Author Topic: Petrodollar Cracks: Saudi Arabia Considers Accepting Yuan For Chinese Oil Sales  (Read 526 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Petrodollar Cracks: Saudi Arabia Considers Accepting Yuan For Chinese Oil Sales
ZeroHedge, Mar 15, 2022

One of the core staples of the past 40 years, and an anchor propping up the dollar's reserve status, was a global financial system based on the petrodollar - this was a world in which oil producers would sell their product to the US (and the rest of the world) for dollars, which they would then recycle the proceeds in dollar-denominated assets and while investing in dollar-denominated markets, explicitly prop up the USD as the world reserve currency, and in the process backstop the standing of the US as the world's undisputed financial superpower.

One day after we reported that the "UK is asking Saudis for more oil even as MBS invites Xi Jinping to Riyadh to strengthen ties", the WSJ is out with a blockbuster report, noting that "Saudi Arabia is in active talks with Beijing to price its some of its oil sales to China in yuan," a move that could cripple not only the petrodollar’s dominance of the global petroleum market - something which Zoltan Pozsar predicted in his last note - and mark another shift by the world’s top crude exporter toward Asia, but also a move aimed squarely at the heart of the US financial system which has taken advantage of the dollar's reserve status by printing as much dollars as needed to fund government spending for the past decade.

According to the report, the talks with China over yuan-priced oil contracts have been off and on for six years but have accelerated this year as the Saudis have grown increasingly unhappy with decades-old U.S. security commitments to defend the kingdom.

China buys more than 25% of the oil that Saudi Arabia exports, and if priced in yuan, those sales would boost the standing of China’s currency, and set the Chinese currency on a path to becoming a global petroyuan reserve currency.

As even the WSJ admits, a shift to a (petro)yuan system, "would be a profound shift for Saudi Arabia to price even some of its roughly 6.2 million barrels of day of crude exports in anything other than dollars" as the majority of global oil sales—around 80%—are done in dollars, and the Saudis have traded oil exclusively in dollars since 1974, in a deal with the Nixon administration that included security guarantees for the kingdom. It appears that the Saudis no longer care much about US "security guarantees" and instead are switching their allegiance to China.

More:  https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/petrodollar-cracks-saudi-arabia-considers-accepting-yuan-chinese-oil-sales

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
The beginning of the end.

And a point I have been predicting for more than 10 years now.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Excellent!  Little do the Saudis suspect, this is a first step for the Chi-coms to co-opt the Saudi Royal family for control of Saudi Arabia and its resources.

The down-side for the Chi-coms, Muslims may not appreciate Mecca being under the control of Communists.

Saudi Arabia and Communist China deserve each other.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

The Chinese have been trying to replace the USD as the international currency of exchange for a long time now.  If they succeed, it will spell disaster for the U.S., given its current level of national debt.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Debt is just a number in a ledger.

Our economic system is based upon trust, faith, and contracts.  The greater issue is the loss of trust and the tremendous amount of time required to build a new functional system that people have faith in.  Without trust, there can be no economy.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online DB

Our economic system is based upon trust, faith, and contracts.  The greater issue is the loss of trust and the tremendous amount of time required to build a new functional system that people have faith in.  Without trust, there can be no economy.

And when banks and nations can take peoples accounts on a whim that trust is broken. There's a whole lot of broken coming down the pike.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This could be the knockout punch for the US dollar.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

In what rational world would you trust a trading system based upon currency issued by Communists?

Online Hoodat

Remember back when we pushed China to untie the Yuan from the US Dollar?  Dumb move.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

Online Kamaji

No, it's not.

If the USD is no longer the reserve currency, then there is no longer nearly as much need for most other countries to hold as much of our debt as they do - that is how they fund their USD transactions, which is the currency for most international transactions.

Once demand for U.S. debt drops, the interest rates we will have to offer to continue supporting the existing debt will blow up, to the point where we either default on the debt - in which case we become a pariah nation - or we have to jack taxes up into the stratosphere just to service the new debt load - in which case we impoverish ourselves.

And once the status of reserve currency is gone, it isn't coming back.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
No, it's not.

If the USD is no longer the reserve currency, then there is no longer nearly as much need for most other countries to hold as much of our debt as they do - that is how they fund their USD transactions, which is the currency for most international transactions.

Once demand for U.S. debt drops, the interest rates we will have to offer to continue supporting the existing debt will blow up, to the point where we either default on the debt - in which case we become a pariah nation - or we have to jack taxes up into the stratosphere just to service the new debt load - in which case we impoverish ourselves.

And once the status of reserve currency is gone, it isn't coming back.

Yep. And we will wave to Venezuela and Zimbabwe as we go over the cliff before the hard crash.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

If you think there's inflation now, you haven't seen anything compared to what it will look like when the dollar is no longer the world currency.  Inflation is defined as too many dollars chasing too few goods.   Imagine what will happen when oil is no longer chased by dollars.  We will be scrambling to purchase yuan, euros, swiss francs, whatever, to purchase oil because dollars will no longer be accepted.  So instead of it taking $100 to buy 600 yuan, it will now take $400, $500, or even $600.  So that barrel of oil sold in dollars will now cost us $500.  All because we have crapped all over our currency for the last 13 years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Kamaji

Yep. And we will wave to Venezuela and Zimbabwe as we go over the cliff before the hard crash.

A comparison with Zimbabwe would not be out of bounds, depending on the degree to which the USD is abandoned.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Since, 2008, the economy is not structured to be self-sustaining without government-supplied hyper-inflation.

That would require domestic economic regime of long-term public and private capital improvements targeted towards greater efficiencies and productivity.

Companies would need to be able to build things in America without NIMBY opposition that destroys their positive value propositions.  The business of America would need to be business, once again.

We'd need to send the liberal Dem globalist progressive enviro-commie moonbats to a prison camp on St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea, where'd they would be closer to their Chi-com handlers.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:56:08 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
A comparison with Zimbabwe would not be out of bounds, depending on the degree to which the USD is abandoned.

The worst part is that China could take Taiwan on a whim and we could barely contest it.

Deny us chips and they would have us face down with their boot on our necks.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Certainly a blow across our face.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

Not when you are so levereged that you start forgoinig operating expenses to cover debt payments.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

@MAGA1776
@ricksta42251938
China recently bought over 200k tons of Gold. By this time next year, the Chinese Yuan will be the preferred world currency and Joe Biden will just let it happen.
6:59 PM · Mar 15, 2022·

Related:
China almost certainly owns more gold than the US – here’s why that matters
China almost certainly owns a lot more gold than anyone else – including the USA. But how much? And why does it need so much gold?
by: Dominic Frisby
3 Mar 2022

If you thought the West was unprepared for inflation – or indeed for Russia – wait and see just how unprepared it is for this bombshell.

This is the biggest story in world finance, and yet nobody, bar your intrepid blogger, is reporting on it.

For those without the attention spans to read all the way to the end, let’s cut to the chase and get the main point out upfront: China has more gold than the United States. ...

Here’s why China’s gold reserves must be far bigger than official data suggests

First, consider China’s US dollar holdings – over three trillion of them. That’s more than the UK’s annual GDP. Its US dollar holdings eclipse those of every other nation; China is not going to want those to go to zero – not yet, anyway. ...
More at Moneyweek
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

This isn't about debt.  It is about printing money (i.e. reducing the scarcity of existing money) in order to avoid debt.  And that is not a number on a ledger.  It is something real that detrimentally affects anyone holding dollars or loans payable in dollars.  It's a great big FU to all those people who have been investing in our currency for the past 75 years.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

Oh sch*t!  Well, here it comes  --- even higher inflation and the real possibility that the Saudi's won't accept the dollar for oil. 

Perhaps this will collapse our economy?

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.