Author Topic: Gov. Kathy Hochul says she won’t shut down NY as COVID cases spike  (Read 132 times)

Offline Kamaji

Gov. Kathy Hochul says she won’t shut down NY as COVID cases spike

By Sam Raskin
April 17, 2022

Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a new interview that New York would never again be crippled by the COVID-19 pandemic, promising, “I’m not going to shut it down again, you can count on that.”

The Democratic Party nominee for governor vowed to not reimpose COVID-related restrictions that ground the state to a halt — as the Big Apple faces an uptick in cases.

“I’m going to protect the health of New Yorkers, but I’m also protecting the economy,” she told John Catsimatidis, host of “The Cats Roundtable,” in an interview out Sunday.

“I’m not going to shut it down again, you can count on that.”

Hochul’s comments came after New York City health commissioner Dr. Ashwin Vasan revealed Friday the five boroughs will soon shift to a “medium-risk” level due to an increase in cases driven by the highly contagious Omicron subvariant.

“In the next few days, likely by early next week, we’re going to be entering a new level of risk, moving from a low-risk environment to a medium-risk environment on the basis of cases,” he explained on NY1.

The five boroughs are currently considered a “low” risk for community spread, but health officials say the new subvariant of Omicron, BA.2, as of Wednesday accounted for about 80% of the state’s infections.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/17/gov-kathy-hochul-says-ny-will-not-shut-down-as-covid-19-cases-rise/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Gov. Kathy Hochul says she won’t shut down NY as COVID cases spike
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 02:33:13 pm »
We shall see ....