Author Topic: US economy shrank 1.4% at beginning of 2022, marking worst quarter in 2 years  (Read 624 times)

Online Kamaji

US economy shrank 1.4% at beginning of 2022, marking worst quarter in 2 years

Economists expected the economy to expand by 1.1%, a marked slowdown from 2021

By Megan Henney FOXBusiness
April 28, 2022

The U.S. economy cooled markedly in the first three months of the year, as snarled supply chains, record-high inflation and labor shortages weighed on growth and slowed the pandemic recovery.

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of goods and services produced across the economy, shrank by 1.4% on an annualized basis in the three-month period from January through March, the Commerce Department said in its first reading of the data on Thursday.

Refinitiv economists expected the report to show the economy had expanded by 1.1%.

Source:  https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/us-economic-growth-gdp-first-quarter

Offline Right_in_Virginia

U.S. economic growth rate unexpectedly declined in the first quarter by 1.4%
CNBC, Apr 28, 2022

Gross domestic product unexpectedly declined at a 1.4% annualized pace in the first quarter, marking an abrupt reversal for an economy coming off its best performance since 1984, the Commerce Department reported Thursday.

The negative growth rate missed even the subdued Dow Jones estimate of a 1% gain for the quarter. GDP measures the output of goods and services in the U.S. for the three-month period.

A plethora of factors conspired to weigh against growth during the first three months of 2022, which fell off a cliff following the 6.9% gain to close out last year.

More:  https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/28/us-q1-gdp-growth.html

Online Kamaji

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
C'mon man, we are just getting started.  You ain't see nuttin yet!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

US economy shrank 1.4% at beginning of 2022, marking worst quarter in 2 years
Economists expected the economy to expand by 1.1%, a marked slowdown from 2021
Fox Business News, Apr 28, 2022

The U.S. economy cooled markedly in the first three months of the year, as snarled supply chains, record-high inflation and labor shortages weighed on growth and slowed the pandemic recovery.

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of goods and services produced across the economy, shrank by 1.4% on an annualized basis in the three-month period from January through March, the Commerce Department said in its first reading of the data on Thursday.

Refinitiv economists expected the report to show the economy had expanded by 1.1%.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/us-economic-growth-gdp-first-quarter.amp

Offline andy58-in-nh

Time for higher taxes and more government spending - isn't that right, Joe?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Dropping GDP, amidst runaway inflation?

Of course dim lackeys at CNBC were going to leave off the "stagflation" monicker....

Because folks....  With this report, it is offically here.

And never has the blame been so squarely placed than on Biden himself
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro
Just remember, that -1.4% GDP growth takes into account continued massive government spending, and really doesn't take into account the interest rate increases we're about to see, the full impact of Russia/Ukraine, or the totality of China's supply chain covid issues.
9:15 AM · Apr 28, 2022·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
(topics merged)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online LMAO

Of course dim lackeys at CNBC were going to leave off the "stagflation" monicker....

We have a whole generation now that will understand what the 1970s were like
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 01:41:50 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro
Just remember, that -1.4% GDP growth takes into account continued massive government spending, and really doesn't take into account the interest rate increases we're about to see, the full impact of Russia/Ukraine, or the totality of China's supply chain covid issues.
9:15 AM · Apr 28, 2022·

Well a recession is inevitable. It’s not the recession that worries me. It’s governments reaction to a recession that’s the problem
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Kamaji

C'mon man, we are just getting started.  You ain't see nuttin yet!

That's what I'm afraid of.

Online Kamaji

Bingo!

Rising inflation coupled with dropping economic performance = stagflation.

Online LMAO

Barry Goldwater

Offline DefiantMassRINO

S-T-A-G-F-L-A-T-I-O-N

M-A-L-A-I-S-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OWHjPj5_Eg
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 02:01:28 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline cato potatoe

Why are economists confused?  More people are getting low on cash, and keynesian borrow-spend cycle had to slow eventually.  Now we are in a pickle.

Rep. Chris Stewart
@RepChrisStewart

There's one reason why we aren't enjoying a post-pandemic boom: out-of-control government spending.

Democrats' policies have created skyrocketing inflation rates and now, a shrinking economy.

@POTUS: Stop the endless taxing and spending.

11:43 AM · Apr 29, 2022  Twitter Web App

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

We have a whole generation now that will understand what the 1970s were like
More 80s than 70s.

Yep, my mortgage rate for the home purchased in 1984 was 15.5%, 18 month variable.

I went variable as fixed was 19%
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington