Author Topic: Family loses over $6K in scary hotel room service scam: It ‘isn’t that uncommon’  (Read 376 times)

Online Kamaji

Family loses over $6K in scary hotel room service scam: It ‘isn’t that uncommon’

By Asia Grace
April 26, 2022

Beware of this not-so-suite room service scam.

While the running joke about wildly overpriced food and snacks at fancy hotels still stands, one unsuspecting family lost over $6,000 when they ordered some eats to their room while lodging at a well-known inn.

“You need to be careful about this dangerous food service scam in hotels,” warned TikToker Ali Koca to his 1.8 million followers. “This family was staying in a hotel, and they decided to order room service using the father’s debit card.”

In the clip, which has racked up a staggering 1.9 million views, Koca, from Toronto, shares an unnamed family’s cautionary tale in front of a green-screen image of a Holiday Inn Express; however, the location of the incident, as well as the specific franchise, has not been made public.

Koca then explains that after calling the phone number on what they believed to be the hotel’s room service line, the family placed their food order and provided the dad’s credit card information to the presumed staffer over the phone.

“They waited over an hour and a half, and no food got delivered,” Koca narrated. “So the father called the front desk to ask where his order was, but they told him they never got an order from his room.”

Panicked, the man logged in to his online banking platform to find that, “more than $6,000 of his money had just been withdrawn in the last hour and a half,” claimed the viral vigilante.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/26/family-loses-over-6k-in-scary-hotel-room-service-scam/

Offline verga

One sentence says "Debit " later it says "credit" card.  Either way, not a good thing.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Kamaji

One sentence says "Debit " later it says "credit" card.  Either way, not a good thing.

It was most likely the debit card, not a credit card, since the story subsequently states that the father logged onto his bank account and saw that the $6k had been taken.  That wouldn't have happened with a credit card.

Using one's debit card to make purchases is not a smart thing to do.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
FTA:

In the clip, which has racked up a staggering 1.9 million views, Koca, from Toronto, shares an unnamed family’s cautionary tale in front of a green-screen image of a Holiday Inn Express; however, the location of the incident, as well as the specific franchise, has not been made public.

Could not have been Holiday Inn Express, because they don't have restaurants and therefore don't have Room Service.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It's better to use a credit card ... the crooks are stealing the banks' money.

With the debit cards, the crooks are stealing your money.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline verga

It's better to use a credit card ... the crooks are stealing the banks' money.

With the debit cards, the crooks are stealing your money.
When I travel, I exclusively use the AmEx card. I am protected 100%.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
It was most likely the debit card, not a credit card, since the story subsequently states that the father logged onto his bank account and saw that the $6k had been taken.  That wouldn't have happened with a credit card.

Using one's debit card to make purchases is not a smart thing to do.

Agree.  I only use credit cards for convienence, and they few I do use, are real keen to what appear to be "strange" charges, and I get alerted fairly often by design.

Double agree of Debit and ATM cards.  Never have and  never will own one.  Risks outweigh the benefits.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

FTA:

Could not have been Holiday Inn Express, because they don't have restaurants and therefore don't have Room Service.

That's a B-I-N-G-O

Also, if they had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, they would have been much smarter.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-