Author Topic: Here’s the List of 87 Potential New Names for Confederate-Named Army Posts  (Read 162 times)

rebewranger

Here’s the List of 87 Potential New Names for Confederate-Named Army Posts

The congressionally mandated commission will send its final recommendations in October.
CAITLIN M. KENNEY | MARCH 17, 2022
ARMY

The federal Naming Commission has released a list of 87 potential names for nine posts named for Confederate generals.

The list—which includes historical military figures, recent Medal of Honor recipients, and more—was drawn from a total of 3,670 unique names among the 34,000-plus submissions the congressionally mandated commission received via its website and during members’ visits to the posts and surrounding communities, according to a Thursday press release.

The Army posts being renamed are Fort Hood, Texas; Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Fort Rucker, Alabama; Fort Polk, Louisiana; Fort Benning and Fort Gordon in Georgia; and Fort A.P. Hill, Fort Lee, and Fort Pickett in Virginia.

“It’s important that the names we recommend for these installations appropriately reflect the courage, values and sacrifices of our diverse military men and women,” Michelle Howard, the retired Navy admiral who chairs the commission, said in the statement. “We also are considering the local and regional significance of names and their potential to inspire and motivate our service members.”

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2022/03/heres-list-87-potential-new-names-confederate-named-army-posts/363306/

rebewranger

If ever there were a list to inspire memories of all the great names of heroes in the Army, this isn't it.  Reading this list will put people to sleep faster than counting sheep.  But, in keeping with the modern Army, it is a PC list. :3:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I was shocked to see no Fort Julie Andrews was listed.

No Fort Oprah or Fort Liberance,either.

I'm beginning to wonder if those people are serious.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 02:46:02 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Back in the day, these bases were named for military prowess.  One of the reasons the Confederacy lasted so long was that they had a hell of bench strength of great leaders with names Like R.E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Longstreet, Johnston, and a host of others.

It all should make everyone shudder that woke political ideology has replaced competency in today's military brain trust.

Especially with what is going on in Ukraine.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.