Author Topic: U.S. Wind Surpassed Both Coal And Nuclear Power For The First Time Ever  (Read 307 times)

rebewranger

U.S. Wind Surpassed Both Coal And Nuclear Power For The First Time Ever
By Charles Kennedy - Apr 14, 2022, 4:30 PM CDT

Power generation from wind turbines was the second-largest source of electricity in the United States on March 29, behind only natural gas and surpassing both coal and nuclear power generation for the first time on record, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) said on Thursday. 

On March 29, wind turbines in the Lower 48 states produced 2,017 gigawatt-hours (GWh) of electricity, EIA’s Hourly Electric Grid Monitor showed. Daily wind-powered electricity had surpassed coal-fired and nuclear electricity generation separately on other days earlier this year but had not surpassed both sources on a single day, the administration noted.

The U.S. wind power capacity installation has soared in recent years to the point where wind capacity exceeded nuclear capacity in September 2019.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/US-Wind-Surpassed-Both-Coal-And-Nuclear-Power-For-The-First-Time-Ever.html

rebewranger

At first I thought the article was about all the wind coming from politicians which could easily supply energy for the whole country. :tongue2:

Offline Kamaji

Telling half-truths is much more effective than simply lying outright.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Currently, wind power ranks as the third-largest source of generating capacity in the United States, behind natural gas-fired generators and coal-fired generators, the EIA said.

That's capacity, not production.

The average capacity factor of U.S. wind generators was 35 percent in 2021, much lower than the average capacity factor of nuclear generators, 93 percent in 2021. Nuclear generators are designed to run at or near full output, which they typically do.

Puts the exclamation point on why wind is such a boondoggle.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

The third largest capacity, operating at 35%, is a lot less than what they are touting. I wonder where that leaves wind compared to all the rest (actual output, not wish in one hand stuff).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
The third largest capacity, operating at 35%, is a lot less than what they are touting. I wonder where that leaves wind compared to all the rest (actual output, not wish in one hand stuff).

I wish they had included more numbers in the article, but it seems wind only outdoes coal or nuclear a few times a year. Not to mention wind has the junkiest curve of all electricity sources and is a highly unreliable input to the grid, even at the '35% average'.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This seems all fine and dandy to have wind energy power the grid until we consider reliability, which should unquestionably be a central component of our power grid.

Here's a cold hard fact from last year's Texas storm when millions lost power
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
This seems all fine and dandy to have wind energy power the grid until we consider reliability, which should unquestionably be a central component of our power grid.

If you at all want a modern industrial base, you need a highly reliable grid. Even brownouts or outages for just a couple of seconds can wreak havoc on a manufacturing facility.
The Republic is lost.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Vulcan observes:
"If you at all want a modern industrial base, you need a highly reliable grid."

But that's the problem.
The green elite DOESN'T WANT "a reliable grid".
And they certainly don't want "an industrial base" to go along with it...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: U.S. Wind Surpassed Both Coal And Nuclear Power For The First Time Ever
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 04:52:52 pm »
As Shakespeare noted, "Thereby hangs a tale"

(Othello)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Re: U.S. Wind Surpassed Both Coal And Nuclear Power For The First Time Ever
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 04:54:20 pm »

Here's a cold hard fact from last year's Texas storm when millions lost power

Give me some nuclear!