Author Topic: New Mexico is paying college tuition for illegal immigrants with COVID relief funds  (Read 220 times)

rebewranger

New Mexico is paying college tuition for illegal immigrants with COVID relief funds
The New Mexico Opportunity Scholarship Act provides scholarships covering tuition and fees at the state's public higher education institutions.
Campus Reform covered the bill's advancement through the legislature in February.
Article image
Alexa Schwerha | Reporter
Wednesday, April 13, 2022 10:09 AM

New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has signed the New Mexico Opportunity Scholarship Act into law, which provides scholarships covering tuition and fees at the state's public higher education institutions.

The law extends to illegal immigrants, The New York Times reports, in addition to prison inmates and students from "tribal nations" that extend beyond state borders.

"A fully funded Opportunity Scholarship opens the door for every New Mexican to reach higher, strengthening our economy, our families and our communities,” Lujan Grisham said in a press release.

The New York Times reports that the program will cost $75 million for the 2023 fiscal year, with "$63 million com[ing] from pandemic relief funds."

https://campusreform.org/article?id=19349

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
 **nononono*

More tax dollare to support the wokademic establishment and raise tuitions.

Just once I'd like to see a stipulation that if the funds aren't used for what they are earmarked, they go back to the treasury.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:43:31 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
COVID put more slush fund money out there than anything in history.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis