Author Topic: Pelosi rejects gas tax holiday  (Read 169 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pelosi rejects gas tax holiday
« on: March 31, 2022, 06:23:47 pm »
 Pelosi rejects gas tax holiday
by Cristina Marcos - 03/31/22 1:37 PM ET

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday poured cold water on the idea of suspending the federal gas taxes as a way to reduce the costs of higher gas prices for consumers.

Pelosi acknowledged that the proposal, which has been floated by some Democrats in recent weeks, sounds appealing in theory. But she argued it doesn’t help consumers much in the long term since oil companies are not required to pass on the savings.

Furthermore, suspending the gas tax would take away the primary source of money for the Highway Trust Fund, which finances roads and mass transit.

“The pro is very showbiz. ‘OK, let’s just do something, there it is.’ But it is not necessarily landing in the pocket of the consumer,” Pelosi said at a press conference in the Capitol.

She suggested that measures such as rebates or direct payments to consumers would be more effective to provide Americans relief from the higher cost of gas.

“How do we help people directly? If you’re going to have to pay for it and you don’t want it to come out of the Trust Fund, something could be a rebate card or a direct payments. And those are the things that are being considered,” Pelosi said.

more
https://thehill.com/news/house/3175180-pelosi-rejects-gas-tax-holiday/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EdinVA

Re: Pelosi rejects gas tax holiday
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 06:27:45 pm »
So, pelosi is the assistant dictator?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 06:52:00 pm »
So this "Trust Fund" has a Lock Box?   Right Nan.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 07:26:52 pm »
I agree.  It's a gimmick, not a solution.  A solution is to improve fuel efficiencies, allow drilling, allow pipelines to be built, and eliminate biofuel blending mandates.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 09:55:44 pm »
I agree.  It's a gimmick, not a solution.  A solution is to improve fuel efficiencies, allow drilling, allow pipelines to be built, and eliminate biofuel blending mandates.
Environmental headaches are the biggest problem.  It bogs down all activity due to bureaucratic paper shuffling, and frequently causes the ensuing project to erase its economic attractiveness.  And that is if it permitted at all.

Chiefly, return authority to the states in all matters related to oil and gas.  If New York state wishes to ban fraccing in its state when Pennsylvania produces records amounts of hydrocarbons, it is free to so as punishment to New Yorkers.  Citizens will ultimately flee to better states which is the entire premise of federalism.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington