Author Topic: U.S. life expectancy fell by 2 yrs in 2020, sharpest drop among high-income peers  (Read 531 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
MSN By Mrinalika Roy 4/13/2022

Life expectancy in the United States fell by nearly two years in 2020 to about 77 years amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the sharpest drop compared to 19 other high-income countries, according to a recent analysis.

Americans, on average, had a life expectancy of 76.99 years in 2020, down from 78.86 years in 2019, according to the study, which looked at national death and population counts in 2019 and 2020, as well as provisional data for 2021 to calculate mortality rate ratios.

The decline of 1.87 years in life expectancy for 2020 was far higher than the mean reduction of 0.57 years in 19 peer countries, including Canada, France, Germany, Denmark and South Korea. No country experienced a decrease as steep as that of the United States, according to the analysis, which was published as a preprint on the medRxiv website.

U.S. COVID-19 mortality and excess deaths were among the highest in the world and the virus was the third leading cause of death in the United States in 2020, after heart disease and cancer.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/us-life-expectancy-fell-by-2-yrs-in-2020-sharpest-drop-among-high-income-peers/ar-AAWba8Y

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What no mention of OD's from Chinese smuggled fentanyl laced drugs. Black killing blacks in blue cities?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What no mention of OD's from Chinese smuggled fentanyl laced drugs. Black killing blacks in blue cities?
Not just blacks, and not just in the cities.

I do wonder how much of that was suicides, ODs, and murder rate jumps in those jurisdictions.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I know full well that at last checked the life expectancy of a U.S. citizen was around 75 years old, not 79, before COVID. So if it's 77 now, that number actually went up!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I know full well that at last checked the life expectancy of a U.S. citizen was around 75 years old, not 79, before COVID. So if it's 77 now, that number actually went up!
I'm not sure of your sources, but here goes with data in 5 year intervals from 1860 to 2020.

From 2010-2015 (this is a graph with 5 yr. data points) the life expectancy of a US citizen was nearly 79 years. The drop for 2015-2020 is less than 2 years, but that drop would be spread over the 5 year interval.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1040079/life-expectancy-united-states-all-time/

The other two declines in overall life expectancy came during the Civil War and the Spanish Flu.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis