foxnews.com/world/jill-biden-visit-ukraine-tour-eastern-europe

Meanwhile, Joe eats pudding in Delaware.

You know the tide has turned when instead of offering a ride out of town to Zelenskyy everyone wants to come visit him, or his wife, for a photo op.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2022, 06:08:00 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2022, 06:48:12 pm »
60 feared dead under rubble after Russian bomb hits school in Luhansk

About 90 people were sheltering in the building when the bomb struck, causing a fire to engulf it, the governor of the Luhansk region says.

Sunday 8 May 2022 15:24, UK

Sixty people are feared dead under rubble after a Russian bomb hit a school in eastern Ukraine.

About 90 people were sheltering in the building when the bomb struck, causing a fire to engulf it on Saturday, the governor of the Luhansk region said.

Two people have been confirmed dead and 60 others are "likely to have died under the rubble", Serhiy Gaidai wrote on the Telegram messaging app.

Thirty people have been rescued, seven of whom were injured, he added.

Some 60 people are trapped under the rubble, Ukraine says. Pic: Luhansk State Emergency Service

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss responded to the attack saying she was "horrified" by the incident which resulted "in the deaths of innocent people sheltering from Russian bombardment".  .  .

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-60-feared-dead-under-rubble-after-russian-bomb-hits-school-in-luhansk-12608304

Russian troops doing what Russian troops do.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2022, 06:52:37 pm »

https://twitter.com/MFA_Ukraine/status/1523314657477414912

The whole denazification excuse was unbelievable from the beginning.

Anyone paying attention has to recognize Russia is the evil force at work.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2022, 06:53:16 pm »
This has to be among the biggest of the many irony's of this war. Now because of Putin's invasion Ukraine will end up being NATO compliant in their weaponry as they use up their old equipment and begin replacing it with the equipment that is being supplied by the USA and other NATO countries. Ukraine may not be formally a member of NATO, but they will have NATO's equipment.

Also, Putin hoped to destroy NATO by getting energy dependent countries like Germany to back off supporting Ukraine. Instead the NATO members are stronger in their resolve to help Ukraine defeat Russia as they are finding other sources for their oil and gas. Putin not only made NATO stronger he is losing some of Russia's biggest customers for their oil and gas.

Russia will become poorer because of this war and Ukraine will become richer because the west will help Ukraine rebuild.

The best thing Russia could do at this point is declare victory and remove all Russia troops from all of Ukraine. The longer they stay the weaker they become.

To me the greatest irony is the fact that Putin has loudly cried for years that he cannot tolerate a NATO country on his border, and when this is done he'll likely have two.  Finland will get in, and so will Ukraine when Russia loses the war.  This is worse than a disaster for Russia, it's a blunder.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2022, 07:35:05 pm »

Especially considering the Nazis were not known for being kind to Eastern Europeans in general, and Jews in particular. The Ukrainians and the Soviets have a past as well, especially considering the Holodomor, and I really think neither ideology would be particularly welcome. While previous regimes may not have been as free as we consider ourselves to be, the rejection of either dogma would be the most likely course.

Putin just used the 'denazification' thing to drum up the former glory of the "Great Patriotic War" in which the Soviets defeated the Nazis with tremendous materiel and military help from America and the Allies (including tying up the Germans on the western front).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2022, 07:42:45 pm »
Especially considering the Nazis were not known for being kind to Eastern Europeans in general, and Jews in particular. The Ukrainians and the Soviets have a past as well, especially considering the Holodomor, and I really think neither ideology would be particularly welcome. While previous regimes may not have been as free as we consider ourselves to be, the rejection of either dogma would be the most likely course.

Putin just used the 'denazification' thing to drum up the former glory of the "Great Patriotic War" in which the Soviets defeated the Nazis with tremendous materiel and military help from America and the Allies (including tying up the Germans on the western front).

That's as obvious as a boil on one's face.  You are correct, Russians refer to WW2 as the Great Patriotic War.  That's a major league denial of the fact that the whole damned world was against Hitler, not just poor li'l Russia. 

Boiled down, it allows them to freeze and define the enemy as they see fit.  Alinsky years and years before Alinsky.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2022, 07:47:47 pm »

It's a matter of degree.  What compels a person to remain and shelter-in-place?  Finances?  Their own personal neutrality in the matter?

The Mariupol citizenry had MORE than enough warning to GTFO!  And "...where to?" won't play after the first waves back in January.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2022, 07:51:07 pm »
It's a matter of degree.  What compels a person to remain and shelter-in-place?  Finances?  Their own personal neutrality in the matter?

The Mariupol citizenry had MORE than enough warning to GTFO!  And "...where to?" won't play after the first waves back in January.
I seem to recall something about shelling refugees trying to leave (the Russians doing the shelling) and roads that had been mined.
There is propaganda on both sides, and hope that Ukrainian forces might reach them before the Russians got into town may have kept many there past the time when they could leave with any modicum of safety, even as noncombatant refugees. Even as the shells rain in, normalcy bias is hard to overcome.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2022, 07:52:48 pm »
'If this is true, then I am also a Nazi'

Carrie Davies - BBC, Uman  |  14 hours ago

Olga was dug out of a Nazi grave pit

The last time war came to Uman, the city was occupied by the Nazis.

Now 83, Olga was only two years old when the soldiers arrived in her village.

We are sitting around a table in a Jewish community centre in Uman, a city slightly west of the centre of Ukraine. The walls of the centre are covered in smiling photos of family gatherings and a box of matzah stapled to a display of a shabbat meal.

Olga watches the tea in her cup gradually turn a bitter dark brown. She doesn't touch the biscuits on the table. She lives just a few miles from where she was brought up.

"We were taken 5km [three miles] to a field. I was with my mum and my grannie," she tells us. "When we came to the field ditches were already dug. They began to shoot. We were surrounded by the dogs, by policemen, to stop anyone from running away.

"People started to fall into the ditch. Alive, dead, wounded. They started in the morning and it went on until midday. Then they sprinkled a little earth and left.

"Two boys, aged six and seven, survived. They started to look for other survivors. They dug me out with their hands."

Olga survived, kept hidden by a family until the war ended.

Dmytro's family lived in a forest to escape the Nazi

She's one of three Holocaust survivors at the table. The other stories are similarly shocking. Dmytro's family lived in a forest to escape the Nazis. Yevhen remembers narrowly escaping from a basement when Nazi soldiers attempted to gas him with exhaust fumes. Only his mother and he survived the war.

Russian President Vladimir Putin's repeated accusations that Ukraine needs to be de-Nazified feel particularly insulting to a group that lived through the occupation.

"I have many relatives in Russia. They start telling me that we have a lot of Nazis," says Dmytro. "I tell them, if this is true, then I am also a Nazi. You can kill me too."

"Putin has no business here," says Olga. "The way he mocks peaceful people is simply unimaginable."  .  .  .

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61361827

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2022, 07:55:49 pm »
In WWII, the Russian Army would release the main force followed by 'Kill Squads'. The killer squads would follow the main assault and shoot any Russian soldiers who refused to charge forward, even if they were unarmed. No doubt, since Putin very clearly thinks he is back in time fighting the Nazis again, the Russian Army is doing the same today in Ukraine.

I'm not sure how Russia can call their troops motivated and brave if they will be shot dead for not charging straight into the meatgrinder. It is little wonder that Russian troop defections are out of control.

When Russian soldiers ask, 'Why am I doing this?' 'What am I dying for?' There is no answer.

To fight Nazis? Really? We attacked them. They did not attack us. Am I to die for Putin's delusional dreams?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2022, 07:59:17 pm »
The Mariupol citizenry had MORE than enough warning to GTFO!

Yeah, right.  Putin was up front about how his soldiers were going to rape Ukrainian women and execute civilians in the streets, bomb schools and hospitals, and completely level Mariupol like the Germans did to the Czech village of Lidice after Heydrich was assassinated.

Oh wait, he didn't.  Putin said that he was coming on a humanitarian mission to bring peace and freedom to the people of Donetsk.

You are essentially blaming the rape victim here for not running away faster from her rapist.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2022, 08:02:18 pm »
the Russian Army is doing the same today in Ukraine.

I'm not sure how Russia can call their troops motivated and brave if they will be shot dead for not charging straight into the meatgrinder. It is little wonder that Russian troop defections are out of control.

Intercepted Russian communications

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2022, 08:06:12 pm »
Yeah, right.  Putin was up front about how his soldiers were going to rape Ukrainian women and execute civilians in the streets, bomb schools and hospitals, and completely level Mariupol like the Germans did to the Czech village of Lidice after Heydrich was assassinated.

Oh wait, he didn't.  Putin said that he was coming on a humanitarian mission to bring peace and freedom to the people of Donetsk.

You are essentially blaming the rape victim here for not running away faster from her rapist.

Not at all!  Just asking questions.    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2022, 09:11:04 pm »
That's as obvious as a boil on one's face.  You are correct, Russians refer to WW2 as the Great Patriotic War.  That's a major league denial of the fact that the whole damned world was against Hitler, not just poor li'l Russia. 

Ukraine was actually split in its support of nazi Germany in WW2. @Cyber Liberty 

The Western,  Ukrainan-speaking part of the country supported nazi Germany, considered them liberators and fought along side them, including in the the murder of Ukrainian Jews.    The Eastern, Russian-speaking part of the couuntry fought with the Russian forces and considered them liberators.

Sound familiar?

« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2022, 09:24:59 pm »

Contrary to the wildly popular and US Ministry of Truth approved propagnda, this conflict did not begin begin in February. @DCPatriot

The Russian-speaking, Russian passport-holding citizenry of Mariupol have been greeting the Russian army as liberators since WW2.

If these citizens are being killed at will, someone needs to check the origins of the weapons used before assuming responsibility.

« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2022, 09:33:37 pm »
It would be nice if our "intelligence" services could keep their mouths shut.

But silence doesn't goad Russia into a wider war or open a false flag chemical attack window for the US to use.   

Remember, removing Putin is our goal and we are prepared to fight to the last Ukrainian --- and if need be, the last American ---- to make this happen.

There's no going back now.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2022, 09:40:54 pm »
Contrary to the wildly popular and US Ministry of Truth approved propagnda, this conflict did not begin begin in February. @DCPatriot

The Russian-speaking, Russian passport-holding citizenry of Mariupol have been greeting the Russian army as liberators since WW2.

If these citizens are being killed at will, someone needs to check the origins of the weapons used before assuming responsibility.

Thanks, @Right_in_Virginia

Another great point to consider.

Offline DB

« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2022, 10:10:38 pm »
Ukraine was actually split in its support of nazi Germany in WW2. @Cyber Liberty 

The Western,  Ukrainan-speaking part of the country supported nazi Germany, considered them liberators and fought along side them, including in the the murder of Ukrainian Jews.    The Eastern, Russian-speaking part of the couuntry fought with the Russian forces and considered them liberators.

Sound familiar?

You conveniently leave out the fact that Russia was allied with Germany's NAZIs from 1939 to 1941 before they had their falling out during WWII... In addition, since Russia signed a non-aggression pact with Germany in 1939 it opened the door for Germany to invade Poland and so began WWII.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2022, 10:13:01 pm »

Boiled down, it allows them to freeze and define the enemy as they see fit.  Alinsky years and years before Alinsky.

@Cyber Liberty

And they will NEVER admit they couldn't have done it without the US shipping convoys that sailed to Russia carrying everything from flashlight batteries to field howitzers and,2-1/2 ton trucks,rifle and pistol ammunition,gasoline,etc,etc,etc.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2022, 10:15:30 pm »
You conveniently leave out the fact that Russia was allied with Germany's NAZIs from 1939 to 1941 before they had their falling out during WWII... In addition, since Russia signed a non-aggression pact with Germany in 1939 it opened the door for Germany to invade Poland and so began WWII.

How does this affect Ukraine's split in WW2 that continues to this day?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2022, 11:27:10 pm »
 US diplomats arrive Kyiv ahead of resumption of embassy operations
by Mychael Schnell - 05/08/22 3:27 PM ET

U.S. diplomats are beginning to arrive in Kyiv as America prepares to restart embassy operations in the Ukrainian capital city for the first time since Russia began its invasion.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken told Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba during a phone call on Sunday that a small group of diplomats, in addition to State Department security, took a trip to the embassy in Kyiv to prepare for its resumption of operations.

“The Secretary informed Foreign Minister Kuleba that our Charge d’Affaires Kristina Kvien and a small group of diplomats, accompanied by State Department security, traveled to Kyiv to conduct diplomatic engagement in advance of the planned resumption of Embassy Kyiv operations, as the Secretary pledged to President Zelenskyy they would during his most recent visit to Kyiv,” State Department spokesperson Ned Price wrote in a readout of the call.

The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv announced on Twitter Sunday that Kvien had arrived in Kyiv.

“Just arrived in Kyiv! Delighted to be back on Victory in Europe Day. Slava Ukraini! We #standwithUkraine” the tweet from the embassy reads.

The return of diplomats to the embassy in Ukraine’s capital city comes after the U.S. suspended embassy operations in Ukraine in February as Russia’s invasion was just beginning. The U.S. had initially moved operations from Kyiv to the western city of Lviv before relocating to Poland.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/international/3481170-us-diplomats-arrive-kyiv-ahead-of-resumption-of-embassy-operations/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2022, 11:29:29 pm »
You know the tide has turned when instead of offering a ride out of town to Zelenskyy everyone wants to come visit him, or his wife, for a photo op.
Between U2 and Jill, who is more annoying, though?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org