Author Topic: Schumer’s Marijuana Legalization Bill Not Coming This Month, As Senators Work To Finalize Provisions  (Read 248 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Marijuana Moment By Kyle Jaeger 4/14/2022

Schumer’s Marijuana Legalization Bill Not Coming This Month, As Senators Work To Finalize Provisions

The long-anticipated Senate bill to federally legalize marijuana will not be introduced this month, with Democratic leadership saying on Thursday that the timeline is being extended as they continue to work out various provisions “with the assistance of nearly a dozen Senate committees and input from numerous federal agencies.”

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has said on several occasions that the bill he’s been working on with Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) for many months would be formally filed by the end of April. That’s no longer the case, with the leader now saying the “official introduction” will take place sometime “before the August recess.”

A discussion draft of the Cannabis Administration & Opportunity Act (CAOA) was first unveiled last year, and advocates and stakeholders have been hanging on the leader’s words as they continue to push for an end to federal prohibition. Most recently, Schumer said last week that he and colleagues were in the process of reaching out to Republican senators to “see what they want” included in the legislation.

The timeline that Schumer previewed has apparently proved too ambitious—but the hope is that by taking extra time to finalize the measure, it will help the senators overcome what are currently significant odds stacked against them to reach a high vote threshold in the chamber, where Democrats hold just a slim majority and several members of the party have indicated that they’re not supportive of legalization.

CAOA is is “critical legislation that will finally put an end to the federal prohibition on cannabis and address the over-criminalization of cannabis in a comprehensive and meaningful way,” Schumer said in a press release. “I am proud of the progress made in bringing this vital bill closer to its official introduction before the August recess, and I want to thank the committee chairs who have worked with us and remained committed to addressing this issue.”

“CAOA will not only remove cannabis from the federal list of controlled substances, but also help repair our criminal justice system, ensure restorative justice, protect public health, and implement responsible taxes and regulations,” he said.

In the process of finalizing key provisions, working to build consensus with committee leadership and GOP members, the Senate sponsors detailed “key policies” of the bill that are being taken into consideration, including some that advocates would support that weren’t included in the discussion draft such as removing or scaling back drug testing for cannabis for certain federal workers.

Here’s a list of those policy areas that are being looked at as the senators continue to work the bill:

•   Removing unnecessary federal employee pre-employment and random drug testing for cannabis, while preserving appropriate drug testing in transportation-related fields, other sensitive areas of employment, and investigations of accidents and unsafe practices.

•   Specifying membership and duties of the Cannabis Products Advisory Committee, an entity created in the legislation which FDA would convene and consult before promulgating regulations.

•   Clarifying market competition rules meant to protect independent retailers and prevent anti-competitive behavior, to ensure that those rules do not unintentionally undermine state programs that provide access to capital for social equity businesses.

More: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/schumers-marijuana-legalization-bill-not-coming-this-month-as-senators-work-to-finalize-provisions/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This will be turned into a 'big issue' just a few weeks before the election, in hopes that all the rest of the idiocy of this Administration and the Congress will be wiped away with a shot at legalizing weed. The vote on the Bill will be used against whomever it can be as an election issue, in an attempt to steal the limelight from inflation and other lunacies perpetrated by this administration.

Then, too, this is a route to backdoor gun control, with the question on the form 4473: Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Killer Clouds

This will be turned into a 'big issue' just a few weeks before the election, in hopes that all the rest of the idiocy of this Administration and the Congress will be wiped away with a shot at legalizing weed. The vote on the Bill will be used against whomever it can be as an election issue, in an attempt to steal the limelight from inflation and other lunacies perpetrated by this administration.

Then, too, this is a route to backdoor gun control, with the question on the form 4473: Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
If marijuana is legalized then you wouldn't be an unlawful user.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If marijuana is legalized then you wouldn't be an unlawful user.
That only addresses part of the question, though. Even lawfully, there is still the phrase "or addicted to".

Most users would say they are not addicted (and perhaps correctly), but there is the phrase that will leave possession of a firearm open to attack.
In my dealings (indirectly) with addiction counselors, someone does not have to be even a regular user to be 'addicted'.

That debate would leave a lot of people open to prosecution, not only over their firearm(s), but over falsifying a Federal Document under penalty of perjury as well. It's a potential sh*tshow, just the sort of stuff people hostile to private gun ownership and lawyers thrive on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I have an idea why it's taking so long for Schumer to finalize the bill ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline goatprairie

I have an idea why it's taking so long for Schumer to finalize the bill ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw
I have read some sources that claim liberals are about six times as likely to smoke/use dope than conservatives.
Which might explain the current state of liberalism. Liberals didn't use to be quite this crazy.