Author Topic: The 2-pound part that nearly sent a KC-135R Stratotanker to the scrapyard  (Read 251 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Peter Salter - Lincoln Journal Star  May 03, 2022

Fully loaded with fuel, the KC-135R Stratotankers at the Nebraska Air National Guard Base can take off weighing more than 320,000 pounds and stay in the air for hours.

But one of them was recently grounded — and nearly sent to the scrapyard — by a broken, 2-pound piece of aluminum called a rudder snubber support fitting.

The base’s hydraulic crew discovered a crack and a misshapen bolt hole in the part while repairing a nearby leak late last year.

“They were looking at different hydraulic systems,” said Master Sgt. James Kenning, who runs the base’s Aircraft Metals Technology Shop. “And as they were cleaning up the hydraulic fluid, they noticed it was broken.”

The shoehorn-shaped part — about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long — is critical to the aircraft. It serves a role similar to a car’s shock absorber mount, but on a larger, and more important scale, helping to stop the jet’s rudder from vibrating in flight.

Kenning and his three-person crew couldn’t just order a replacement; the part was forged for this Stratotanker more than 60 years ago, and there was no surplus supply of rudder snubbers.

“This aircraft has been asked to fly a lot longer as originally planned. It was never meant to be in the Air Force this long.”

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/05/the-2-pound-part-that-nearly-sent-a-kc-135r-stratotanker-to-the-scrapyard/

Online rustynail

3D to the rescue.

Offline Kamaji

The damaged section of the part itself:

Offline roamer_1

The damaged section of the part itself:

A thick washer...

Offline Kamaji

A thick washer...

It's aluminum, and it's already started to fail.  That failure crack won't stop, but will propagate down until the part has a critical failure.

Offline roamer_1

It's aluminum, and it's already started to fail.  That failure crack won't stop, but will propagate down until the part has a critical failure.

Well sure. But what started the cracking was flex. If it can no longer flex... However, I see your point. I don't trust aluminum very much either.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Some of the aluminum alloys are pretty strong. I used the alloy ZA-27 to make a gear I was missing when I bought my South Bend 13 lathe. It hasn't given me any trouble over many years of use.

ZA-27 is an underappreciated metal for foundry use. It is three times stronger than typical cast aluminum and can have the tensile strength of grey cast iron.

Offline Kamaji

Some of the aluminum alloys are pretty strong. I used the alloy ZA-27 to make a gear I was missing when I bought my South Bend 13 lathe. It hasn't given me any trouble over many years of use.

Is the failure curve like that of steel, or of standard aluminum?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Is the failure curve like that of steel, or of standard aluminum?

It is a better replacement of cast iron than aluminum, brass, or bronze for many applications.   It's not any good at high temperatures though. When I made the gear out of it for my lathe I melted an ingot of it with my Coleman stove to cast a blank to machine.