Author Topic: World Bank wants to end car sales to combat “climate change”  (Read 230 times)

rebewranger

World Bank wants to end car sales to combat “climate change”
04/26/2022 / By Arsenio Toledo

The World Bank is suggesting an end to car sales as a way of combating the damage fossil fuel vehicles supposedly do to the environment.

On April 21, Nicholas Stern, one of the world’s most influential climate economists and former chief economist of the World Bank, claimed that ending the sale of vehicles with conventional internal combustion engines (ICE) might be a necessary action the world needs to take to combat climate change.

“The right kind of policies have to be put in place, including the abolition of fossil fuel subsidies, the advancement of carbon pricing, but clarity on timescales for decentralization of the grid, clarity on timescales for stopping the sale of internal combustion engine vehicles, and so on – making sure the sense of direction is clear in those ways,” said Stern.

Stern made these remarks during an annual spring meeting hosted by the World Bank Group and the International Monetary Fund.

https://www.climate.news/2022-04-26-world-bank-end-car-sales-climate-change.html#
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 04:48:22 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Kamaji

Re: World Bank wants to end car sales to combat “climate change”
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 05:10:51 pm »
What "fossil fuel subsidies" would those be?  This guy is FoS.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 05:32:14 pm »
The World Bank can lead be by example by giving up transporation and energy powered by fossil fuels.  The can travel by horse, camel, and schooner by candlelight.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 05:48:52 pm »
When Government officials and Corporate heads start flying in electric planes, then, maybe, we'll talk.

Maybe...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 06:01:27 pm »
What "fossil fuel subsidies" would those be?  This guy is FoS.
I keep hearing that phrase, even had one person tell me it was "fossil fuels" that got subsidies, not renewables (at that point I knew I was trying to talk with an idiot).

I recall some deep tight sands gas tax breaks in the 1990s, but that is the last thing I have heard of that could be construed a subsidy for fossil fuels. So, I just ask them to list any or all of the subsidies...

>crickets<
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 10:10:36 pm »
What is a 'climate economist' anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 10:16:31 pm »
I sailed wonders:
"What is a 'climate economist' anyway?"

Give ya a hint.
This is on the backside of their business cards: