Author Topic: Gas hikes cause pain at the pump (Iowa)  (Read 473 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Gas hikes cause pain at the pump (Iowa)
« on: March 15, 2022, 06:17:48 pm »

Gas prices are like the weather. Everyone complains about them but no one (can do) anything about them.

The helpless feeling makes the situation worse, but we asked people what they thought the government should do to alleviate the pain at the pump. (We could post the current price, but by the time you read this it will likely be 50 cents a gallon higher.)

“We need to start generating our own like we used to,” said Pat Hollister.

“I’ll take a couple of nasty tweets and still be able to pay $1.80 a gallon,” Hollister said, in reference to criticism brought against former president Donald Trump.

What about the situation in Ukraine, which is what many are saying is driving up the prices?

“I see it as an excuse,” Hollister said. “(Biden) shut down the refineries.”

Misty Wert is another person who blames the person in the White House.

“Everybody that voted for (President Joe) Biden should have to pay the higher cost,” Wert said.

As to how much the Russian invasion of Ukraine is playing a factor, “They (the government) should open up the pipeline.”

Besides, the higher prices “started way before Ukraine,” Wert said.

Michelle Burnett also put the blame on the president and said, “I think he’s too green.”

She said of relying on solar and wind, “There’s not enough natural resources to keep up. He’s wanting to do away with coal. That’s something we’ve got plenty of.”

Taegan Hamilton is a junior at Fort Madison High School, and, “We were just talking about this in our government class.”

She said she doesn’t keep up on politics that much, but, “Based on how much we depend on oil, and we mainly get it from Russia, I don’t think it’s going to stop until the war is stopped.”

Hamilton said those in the legislature should “want our best interests,” and need to do something to reduce our dependency.

FMHS senior Macaden Rhoer said he hasn’t kept up with what is driving the prices up but said, “Maybe more pipelines need to be built. It (the price hike) is out of control.”

Jeanene Dean said she’s also not up on the pipelines and how much oil we get from other countries, but, “There’s reserves here, and the government should open them up.”

Also, “Isn’t it against the law to price gouge?” Dean said gas stations should be held accountable.

“We need to be able to support ourselves in the U.S.”

Larry Holtkamp said we should “open the pipeline up.

“Quit playing politics and get together and straighten things out.”

The local insurance agent was having lunch with two of his workers, and Jessica Showalter and Tammy Reynolds both said, “Amen!”

Shelly Spurgin said we need to have a different perspective.

“We’re so lucky we’re not the country which is at war,” Spurgin said. “Our problems are minimal to what they’re going through.”

https://www.mississippivalleypublishing.com/daily_democrat/gas-hikes-cause-pain-at-the-pump/article_7babbe38-eac9-5cda-81f9-b8dda8f1c4e2.html

-----------------

This is from my local paper. Wanted to post this because notice the pics of those interviewed. Three random people not of the older generation and they are not supporting Biden's policies.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Gas hikes cause pain at the pump (Iowa)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 10:28:20 pm »
Thanks for the post, Vulcan.
Folks in Iowa sound like they know the score.

Any nice real estate where you live...?   8-)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Gas hikes cause pain at the pump (Iowa)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 11:11:31 pm »
Thanks for the post, Vulcan.
Folks in Iowa sound like they know the score.

Any nice real estate where you live...?   8-)

Oh my friend, it's very rural here, and relative to most places...cheap. We are an hour or more from any decent metro area. The county to the west of me has no stop lights, no 4-lanes, not even railroads, very conservative, and is mostly Amish country.
The Republic is lost.