Author Topic: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾  (Read 24428 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2022, 08:06:19 pm »
Yeah well Houston ought to be awarded the trophy by default.  They battled for six months.  Philly went 16-3 against the Nationals.  No 3rd place team should be allowed into the postseason.  But rest assured, everyone outside of SE Texas will be rooting for the stoopid Phillies!

In '19 and '21 we were the favorites against the Braves and the Nationals.  We know how they came out

Like I said, Young, Hungry, Angry, and Nothing to Lose  trumps Talented but complacent every time.   If we let this one slip through our fingers our WS record will be 1-6.  Talk about oppotunities and talent wasted.

And the one win, will only cement the moniker, they needed to cheat to win it.   There has to be some pressure for that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:07:07 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2022, 08:12:15 pm »
I'm rooting for the Phillies.  Love Texas and all, but I will not root for any gay-ass AL team ever.  But if you roll the clock back to the NL days of Bagwell, Biggio, and my main man Billy Wagner, then I'm all in.

ROFL!!    :laugh:   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2022, 05:55:39 pm »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2022, 04:41:39 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUTWDhWrnDU

PHILLIES start NOLA in Game 1...then WHEELER in Game 2...
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2022, 02:07:15 am »
If I hear one person give Dusty Baker accolades for being a great manager, I think I will puke.

This POS is living proof of Affirmative Action gone amok.  There's a reason he has set records for going the longest managerial tenure without a WS Title.

He sucks!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 02:17:07 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2022, 01:43:38 pm »
Dusty is in the Brian Snitker wing of old fashioned managers.  McCullers has not exceeded 100 pitches, ergo, you leave him out there.  You gotta allow him to work out his mechanics and build confidence.  He will be fired up and ready for spring training. 

Meanwhile, the deepest pitching staff in the MLB languishes in the bullpen.  The Astros can still prevail, but it will come about through a talent disparity rather than strategizing.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2022, 06:12:38 pm »
A bit dazed after last night.

McCullers had a tell. The Phillies knew what was coming.
Even so, he left it in the strike zone. Only 1 of the home runs of the 5 hit by the Phillies was a good pitch.
Nobody on the Astros spotted the tell.
Dusty didn't pull him after the 3rd home run, which baffles me.
Did Maldonado, known for his great handling of pitching staffs, call a bad game?
We didn't hit a lick, 1 double and 4 singles?
Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker:
0 for 15.

I don't think the Phillies win both of the next 2, but they could.
I think it comes back to Houston, 3-2 Phillies.

I could be totally wrong.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2022, 06:22:19 pm »
Hate to concede anything to a team from Philthydelphia, but unless the Astros can hit the brakes, the Phillies might ride the Big Mo to the finish line.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2022, 06:26:23 pm »
Lance McCullers Jr. is, at best, a barely major league caliber pitcher but someone in the Astros organization is in love with him.  Why, I have NO idea.

Edit to add: I didn't even watch last night after I heard McCullers was going to be on the hill. I knew what the result would be.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 06:34:29 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2022, 06:30:17 pm »
Some [rich] guy bet $100. that Harper, Schwarber, Hoskins and Marsh would each hit a HR.

He won over $100K!!    :thud:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2022, 06:36:16 pm »
Lance McCullers Jr. is, at best, a barely major league caliber pitcher but someone in the Astros organization is in love with him.  Why, I have NO idea.

Photos I've seen show...on a breaking ball his rising left leg stays parallel to his body (below the knee)

On a fastball, it points to the 3rd base dugout.   

Harper called Marsh over just before his AB and whispered something in his ear.  When asked about it mid-inning in the dugout, Marsh simply refused to say.

Anyway...first pitch, it was in the left field stands in less than 3 seconds.   :laugh:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2022, 06:40:04 pm »

He's had his moments, though.
I saw him live at Minute Maid in 2017.
He was perfect through 5, allowed a single in the 6th.
24 curveballs in a row to close the Yankees down in the 2017 playoffs.
Maybe he just won't fully recover from the injuries.
When he's on, he's pretty darn good.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2022, 06:43:04 pm »
Photos I've seen show...on a breaking ball his rising left leg stays parallel to his body (below the knee)

On a fastball, it points to the 3rd base dugout.   

Harper called Marsh over just before his AB and whispered something in his ear.  When asked about it mid-inning in the dugout, Marsh simply refused to say.

Anyway...first pitch, it was in the left field stands in less than 3 seconds.   :laugh:

That's what we are hearing in Houston, too.
I thought it was the other long haired kid Harper told it to.
I am sure the whole dugout knew before long.
Smoltz mentioned a tell last night, but didn't elaborate.
Hey, Astros did it to Darvish in 2017 as well.
It does happen.
Bad timing, of course.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2022, 03:42:15 am »
World Series: Astros toss combined no-hitter in Game 4 vs. Phillies, make history after brilliant Cristian Javier start

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-series-game-4-phillies-astros-bryce-harper-aaron-nola-cristian-javier-214939012.html

The Houston Astros — led by starter Cristian Javier — have thrown the second no-hitter in World Series history. Javier and three relief pitchers combined to blank the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 4 Wednesday night, 5-0, and pull Houston even in the series in historic fashion.

The combined no-no joins Don Larsen's perfect game for the 1956 New York Yankees in World Series lore. It is the third postseason no-hitter, and comes in the same ballpark as the second: Roy Halladay's NLDS no-no for the Phillies in 2010.

Javier, the preternaturally calm 25-year-old Astros starter, fired six no-hit innings to help Houston quiet the Philadelphia crowd and rebound from a rough Game 3, striking out nine and walking two. After 97 pitches, manager Dusty Baker shook his hand and turned to the bullpen. Bryan Abreu, Rafael Montero and Ryan Pressly each pitched an inning to close it out. Overall, the Astros struck out 14 Phillies and retired 18 in a row between walks in the third and ninth innings.

Javier will cap his first full season as a major-league starter by entering the record books as the author of the longest hitless World Series start outside of Larsen's perfecto.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2022, 05:59:28 pm »
It is amazing what a difference 24 hours can make!
A no-Hitter after the drubbing the Astros took the night before?
Christian Javier was part of one of these against the Yankees in Yankee stadium this year, so I shouldn't be too surprised.
But in the World Series?
Wow!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2022, 07:13:58 pm »
He's had his moments, though.
I saw him live at Minute Maid in 2017.
He was perfect through 5, allowed a single in the 6th.
24 curveballs in a row to close the Yankees down in the 2017 playoffs.
Maybe he just won't fully recover from the injuries.
When he's on, he's pretty darn good.

He'll have the off-season to work on his mechanics. I hope he's able to discover and overcome the problems he's having and comes back next year as hot as a firecracker because no one in all of baseball looks better from the backside than Lance does -- or as my friends and I call him, "Mr. Buns."  :yowsa:

What an outstanding performance by Javier and all our relievers and closer last night! It eased the abject disappointment from the night before. I still have a question, though. Why didn't Dusty remove Verlander or McCullers when they were going south? He seems to be managing the games as if we were playing regular season games instead of do-or-die games.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2022, 07:20:49 pm »
That's what we are hearing in Houston, too.
I thought it was the other long haired kid Harper told it to.
I am sure the whole dugout knew before long.
Smoltz mentioned a tell last night, but didn't elaborate.
Hey, Astros did it to Darvish in 2017 as well.
It does happen.
Bad timing, of course.

My bad...You're right!  It was Bohm in the 2nd inning!   :beer:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2022, 07:33:16 pm »
He'll have the off-season to work on his mechanics. I hope he's able to discover and overcome the problems he's having and comes back next year as hot as a firecracker because no one in all of baseball looks better from the backside than Lance does -- or as my friends and I call him, "Mr. Buns."  :yowsa:

NOW I've heard everything!  9999hair out0000

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2022, 04:13:46 am »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/11/04/astros-win-game-5-world-series-phillies-verlander-pena/8262155001/

Justin Verlander, Astros bullpen fight off Phillies in pivotal Game 5 of World Series

Forget the starting pitchers, the offensive stars that have been alternately celebrated and vilified over the last six years and pause your sentimental feelings over their 73-year-old manager for just a moment.

The Houston Astros are one win away from the second World Series title in their history because of the greatest bullpen in postseason history. And they showed no better time to prove their mettle than a taut, gut-wrenching and possibly Series-turning Game 5 on Thursday night.

One night after covering the final three innings of the first combined no-hitter in World Series history, the Astros’ relief corps took up for their 39-year-old ace who was good for just five innings, stared down a fearsome group of Philadelphia Phillies sluggers and survived until their offense could provide just enough wriggle room.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2022, 04:49:38 am »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/11/04/astros-win-game-5-world-series-phillies-verlander-pena/8262155001/

Justin Verlander, Astros bullpen fight off Phillies in pivotal Game 5 of World Series

Forget the starting pitchers, the offensive stars that have been alternately celebrated and vilified over the last six years and pause your sentimental feelings over their 73-year-old manager for just a moment.

The Houston Astros are one win away from the second World Series title in their history because of the greatest bullpen in postseason history. And they showed no better time to prove their mettle than a taut, gut-wrenching and possibly Series-turning Game 5 on Thursday night.

One night after covering the final three innings of the first combined no-hitter in World Series history, the Astros’ relief corps took up for their 39-year-old ace who was good for just five innings, stared down a fearsome group of Philadelphia Phillies sluggers and survived until their offense could provide just enough wriggle room.

I think Game 3 really hurt the Phils when they played Home Run Derby with McCullers.  Timing and swing dynamics , and general overswinging really killed them the last two.  Game 4 with the no hitter, and tonight?  What you saw from JV was a bottom quartile performance in his repitoire. I am shocked he got the "W" He easliy could have given up 6-8 in 3 innings.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2022, 04:52:52 am »

Edit to add: I didn't even watch last night after I heard McCullers was going to be on the hill. I knew what the result would be.

LMJ is toast 4 out of 5 starts if his hook isn't finding the strike zone.  He is easily not one of our best of 5 in the starting department.

OTOH, our entire staff of Latin Pitchers are BAD ASS.......

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2022, 05:51:07 pm »
My bad...You're right!  It was Bohm in the 2nd inning!   :beer:

I drew a blank trying to remember his name, other than the other long-haired kid>
 :cool:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2022, 06:06:24 pm »
LMJ is toast 4 out of 5 starts if his hook isn't finding the strike zone.  He is easily not one of our best of 5 in the starting department.

OTOH, our entire staff of Latin Pitchers are BAD ASS.......
Pretty amazing, when you realize how many scouts overlooked Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, Garcia....
I've always thought that at best, LMJ was the #3 guys, but he's not there this year.
I'm not an apologist for him, but I've seen him do well in the past.
Tommy John, followed by the wrist injury, may have been just too much.
Maybe the off-season gets him back to #3.
Not based on the world series but for the season (which LMJ missed most of), I would have Verlander, Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Garcia, in that order..

World series?
Definitely the performances would be order of Javier, Valdez, Verlander, McCullers.

Anyway, how about that catch by Chas McCormick last night?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2022, 06:22:35 pm »
Pretty amazing, when you realize how many scouts overlooked Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, Garcia....
I've always thought that at best, LMJ was the #3 guys, but he's not there this year.
I'm not an apologist for him, but I've seen him do well in the past.
Tommy John, followed by the wrist injury, may have been just too much.
Maybe the off-season gets him back to #3.
Not based on the world series but for the season (which LMJ missed most of), I would have Verlander, Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Garcia, in that order..

World series?

Definitely the performances would be order of Javier, Valdez, Verlander, McCullers.

Anyway, how about that catch by Chas McCormick last night?

Maybe the off season will get him a brand new Skeeters uniform to show off his man bunns in!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 06:23:28 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2022, 07:56:13 pm »
I drew a blank trying to remember his name, other than the other long-haired kid>
 :cool:

Or as we like to call him in Atlanta, "The Kid Who Still Hasn't Touched Home Plate".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ellSNbZ-4
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra