Author Topic: ‘Sun’s wrath’: Plasma ejections could impact Earth, wreak havoc today  (Read 349 times)

Offline Kamaji

‘Sun’s wrath’: Plasma ejections could impact Earth, wreak havoc today

By Brooke Kato
April 14, 2022

You might not want to catch these rays.

An unusual magnetic storm emitting from the sun has the potential to impact Earth on Thursday and cause noticeable damage and disruptions.

Dubbed the “sun’s wrath,” the Center of Excellence in Space Sciences India (CESSI) tweeted this week about the detection of energy expulsions, hypothesizing a “very high probability of Earth impact” on April 14.

The solar activity is what scientists call a geomagnetic storm, which produces a “magnetic discharge” of Coronal Mass Ejections.

Basically, increased activity on the sun will eject this energy toward our planet, causing power blackouts and radio signal disruptions.

On the bright side, the solar flares create a beautiful show of lights — called auroras — like the northern lights.

“While the storms create beautiful aurora, they also can disrupt navigation systems such as the Global Navigation Satellite System and create harmful geomagnetic induced currents in the power grid and pipelines,” according to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/14/plasma-ejections-from-the-sun-could-impact-earth-today/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Knowing what time today would have been useful. tri22
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Knowing what time today would have been useful. tri22

Day's almost over.  Still havoc free.  Thank God for the science.  It never lets us down.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Emphasis on "could" people!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Emphasis on "could" people!

I have a PC that I still haven't turned on since 12/31/1999.  I'm afraid the Y2K bug will devastate all the data.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.