Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren: Elon Musk ‘Didn’t Make It on His Own — He Got Huge Investments from the Government  (Read 398 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Elizabeth Warren: Elon Musk ‘Didn’t Make It on His Own — He Got Huge Investments from the Government, from Taxpayers’

Trent Baker 29 Mar 2022

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) on Tuesday continued her feud with tech giant Elon Musk.

Warren, who has called the Tesla founder and SpaceX CEO a “freeloader” because he did not pay taxes in 2018 nor 2020, argued on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that Musk “didn’t make it on his own.” She noted Musk “got huge investments from the government” and “taxpayers.”

“Look, I’m happy to celebrate success, but let’s remember Elon Musk didn’t make it on his own,” Warren emphasized. “He got huge investments from the government, from taxpayers, from those public school teachers and those minimum wage workers who have been paying their taxes all along to get that business up and running and help see it through rough times. And the thing is, as Americans, we’re glad to help make those investments. We’re glad to all have a hand in helping create all of those jobs. All we’re saying is when you make it to the top, to the very tippy-tippy top, then pay something in so everybody else gets a share.”

She continued, “Elon Musk paying this year, that’s great because he chose to sell some stock — 2018, also one of the richest people in the world. How much did Elon Musk pay that year? We actually saw his taxes that year, and the answer is he paid zero. The public school teacher did not have the option to pay zero in 2018 or in 2020.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/03/29/elizabeth-warren-elon-musk-didnt-make-it-on-his-own-he-got-huge-investments-from-the-government-from-taxpayers/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Without Elon Musk, there wouldn't be anything there.  Sorry, the only necessary and sufficient condition was the presence, skill, and imagination of Musk, not of any government financial support, assuming arguendo it was there.

As such, the government gets no credit for Musk's accomplishments.  Only a crypto-fascist like Warren would think otherwise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Congress gets buttloads of money every year. At least Musk gets results.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

We actually saw his taxes that year, and the answer is he paid zero.

His taxes or his corporate taxes?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Elon Musk and the Government benefitted by providing subsidies to build new Solar, Electric Vehicle, and Space industries in the US.

Those at the tippy top receive much of their income or compensation in the form of capital gains, not weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly earned income paychecks.

With capital gains, you only pay taxes on realized gains (assets sold/converted to cash or another asset class of value).  He only pays when he sells stock at a gain.

If he sells stock at a loss, he gets to carry that over to subsequent tax years to offset future realized gains.

What he pays during any given year is based upon his net (gains minus applied losses) capital gains during the year.

That's why people who work for a paycheck are chumps, muppets if you will. Paychecks get ding'ed for Medicare Tax, Social Security Tax, and Federal Income Tax.

Capital gains get ding'd at rate lower than Federal Income Tax, but also don't get ding'd with Medicare Tax and Social Security Tax.

If the tax laws and regulations are "unfair", then can be adjusted or changed via the Congressional legislative process.

The issue for Dems is that they only want to INCREASE taxes.  Dems don't want to decrease any taxes for any one.

If Warren feels bad for teachers, Congress can always decrease the Federal Income Tax for teachers or the income bracket in which most teachers fall.  But no.  Dems would rather raise taxes on the 1% of the 1% than lower them for hard working unwashed masses.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I used to give Musk a lot of grief for building the most valuable car company in the world on the backs of tax payer subsidies.

But his anti-woke advocacy has wiped the slate clean as far as I am concerned.  In the future, I hope he is our version of Soros.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdinVA

Elon Musk's multibillion-dollar companies that build electric cars, launch space rockets and sell solar panels were built through the help of an estimated $4.9 billion in government incentives, an analysis of federal data reveals.
https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/elon-musk-billionaire-receives-government/2015/05/31/id/647760/

That is less than the feds waste in a day.....

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I used to give Musk a lot of grief for building the most valuable car company in the world on the backs of tax payer subsidies.

But his anti-woke advocacy has wiped the slate clean as far as I am concerned.  In the future, I hope he is our version of Soros.

Yup, kinda how I came around on him too.  If Elon would buy twitter and shut it down I would worship at his feet!   :media:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

If Musk paid zero taxes in a given year, that is almost certainly because either (a) he had a net operating loss in income for that year, or (b) he had foreign tax credits - which represent very real foreign taxes he paid on foreign-source income - which fully offset the U.S. income tax on that self-same foreign income.

Since the U.S. taxes citizens and residents on their worldwide income, without regard to whether that income is also subject to tax in the country in which it was actually earned, it has been U.S. tax policy almost since the time the income tax was implemented, to allow citizen and resident taxpayers a tax credit against their U.S. income tax liability for foreign income taxes that were imposed on their foreign-source income.  Since many times the foreign taxes will be higher than the U.S. taxes, the net effect of this is that the U.S. taxpayer whose income is predominantly from foreign countries that have higher rates of income tax will normally not pay any net U.S. income tax on that foreign source income.

This is not some sort of tax evasion or avoidance, it is classic U.S. tax policy in action.

Geez.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Yup, kinda how I came around on him too.  If Elon would buy twitter and shut it down I would worship at his feet!   :media:

Musk Net Worth - $233B

Twatter Market Cap- $32B

Chump change for Musk....   Do it Elon!!!!!

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
If Musk paid zero taxes in a given year, that is almost certainly because either (a) he had a net operating loss in income for that year, or (b) he had foreign tax credits - which represent very real foreign taxes he paid on foreign-source income - which fully offset the U.S. income tax on that self-same foreign income.

Since the U.S. taxes citizens and residents on their worldwide income, without regard to whether that income is also subject to tax in the country in which it was actually earned, it has been U.S. tax policy almost since the time the income tax was implemented, to allow citizen and resident taxpayers a tax credit against their U.S. income tax liability for foreign income taxes that were imposed on their foreign-source income.  Since many times the foreign taxes will be higher than the U.S. taxes, the net effect of this is that the U.S. taxpayer whose income is predominantly from foreign countries that have higher rates of income tax will normally not pay any net U.S. income tax on that foreign source income.

This is not some sort of tax evasion or avoidance, it is classic U.S. tax policy in action.

Geez.

You mean Fauxchahonas would cherry pick data for her argument?  Shocked I tell ya.....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
 :silly:

I just find it amusing that a fake Indian would spend her time attacking a genuine African American and the media aren't making a peep.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

You mean Fauxchahonas would cherry pick data for her argument?  Shocked I tell ya.....

I know, right?!

Online DB

Elon did game the government. He got government loan guarantees where if his business deal succeeded, he won and if it went south taxpayers lost.

Not a fan of that.

Otherwise Elon is a brilliant guy.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

If not for Musk, US would not have Electric Vehicle industry and Space Industry.

Before SpaceX, American astronauts had to hitch rides on Russian rockets and capsules.

Subsidizing Musk to instantiate new industries in the US is akin to the US Government giving land grants to railroads, so they could sell land to pay for railroads' construction.

I don't see Dems attempting to build new American industries.  I only see them importing from China.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That is less than the feds waste in a day.....
If one looks at just SpaceX I would consider it a cheap investment. Who else out there successfully put so much innovation in place in such a short time? And where would we be without Musk and his SpaceX now with the Russian situation. Fauxchantass needs to STFU and talk about what she knows, stealing a racial heritage and position from real Native Americans(still hate that moniker) for profit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"You didn't build that."  Nice blast from the past there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Democrats pointing the finger at anyone for irresponsible spending!
 :tongue2: :silly: :rolling: 88finger point :happyhappy: :mauslaff: :laughingdog: :bigsilly: :happyhappy:  :tongue2:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions