Author Topic: The Inflation Draining Your Wallet, Grocery Cart, And Gas Tank Is Far Steeper Than 8 Percent  (Read 691 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Inflation Draining Your Wallet, Grocery Cart, And Gas Tank Is Far Steeper Than 8 Percent
By: Elle Reynolds
April 27, 2022

The Labor Department’s March inflation numbers released this month skyrocketed past February’s, hitting a 12-month increase of 8.5 percent and the steepest annual increase since 1981. That’s no small figure, but most Americans know the inflation they encounter at the grocery store checkout, the gas pump, the car lot, and the leasing office is far higher than that.

Just look at basic items like groceries and gas, and you’ll see how much higher those necessities are climbing than the generic inflation figures slapped across headlines.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in the average U.S. city, ground beef is up 14.9 percent since last March, boneless stew beef is up 24.3 percent, bacon is up 23.1 percent, boneless chicken breasts are up 17.6 percent, eggs are up 25.9 percent, milk is up 17 percent, frozen orange juice concentrate is up 18 percent, and ground coffee is up 15.8 percent. Meanwhile, fuel oil has jumped a whopping 71.5 percent, and utility gas is up 23.3 percent.

Many of these urban numbers don’t even capture how steeply prices have risen for middle America, however. In the Midwest, ground beef has risen 24.5 percent, almost 10 percentage points more than the urban average.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2022/04/27/the-inflation-draining-your-wallet-grocery-cart-and-gas-tank-is-far-steeper-than-8-percent/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I do a very precise budget every January 1.  1/1/22  vs. 1/1/21 showed a 14.3% increase on static needed expenditures.

True inflation right now in my estimate is somewhere between 16-22%
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The government can't acknowledge the true inflation rate because the requisite Federal cost-of-living adjustments would break the budget.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The government can't acknowledge the true inflation rate because the requisite Federal cost-of-living adjustments would break the budget.
Don't believe so.  The inflation at the same time will at the same time force higher tax receipts to offset that.

What will really break the budget is the higher interest paid on the $30 trillion in debt, the bulk of which is in shorter term, not longer term, notes.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The Federal government doesn't benefit from sales or meals taxes.

The benefit will go to state treasuries.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Mostly correct, but economics mean that inflation of goods correlates to higher demand for increased wages which means the govt will take in more money as taxes go up.

A 1% increase in interest rates on our debt, which is mostly of a short term nature, means an additional $300 billion in interest being paid by Uncle Sam.  That's approaching +$1 billion per day.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

I do a very precise budget every January 1.  1/1/22  vs. 1/1/21 showed a 14.3% increase on static needed expenditures.

Good information.  :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

For the average person who's percentage of income goes more towards basics, that IMO is accurate.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

Yep. My round number is at 20%.

Online Kamaji

The federal government benefits from income taxes that are imposed on a progressive set of brackets.  As prices go up, net incomes go up, benefiting the federal government.