Author Topic: Soldier tried to identify as a ‘weak swimmer’ before Ranger School river drowning  (Read 575 times)

rebewranger

Soldier tried to identify as a ‘weak swimmer’ before Ranger School river drowning
By Kyle Rempfer
 Mar 16, 02:04 PM

Cpl. James A. Requenez was a high performer, known for his selflessness and carrying the most weight on ruck marches.

But prior to a river crossing during Ranger School’s final phase in Florida in March 2021, he exercised a rare moment of personal concern, according to witness statements made after his drowning death that were obtained by Army Times.

Before Requenez’s class began their final field exercise, instructors asked which students were the “weak swimmers,” a label that offers extra safety considerations. Requenez raised his hand.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2022/03/16/soldier-tried-to-identify-as-a-weak-swimmer-before-ranger-school-river-drowning/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sounds like someone in the Ranger School cadre is going to get their ass handed to him.

I just hope it is the "right" somebody and not a "handy" somebody.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I read about drownings and freezing to death on 'training' missions. But there is a fight for life issue in all this. When in a military training assignment which becomes too real, the only thing I think about is myself. To HELL with the training. If I am in real serious danger, F*ck It! I will do what I need to do to live. To hell with anything else.

Dump the pack, dump the 240, dump everything and get your ass to safety. Some recruits are so obsessed with 'passing' ... they forget you have to be alive to do that.

They need to tell these Dumbos, if you are in real serious danger then screw everything and get to safety. "It is just training."

This is a failure of the people leading this training mission to inform the recruits that their safety is the primary concern.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I read about drownings and freezing to death on 'training' missions. But there is a fight for life issue in all this. When in a military training assignment which becomes too real, the only thing I think about is myself. To HELL with the training. If I am in real serious danger, F*ck It! I will do what I need to do to live. To hell with anything else.

Dump the pack, dump the 240, dump everything and get your ass to safety. Some recruits are so obsessed with 'passing' ... they forget you have to be alive to do that.

They need to tell these Dumbos, if you are in real serious danger then screw everything and get to safety. "It is just training."

This is a failure of the people leading this training mission to inform the recruits that their safety is the primary concern.

@240B

That doesn't work so well for Rangers. They want soldiers that would rather die than quit.

So do the Airborne and SF units.

This is the difference between them and the regular army.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@240B

That doesn't work so well for Rangers. They want soldiers that would rather die than quit.

So do the Airborne and SF units.

This is the difference between them and the regular army.

HaHaHa you have been watching too many movies, son. "Rather die than quit." Really? You are insane. There is NO logic in that. But nevermind me as a lowly regular army stupid slug. You carry on sir. Die for your ideals.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
HaHaHa you have been watching too many movies, son. "Rather die than quit." Really? You are insane. There is NO logic in that. But nevermind me as a lowly regular army stupid slug. You carry on sir. Die for your ideals.

@240B

I was a career SF NCO that served 7 years on active duty before being forced into retirement due to Agent Orange infestation during my 2nd volunteer tour in VN. Had huge boils form all over my torso,and could no longer wear web gear or a rucksack,so I got medi-evaced back to Ft.Bragg. Could no longer serve in SF because I was on a physical profile that required me to avoid sweating and to shower at least once a day,so I was sent to serve with the regular army. Hated that so much I got out of the army despite being offered another promotion if I would re-enlist. I didn't join the army to be a babysitter.

If I ever met or knew anyone that I served with in SF that ever quit anything,I don't know who it was.

I did know several people who had to be ordered to stop running covert missions into Cambodia,Laos,and North VN during the VN war,though.

One was Bob Howard,who was put in for a Medal of Honor 3 times in 13 months. I can't remember how many times Bob got wounded,but quit accepting Purple Hearts after 5 or 6 unless he was wounded enough to be hospitalized.

AND......Bob started out as the camp supply sgt.

He was given a battlefield commission to 1st Lt before he left VN. He retired as a Colonel. Bob died several years ago,and he was one of the finest men I ever met and one of the nicest. As long as he thought you were doing your duty,anyhow. If he suspected you of being a slacker,you needed to hide from him until you could catch an airplane back to Nha Trang and a reassignment somewhere else. Bob did NOT tolerate slackers.

BTW,he went through Ranger School when in his 40's,and graduated as Honor Graduate.

MY thinking on people that quit when the going gets tough is those are the people who will cut and run  and leave you wounded and bleeding after a firefight.

I DO see and understand your thinking if you were never in close combat with a small unit,though. I just don't agree with it. Then again,I agreed with damn little I saw during my brief exposures to the regular army.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:30:14 am by sneakypete »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You do realize the subject of the article is 'training'? I don't think you are getting the context.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You do realize the subject of the article is 'training'? I don't think you are getting the context.

@240B

Yes,I DO understand the context,and I DO agree with your POV for regular army soldiers on training missions. The regular army has huge resources that deploy with them to the field to fight battles. This is not true of Ranger units,recon units,and SF units. We only have each other to rely on. Yes,we DO ask for and accept help when we need it,and IF we can get it,but we get up every morning knowing we can only rely on each other.

You HAVE to have that mindset to operate away from Big Mama Army.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

@240B

Yes,I DO understand the context,and I DO agree with your POV for regular army soldiers on training missions. The regular army has huge resources that deploy with them to the field to fight battles. This is not true of Ranger units,recon units,and SF units. We only have each other to rely on. Yes,we DO ask for and accept help when we need it,and IF we can get it,but we get up every morning knowing we can only rely on each other.

You HAVE to have that mindset to operate away from Big Mama Army.
@sneakypete
HooRAH!! Rambo! You go get um!

Not going to post my military resume' online except to say that you do not know me or what I have seen, what I have been though, and what I have done.

The idea that you are trying to verbally place yourself somehow 'above' me, as if you are saying, ... "I am the real deal, dude! You wouldn't understand!" ... is cute but inaccurate. I'm guessing you wear a bandana and fatigues everywhere you go.

But, whatever. You need to calm down man. You really do need to chill out.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 04:05:45 am by 240B »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
HooRAH!! Rambo! You go get um!

Not going to post my military resume' online except to say that you do not know me or what I have seen, what I have been though, and what I have done.

The idea that you are trying to verbally place yourself somehow 'above' me, as if you are saying, ... "I am the real deal, dude! You wouldn't understand!" ... is cute but inaccurate. I'm guessing you wear a bandana and fatigues everywhere you go.

But, whatever. You need to calm down man. You really do need to chill out.

@240B

Seems like I hit a nerve.

rebewranger

You two are getting a bit too personal.  You both have excellent insights into the working of Special Forces.  There is no need for personnel attacks.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@240B

Seems like I hit a nerve.

@240B
@sneakypete

Just know that I love the hell out of both of you!    Thank you BOTH for your service.

:beer:    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You two are getting a bit too personal.  You both have excellent insights into the working of Special Forces.  There is no need for personnel attacks.

I support this message.

:thumbsup:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It was back in nineteen forty-two,
I was a member of a good platoon.
We were on maneuvers in Louisiana,
One night by the light of the moon.
The captain told us to ford a river,
That's how it all begun.
We were -- knee deep in the Big Muddy,
But the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, are you sure,
This is the best way back to the base?"
"Sergeant, go on! I forded this river
'Bout a mile above this place.
It'll be a little soggy but just keep slogging.
We'll soon be on dry ground."
We were, waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, with all this equipment
No man will be able to swim."
"Sergeant, don't be a Nervous Nellie, "
The Captain said to him.
"All we need is a little determination;
Men, follow me, I'll lead on."
We were, neck deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool said to push on.

All at once, the moon clouded over,