Author Topic: Ketanji Brown Jackson's Supreme Court confirmation hearing | LIVE on March 21 at 10:30 a.m. ET  (Read 8993 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Washington Post

Ketanji Brown Jackson, President Biden’s pick for the Supreme Court, appears before the Senate Judiciary Committee. If confirmed, she would  replace retiring Justice Stephen G. Breyer, becoming the first Black woman to sit on the Supreme Court.

Jackson, 51, would also be just the third African American in the high court’s 233-year history. A former public defender, she served as a trial court judge in Washington for eight years before Biden elevated her last year to the influential U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. She was confirmed to that court after a relatively uncontentious Senate hearing and with the backing of three Republican lawmakers.

Libby Casey will anchor coverage from the Washington Post newsroom, with reporting and analysis from Rhonda Colvin, James Hohmann, Seung Min Kim, Ann Marimow, Amber Philips and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAbTrpmeeUQ

Offline Kamaji

I hope she gets as much hell as Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Gorsuch got.

Online Hoodat

Why are the Republicans allowing a confirmation hearing when there is no vacancy?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
WHY in the unshirted hell is there even a nominee at this point?  As far as I'm aware, there is no current vacancy!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

What says there must be a current vacancy?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
What says there must be a current vacancy?

Current law fixes the number of SCOTUS seats at nine and all of them are currently filled @Kamaji

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Current law fixes the number of SCOTUS seats at nine and all of them are currently filled @Kamaji

Yes, it does, but that doesn't impose a necessary restriction on there being a nomination and a confirmation hearing.  It means that, assuming arguendo, there was a confirmation, the confirmation is dry (i.e., pointless), because the individual who was confirmed cannot be seated until there is a vacancy.

Unless, of course, one wants to start exploring penumbrae of the Constitution, that is.

Offline Kamaji

Apparently Nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomination_and_confirmation_to_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States
So I guess if Breyer doesn't retire, then we'll have 10 Justices.

Maybe so, maybe not.  We wouldn't have 10 justices serving on the Supreme Court, and we wouldn't have 10 justices making decisions on cases before the Court, because that number is limited to nine.

We would have nine active justices, and one reserve justice, if you will.

Online mountaineer

Vice President Kamala Harris
@VP
United States government official
Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson has impeccable character and a dedication to the rule of law.
At this week’s hearings, the world will see just how exceptional a Supreme Court Justice she will be.
10:43 AM · Mar 21, 2022·

Jackson's one and only "qualification" for the job is the same one Harris offered the Biden/Harris ticket.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Jackson's one and only "qualification" for the job is the same one Harris offered the Biden/Harris ticket.

I dunno.  I think Harris' heels spent more time in the air than Jackson's did.

Online Hoodat

Maybe so, maybe not.  We wouldn't have 10 justices serving on the Supreme Court, and we wouldn't have 10 justices making decisions on cases before the Court, because that number is limited to nine.

9 + 1 = 10
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

Offline Kamaji

9 + 1 = 10

If the 1 is not sitting on the bench, hearing cases, and deciding them, then that 1 is simply a justice in reserve.  A dry confirmation.  I don't see anything that expressly prevents that state of affairs.

The only argument that might come up is if a pre-vacancy nomination is made and confirmed, and then there is a change of president, so that a vacancy only arises after the president who made the pre-vacancy nomination is no longer in office.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I hope she gets as much hell as Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Gorsuch got.

I do too but according to McConnell that won't happen...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

I do too but according to McConnell that won't happen...

To what end?  So the GOP can, once again, appear to be supine?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Where does it say we can have "one reserve justice" @Kamaji

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Where does it say we can have "one reserve justice" @Kamaji

Where does it say we cannot?

I openly admit it would be an interesting question, and if she is confirmed and Breyer retires during Bidet's administration, I don't see the question being litigated.

However, there is nothing in the Constitution or in the relevant statutes that prohibits a pre-vacancy nomination or a confirmation hearing, particularly in light of the announced intentions of a currently sitting justice to retire.

The statute currently forbids more than nine sitting justices actively hearing cases and deciding them; it doesn't of its own necessary language do more than that.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Where does it say we cannot?

I openly admit it would be an interesting question, and if she is confirmed and Breyer retires during Bidet's administration, I don't see the question being litigated.

However, there is nothing in the Constitution or in the relevant statutes that prohibits a pre-vacancy nomination or a confirmation hearing, particularly in light of the announced intentions of a currently sitting justice to retire.

The statute currently forbids more than nine sitting justices actively hearing cases and deciding them; it doesn't of its own necessary language do more than that.

The letter of the law says nine.  No mention of any "reserve" justice(s).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 03:34:38 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

The letter of the law does not foreclose a pre-vacancy nomination, nor does it foreclose a pre-vacancy confirmation.  All that it forecloses is a successful pre-vacancy confirmee from serving on the Supreme Court prior to the time that a vacancy arises.

Online Hoodat

If the 1 is not sitting on the bench, hearing cases, and deciding them, then that 1 is simply a justice in reserve.

A justice in reserve is still a justice.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

There are eleven Republicans (and eleven Democrats) on the Judiciary Committee.  I want to know who the Republican is that voted 'yes' to this fiasco.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

What Senators Must Ask Supreme Court Nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson About Her Record, Judicial Philosophy
Feb 28th, 2022 8 min read
John Malcolm
Thomas Jipping

Key Takeaways

1. President Joe Biden has nominated U.S. Circuit Court Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer.

2. While on the bench, Jackson has issued some opinions that should trouble Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

3. Jackson should be asked some tough question about whether she believes that courts should be overtly political institutions.  ... Read entire article at Heritage Foundation

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

The letter of the law does not foreclose a pre-vacancy nomination, nor does it foreclose a pre-vacancy confirmation.  All that it forecloses is a successful pre-vacancy confirmee from serving on the Supreme Court prior to the time that a vacancy arises.

Why not two or three "reserve" justices? Hell, Why not eight or nine?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
There are eleven Republicans (and eleven Democrats) on the Judiciary Committee.  I want to know who the Republican is that voted 'yes' to this fiasco.

I do not currently KNOW the answer to that question but would wager a LOT on it being our "friend" Lindsey Graham. @Hoodat

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

Why not two or three "reserve" justices? Hell, Why not eight or nine?

Hey, now that would be a neat trick.  The Dems could confirm a hundred reserve justices.  That way, every time there is a future vacancy, they would have already selected a replacement.

Republicans take control of the Senate next year?  Too bad.  The Dems have already confirmed all the future Supreme Court Justices for the next 50 years.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-