Author Topic: 'Fear Is the Tool of Totalitarians': Ron Paul on War, Money, and the Libertarian Moment  (Read 52 times)

Offline Kamaji

'Fear Is the Tool of Totalitarians': Ron Paul on War, Money, and the Libertarian Moment

The former Texas congressman and presidential candidate says his goal was to get people to think about freedom.

By JOHN STOSSEL

I dislike politicians. I don't trust people who are so desperately eager to run others' lives.

But former Texas congressman Ron Paul is different. He wants government to leave us alone.

He promoted the benefits of limited government and free markets long before I'd even thought about them.

I first interviewed Paul in 2007. ABC News wouldn't broadcast it. They only played it online. Now everything's online. I like it better that way.

This week I released a new, longer video with Paul.

Paul ran for president three times, losing first as a Libertarian—and then twice as a Republican. The second time, he won 10 percent of the primary vote.

I then thought Americans were finally coming to appreciate libertarianism. The New York Times Magazine even asked, "Has the 'Libertarian Moment' Finally Arrived?"

That was the kiss of death.

Libertarian candidates now get fewer votes than Paul got in 2012.

"Did you make progress?" I ask him.

Paul says his goal was to get people to think about freedom. He's succeeded there, at least somewhat.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/03/16/fear-is-the-tool-of-totalitarians-ron-paul-on-war-money-and-the-libertarian-moment/