Author Topic: NYC DOE falls short of preparing students with reading skills  (Read 231 times)

Offline Kamaji

NYC DOE falls short of preparing students with reading skills: advocates

By Cayla Bamberger
May 2, 2022

Families and their advocates across New York City are sounding the alarm that schools have fallen short of preparing all students to learn how to read.

As of Monday, 70 organizations had signed onto a “Call to Collective Action,” pledging to fight for science-backed reading instruction with proper support in all city schools.

“Every parent sends their child to school assuming they will be taught to read,” said Kim Sweet, the executive director of Advocates for Children. “Yet when students struggle, parents often have to find help on their own.”

“As a city, we need to stop accepting that unacceptable outcome and provide the literacy instruction and support needed to make all children proficient readers,” she said.

Alongside the letter, a new report from Advocates for Children on Monday pushed for coordinated efforts across the nation’s largest school system to use evidence-based literacy curriculum, and support the teachers implementing those lesson plans.

Less than half of all 3rd through 8th graders in New York City were proficient in reading in 2019, according to state test data cited in the report. National studies suggest the pandemic and school closures likely made matters worse for students already trailing literacy benchmarks.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/05/02/nyc-students-struggle-to-get-the-reading-help-they-need/

Offline Kamaji

Re: NYC DOE falls short of preparing students with reading skills
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 11:54:57 am »
Why should this surprise anyone?  All the teachers' unions care about is making sure they can read well enough to identify the "D" candidate on a ballot and to fill out fraudulent ballots as instructed.  Anything else is not their concern.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 12:06:57 pm »
But can they read and spell the proper pronouns for ones imagined sexual identity?  That is all that really matters anymore.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 12:28:51 pm »
But they are ready for their gender re-assignment procedures.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 10:51:02 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:16 pm »
Title:
"NYC DOE falls short of preparing students with reading skills: advocates"

The NYC DOE does not exist to "prepare students" for anything.
It exists to provide favorable incomes and retirements for the teachers and administrators of the "education system"...