Author Topic: Opinions | When Latino immigration rises, Whites view Black Americans more warmly  (Read 264 times)

rebewranger

Opinions | When Latino immigration rises, Whites view Black Americans more warmly
Opinion by Vasiliki Fouka, Marco Tabellini - Yesterday 4:55 PM

Social scientists have observed that as immigrant groups grow in size, prejudice toward them often increases. Studies have established, for example, that in areas of the United States that have seen increased levels of immigration from Mexico, White Americans have tended to view Latinos more negatively — buying into a narrative about a “Latino invasion.” But how does the increased prominence of one disfavored group affect the standing of other minority groups?

A recent study of ours, which looked at how attitudes toward Hispanic Americans and Black Americans shifted from 1970 to 2010, revealed a zero-sum dynamic in that case. Over the period, hostility toward Latinos rose while hostility toward Black Americans decreased. The effect appears to be causal: In parts of the country that had the most immigration, both the negative views of Latinos and the positive views of Black Americans were stronger.

This suggests boundaries of social groups in diverse societies are not fixed: What divides “us” from “them” changes depending on the context. And the interactions can be complex: Notably, as the number of Hispanics rose, other groups, such as Asian Americans and Muslim Americans, did not benefit in the same way as Black Americans, we found. Our research suggests that is because White Americans viewed Asian Americans and Muslim Americans as more “foreign” than Black Americans.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/opinions-when-latino-immigration-rises-whites-view-black-americans-more-warmly/ar-AAWq6D4?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f9ceacd6bcaf42c6aeb23b3a3e24b4f5

rebewranger

So this whole invasion from South/Central America and Mejico is just a clever way Biden is using to get white people to like blacks more!? 034

Offline Kamaji

I call baloney.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I suspect White Americans view all citizens more warmly than any invaders.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I call baloney.

Reading between the lines, it looks like just another "study" to prove only white people are prejudiced.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

Reading between the lines, it looks like just another "study" to prove only white people are prejudiced.

:thumbsup:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Consider the source of this article: msn.

I live in a neighborhood that is swamped with illegals. And I DO mean "swamped".

Yet whatever else might be said about them, I much prefer them to that "other" ethnic group...

Online libertybele

I suspect White Americans view all citizens more warmly than any invaders.

For me that's it in a nutshell.  LEGAL citizens vs. ILLEGAL invaders.  It's a no brainer!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rustynail

...and rub their heads for good luck...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I call baloney.
Me, too. Whites won't admit animosity or distrust toward Blacks because that would be "racist" (and it is, really), but it's okay to harbor those feelings toward people who speak another language who might be described as "White, Hispanic".

And then there is the whole illegal alien factor.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis