Author Topic: Florida Legislature votes to strip Disney self-government  (Read 2246 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Florida Legislature votes to strip Disney self-government
« on: April 21, 2022, 05:22:01 pm »
 Florida Legislature votes to strip Disney self-government
by Anthony Izaguirre | The Associated Press - 04/21/22 1:12 PM ET

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The Florida House of Representatives on Thursday gave final passage to a bill that would dissolve Walt Disney World’s private government, handing Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis a victory in his feud with the entertainment giant over its opposition to a measure that critics have dubbed the “ Don’t Say Gay ” law.

The move could have huge tax implications for Disney, whose series of theme parks have transformed Orlando into one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations, and serves to further sour the relationship between the Republican-led government and a major political player in the state.

For DeSantis, the attack on Disney is his latest salvo in a culture war waged over policies such as race, gender and the coronavirus, battles that have turned him into one of the most popular GOP politicians in the country and a likely 2024 presidential candidate.

The dispute with Disney involves the company’s criticism of a new law barring instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade as well as instruction that is not “age appropriate or developmentally appropriate.”

In March, Disney said it would suspend political donations in the state and added that it would in turn support organizations working to oppose the new law. DeSantis and his fellow Republicans then lashed out at Disney, and have defended the law as reasonable.

“Disney and other woke corporations won’t get away with peddling their unchecked pressure campaigns any longer,” DeSantis wrote in a fundraising pitch Wednesday. “If we want to keep the Democrat machine and their corporate lapdogs accountable, we have to stand together now.”

The bill passed by the legislature on Thursday would eliminate the Reedy Creek Improvement District, as the Disney government is known, as well as a handful of other similar districts by June 2023. The measure does allow for the districts to be reestablished, leaving an avenue to renegotiate its future. It now moves to DeSantis’ office to be signed into law.

more
https://thehill.com/news/wire/3275973-florida-legislature-votes-to-strip-disney-self-government/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Florida Legislature votes to strip Disney self-government
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 05:28:55 pm »
Groomers are all up in arms.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 06:16:25 pm »
Wow, a lot of analysts are going to be surprised this is happening at all, let alone that it happened so fast.
Let it burn.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 06:19:01 pm »
The influx of new tax revenues into Orange County will be astronomical.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 06:22:55 pm »
“Disney and other woke corporations won’t get away with peddling their unchecked pressure campaigns any longer,” DeSantis wrote in a fundraising pitch Wednesday. “If we want to keep the Democrat machine and their corporate lapdogs accountable, we have to stand together now.

↑   ↑   ↑   ↑
   T   H   I   S

I am sick and tired of Republicans who look the other way (or in many cases vote for) taxpayer dollars funding Democrat slush funds.  DeSantis at least gets it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 06:35:05 pm »
Wow, a lot of analysts are going to be surprised this is happening at all, let alone that it happened so fast.

It happened at Warp Speed.  left committee on Tuesday. Senate approved Wednesday. House approved today. The DeSantas Claus will sign it soon. 

It's like Christmas year round down here in FL with our great gov!.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 06:45:24 pm »
It happened at Warp Speed.  left committee on Tuesday. Senate approved Wednesday. House approved today. The DeSantas Claus will sign it soon. 

It's like Christmas year round down here in FL with our great gov!.

I wish our Texas governor was more like your Florida governor.  Not to mention the Presidency...
Let it burn.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 07:27:05 pm »
This needed to happen, but Desantis probably should lay low for a while.  He has spent a lot of political capital over the past few weeks. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 07:41:53 pm »
If you want to jump into politics and use your company to cater to a small minority of radical nutjobs overtly sexualizing kids, you shouldn't be allowed to ride for free on the taxpayer dime.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 07:44:47 pm »
This needed to happen, but Desantis probably should lay low for a while.  He has spent a lot of political capital over the past few weeks.
He was here this morning announcing red snapper season will be extended to 57 days!   

I loves me some Red Snapper!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 07:46:06 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 07:56:54 pm »
He was here this morning announcing red snapper season will be extended to 57 days!   

I loves me some Red Snapper!

I once went snapper fishing off the coast of Corpus Cristi, but the boat had to travel way out beyond the edge of the shelf.  Is that the case in Florida?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 07:59:58 pm »
I once went snapper fishing off the coast of Corpus Cristi, but the boat had to travel way out beyond the edge of the shelf.  Is that the case in Florida?

I'm not sure how far out to the south from Destin to catch them.  I'm gonna ask.  I'll get back to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 08:37:39 pm »
I wish our Texas governor was more like your Florida governor.  Not to mention the Presidency...
Abbott is a politician foremost.   And he follows people like DeSantis, not leads.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 08:47:02 pm »
Radical Left Goes Bonkers After Florida Votes to Eliminate Woke Disney’s Special Tax District

Wendell Husebø21 Apr 20221

The radical left on Thursday went bonkers after the Florida legislature voted to eliminate woke Disney’s special tax district.

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) proposed terminating Disney’s 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement District because the entertainment company pursued anti-family, transgender programming for young children.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District is a 50-year-old special statute that shields Disney from massive amounts of tax obligations and regulations. The statute allows Disney to essentially self-govern. It should be noted Disney employs 38 lobbyists in Florida and has a strong hold on state Democrats and establishment Republicans.

After the House successfully voted to end the district, the radical left immediately took to Twitter to voice their anger over the legislative initiative.

Huffington Post writer, Ann Brenoff, stated Disney should uproot its 25,000-acre theme park complex in Florida and move it elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/AnnBrenoff/status/1517205497048301568

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/04/21/radical-left-goes-bonkers-after-florida-votes-to-eliminate-woke-disneys-special-tax-district/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 08:47:47 pm »
Huffington Post writer, Ann Brenoff, stated Disney should uproot its 25,000-acre theme park complex in Florida and move it elsewhere.

Yeah just pick it up and move it..it only took them 50 years to build it all!
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2022, 08:48:21 pm »
Radical Left Goes Bonkers After Florida Votes to Eliminate Woke Disney’s Special Tax District

Democrats are Corporate Welfare's biggest proponents.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2022, 08:55:26 pm »
Yeah just pick it up and move it..it only took them 50 years to build it all!

That land is worth a fortune.  prolly worth more than the shitty attractions that sit on it. 

Online Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2022, 09:34:11 pm »
Fascinating how the left is so dead-set on supporting privately run plantation towns owned lock, stock, and barrel by a private corporation.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2022, 10:04:59 pm »
Where are they going to move it?  Connecticut?  I don't forsee Greg Abbott throwing incentives at these turkeys.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 10:06:53 pm by cato potatoe »

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2022, 10:06:30 pm »
Abbott is a politician foremost.   And he follows people like DeSantis, not leads.

Yes I agree. At best Abbott is a decent manager. Not a leader.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2022, 10:10:04 pm »

Wendell Husebø21 Apr 20221

The radical left on Thursday went bonkers after the Florida legislature voted to eliminate woke Disney’s special tax district.

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) proposed terminating Disney’s 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement District because the entertainment company pursued anti-family, transgender programming for young children.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District is a 50-year-old special statute that shields Disney from massive amounts of tax obligations and regulations. The statute allows Disney to essentially self-govern. It should be noted Disney employs 38 lobbyists in Florida and has a strong hold on state Democrats and establishment Republicans.

After the House successfully voted to end the district, the radical left immediately took to Twitter to voice their anger over the legislative initiative.

https://twitter.com/AnnBrenoff/status/1517205497048301568

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/04/21/radical-left-goes-bonkers-after-florida-votes-to-eliminate-woke-disneys-special-tax-district/
What happened to "paying their fair share"? Or is that only "fair" if companies the Left doesn't like have to do it?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2022, 10:43:14 pm »
Fascinating how the left is so dead-set on supporting privately run plantation towns owned lock, stock, and barrel by a private corporation.

That doesn't pay taxes.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2022, 10:50:06 pm »
"Democrats in the Florida House of Representatives can be heard yelling & shrieking after lawmakers voted to remove Disney’s special tax status—a privilege it held for 55 years. Disney employs 38 lobbyists in Tallahassee & donates generously to politicians."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1517203394699702272

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2022, 10:52:37 pm »

He can't ..... campaign season is in full swing.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2022, 10:56:34 pm »
"Democrats in the Florida House of Representatives can be heard yelling & shrieking after lawmakers voted to remove Disney’s special tax status"

And there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-