Author Topic: SCOTUS Hears Case of High School Football Coach Banned From Praying on Field  (Read 398 times)

Offline Hoodat

SCOTUS Hears Case of High School Football Coach Banned From Praying on Field

Matthew Vadum  |  April 25, 2022

The Supreme Court seemed to be generally sympathetic toward a high school football coach who claims he was fired for kneeling to pray at the 50-yard line after football games.

Coach Joseph A. “Joe” Kennedy, who no longer works for the taxpayer-funded Bremerton School District in Washington state, says his rights were violated when the school district forbade him from praying in view of the public after games. Some of the facts, such as whether his prayers were silent and how he came to not be employed by the district, are in dispute.

The case is Kennedy v. Bremerton School District, court file 21-418, an appeal from the frequently overturned U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. One hour was scheduled for the April 25 hearing, but it ran over by 48 minutes.  .  .

https://www.theepochtimes.com/scotus-hears-case-of-high-school-football-coach-banned-from-praying-on-field_4424434.html

Bremerton School District is arguing that as a school employee, he was serving in his school capacity, and thus does not enjoy free speech rights.  But my take is that this isn't a free speech issue at all, but a free exercise issue.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline berdie

I heard 2 Justice's stance today:

Kagan (I believe): He has control over playing time, grades, etc.

Thomas: Would he have faced the same penalty over kneeling during the Ntl Anthem?

I love Thomas.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I heard 2 Justice's stance today:

Kagan (I believe): He has control over playing time, grades, etc.

Thomas: Would he have faced the same penalty over kneeling during the Ntl Anthem?

I love Thomas.
More idiocy from Kagan(if it's her), every coach has control over playing times, positions and grades, etc.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If I didn't know better I would say Kahan played on too many football games without a helmet.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.