Author Topic: RIGHTSIZING THE FLEET: WHY THE NAVY’S NEW SHIPBUILDING PLAN IS NOT ENOUGH  (Read 66 times)

rebewranger

RIGHTSIZING THE FLEET: WHY THE NAVY’S NEW SHIPBUILDING PLAN IS NOT ENOUGH
MAY 2, 2022 GUEST AUTHOR 2 COMMENTS
By Representative Elaine Luria (D-VA)

Introduction

The Navy recently released its long-awaited 30-year shipbuilding plan, which provided three alternatives for future fleet force structure. The first two alternatives assume “no real budget growth” and “do not procure all platforms at the desired rate.” Good on Navy leadership for acknowledging the elephant in the room — that their plans do not meet desired goals. However, option three, which one assumes is presented as an alternative that will procure platforms at the desired rate, is unrealistic in the Navy’s own words because “industry needs to demonstrate the ability to achieve [this plan].” All three alternatives reduce capability and capacity in the near to mid-term, and introduce unacceptable risk to our ability to counter a rising Chinese threat in the Western Pacific.

I have repeatedly criticized the Navy for not having a strategy and I look forward to hearing how producing three separate shipbuilding plans aligns with their “strategy.” It does not seem to align with former Navy Secretary John Lehman’s idea of the budget process: “first strategy, then requirements, then the POM [Program Objective Memoranda], then budget.” Also, within the shipbuilding plan, the blatant manipulation of how data is displayed masks the true extent of the crisis we are facing in capability and capacity in the coming decade. I will address that here.

Right-Sizing Force Structure for Deterrence

https://cimsec.org/rightsizing-the-fleet-why-the-navys-new-shipbuilding-plan-is-not-enough/