Author Topic: Harvard sets up $100 million endowment fund for slavery reparations  (Read 270 times)

Online Kamaji

Harvard sets up $100 million endowment fund for slavery reparations

By Reuters
April 26, 2022

April 26 – Harvard University is setting aside $100 million for an endowment fund and other measures to close the educational, social and economic gaps that are legacies of slavery and racism, according to an email the university’s president sent to all students, faculty and staff on Tuesday.

The email from Harvard President Lawrence Bacow included a link to a 100-page report by his university’s 14-member Committee on Harvard and the Legacy of Slavery. The panel was chaired by Tomiko Brown-Nagin, a legal historian and constitutional law expert who is dean of Harvard’s interdisciplinary Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. The email and the report were released to Reuters.

The move comes amid a wider conversation about redressing the impacts of centuries of slavery, discrimination and racism. Some people have called for financial or other reparations.

The report laid out a history of slaves toiling on the campus and of the university benefiting from the slave trade and industries linked to slavery after slavery was outlawed in Massachusetts in 1783 – 147 years after Harvard’s founding. The report also documents Harvard excluding Black students and its scholars advocating racism.

While Harvard had notable figures among abolitionists and in the civil rights movement, the report said, “the nation’s oldest institution of higher education … helped to perpetuate the era’s racial oppression and exploitation.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/26/harvard-sets-up-100m-endowment-fund-for-slavery-reparations/

Online Kamaji

Re: Harvard sets up $100 million endowment fund for slavery reparations
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 06:19:22 pm »
In other words, Harvard to continue discriminating against Whites and Asians in university acceptances and tuition.

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 06:28:35 pm »
Mighty white of them when their endowment is billions.   (valued at $53.2 billion as of June 2021)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 06:28:49 pm »
So, Harvard University allocated $100 Million from it's $52.3 endowment for social justice reparations?  That's mighty white of them.

How much will they allocate for past discrimination against Jews and current discrimination against Asians?

What about reparations to Native Americans for damage done by hiring fake Native American, Elizabeth Warren?  That slot could have gone to a real Native American.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 06:29:44 pm »
Good points, all.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 10:16:39 pm »
It will be interesting to see the slaves Harvard will put forth.  My understanding is that they died years ago.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 10:28:46 pm »
Just buy every living former US slave a new car...and then call it done!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 11:03:17 am »
In case I have not made it clear enough before: I am sick and tired of the woke  :bsflag:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.