Author Topic: Texas AG Paxton invites legal fight with Biden admin over busing migrants to DC: 'I'm daring them'  (Read 227 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fox News by  Marisa Schultz 4/9/2022

Texas AG Paxton invites legal fight with Biden admin over busing migrants to DC: 'I'm daring them'

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said he's 'daring' the Biden admin to follow federal law

Texas may be poised for a legal showdown with the Biden administration over immigration policy as the state's top attorney said he would urge GOP Gov. Greg Abbott to send migrants to Washington D.C. – flouting federal laws.

Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton acknowledged a 2012 Supreme Court case, Arizona v. the United States, prevents states from making their own immigration policies and is a "problem" for Texas' efforts. Still, he wants Texas to move ahead with busing migrants to Biden's doorstep and suggested the Supreme Court, now with a solid 6-3 conservative majority, could give the issue a fresh look.

"I think that was wrongly decided," Paxton told "Fox and Friends" of the Arizona case. "So I'd encourage the governor to force people to be sent out of our state and make the federal government sue us [and] take that back to the U.S Supreme Court."

In an interview with Fox News Digital Saturday, Paxton said he wasn't daring the Biden administration to sue Texas, rather, "I'm daring them to follow federal law. But if they're not going to, why should the governor not be able to protect his state?"

The legal storm is surrounding Abbott's announcement this week he'd send the migrants by charter buses and flights to Washington, D.C., to bring the crisis to Biden's doorstep.

Republicans, as well some Democrats, are up in arms that the Biden administration will rescind the Title 42 public health emergency on May 23 that has been used to quickly expel a majority of migrants at the border because of the coronavirus pandemic. They've warned it will cause a surge in migration -- on top of the already massive numbers being encountered by Border Patrol each day.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-invites-legal-fight-biden-administration-busing-migrants-dc?utm_source=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndicated