Author Topic: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾  (Read 24273 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2022, 09:33:52 pm »
Like Bud Selig, all Manfred cares about is money.  He would sell you his daughter for $5.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2022, 05:48:33 pm »
3 games in Astos post season history are epic in my eyes....

Yesterday....

Game 6 of the '17 WS when we won 13-12 in extra innings and

Games 6 of the 1986 NLCS when we lost to the Mets 7-6 in 16 innings.

All good stuff.

Mike Scott's no-hitter to Clinched the NL west in 1986 was pretty cool.
Third shut out in 3 days.
Deshaies shut out, Ryan 1-hitter,shut out followed by Scotty's no hitter.
I thought we must be a team of destiny then.
(Only took 30+ more years)

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2022, 11:57:34 pm »
Braves getting smoked in Philadelphia.  Their manager seems to be the last one to detect when a starting pitcher is losing command.  Maybe he needs to outsource that function to a pitching coach.  It will be another early exit unless Morton turns into another classic performance tomorrow. 

Yankee fans are suicidal as well, although things aren't quite as dire as they seem.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2022, 08:09:56 pm »
Atlanta Braves cannot catch a break!   This is an Elimination game for them today!

Starting pitcher Morton takes a line drive on his pitching forearm near the elbow and leaves the game scoreless.

His reliever gives up a 3 run-jack to Marsh...of all people.  And then Realmuto hits an inside the park HR off the CF wall 

So far, the Braves have fought back to 4-2 in the bottom of the 6th.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2022, 02:49:12 am »
18 innings....  1-0 Astros.

Incredible.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2022, 05:57:16 am »
Dodgers are done.  I wonder if Manfred will rethink his playoff expansion if this comes down to Cleveland and San Diego.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2022, 05:58:08 am »
Dodgers are done.  I wonder if Manfred will rethink his playoff expansion if this comes down to Cleveland and San Diego.

What a great day!  Braves and Dodgers eliminated.  Next the Yankees.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2022, 01:27:27 pm »
Astros win 18-inning marathon to reach 6th straight ALCS

Peña crushes tiebreaking homer in 18th, and 8 pitchers shut out Seattle for the sweep

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-win-american-league-division-series-2022

SEATTLE -- The Astros weren’t too tired to party. Far from it. The music was pumping in the visiting clubhouse at T-Mobile Park, the smell of champagne filled the air and a group of bewildered, exhausted and excited players tried to digest and appreciate what they had just witnessed.

In perhaps the greatest pitched game in franchise history, eight Astros pitchers combined to throw 18 scoreless innings and were rewarded when rookie shortstop Jeremy Peña delivered the biggest hit of his young career. Peña walloped a leadoff homer in the 18th inning to send Houston to a thrilling 1-0 win over the Mariners in an epic Game 3 of the American League Division Series on Saturday.

Peña took over this year at shortstop for Carlos Correa, who was one of the most clutch playoff performers in franchise history, and produced his own signature playoff moment. After setting up slugger Yordan Alvarez’s go-ahead homers with singles in Games 1 and 2 in Houston, Peña rocketed a 3-2 pitch from reliever Penn Murfee that sailed a Statcast-projected 415 feet into the smoky air and over the wall in the 18th.

“It’s a moment I’ll remember for the rest of my life,” Peña said.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2022, 01:52:14 pm »

Especially if the Yankees get eliminated.  I think 3-4 days off for byes actually hurt the better record teams.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2022, 06:34:10 pm »
Especially if the Yankees get eliminated.  I think 3-4 days off for byes actually hurt the better record teams.

That's silly, since they can get their rotation in gear, over teams who had to play a three-game series before hand.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2022, 07:36:02 pm »
That's silly, since they can get their rotation in gear, over teams who had to play a three-game series before hand.

Nope....

Baseball is designed to be a day in day out 162 game grind with one day off every 10 days or so.

It's all about being locked, with repetition, and keeping timing keen.  When you are trying to time 102 mph fastballs, being off competitive live pitching is tough to readjust back to.

The rust even whacked the Astros, if you see how they came out the gate in Game 1.  So many micro-second swings and misses early.  It was obvious.  And Verlander's worst start of the season?  The man is a slave to habit and repetition.  Yeah...it hurt him too.

I will grant maybe the only advantage one might extract from a bye might be if you have an arm tired pitching that desperately needs an addtional few days of rest.  In the case of the Yankees, Astros, Dodgers, and Braves.....   That wasn't the case.

Don't get me wrong, I think the bye and its HFA and rotation adjustment  is a plus for the winners, but once it all gets processed, I'll be willig to say its possibly a wash.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 07:38:20 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2022, 12:44:28 pm »
Yanks seek home cooking after Judge's near-HR

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-lose-alcs-game-2-2022?partnerID=mlbapp-iOS_article-share

Potential go-ahead shot in 8th inning would've been a homer at Yankee Stadium

The Yankees’ last, best chance to depart with a split of this American League Championship Series rocketed off Aaron Judge’s bat in the eighth inning on Thursday. His opposite-field drive drew a gasp from the sellout crowd at Minute Maid Park, soaring like so many of the 62 home runs that the slugger launched during his regular-season chase for history.

Judge’s teammates leaped toward the dugout’s top step; this one would land in the seats, they seemed certain. But Judge felt the wind would keep it in, and soon after Kyle Tucker’s spikes crunched into the warning track, the rest of the world knew for sure. The Yankees’ hopes for ALCS Game 2 were dashed four outs later, absorbing a 3-2 loss to the Astros as the pennant showdown prepares to shift venues to the Bronx.

“We’ve got a great offense; I think we’ve just got to get back to what has gotten us to this position and what helped us win the division,” Judge said. “If that’s contact, moving guys over, coming up with that big hit -- we’ll figure it out and be ready.”

It was a cruel dagger for the visitors that, according to Statcast, Judge’s 345-foot fly ball would have been a home run in precisely one Major League ballpark: Yankee Stadium.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2022, 12:49:26 pm »
Yanks seek home cooking after Judge's near-HR

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-lose-alcs-game-2-2022?partnerID=mlbapp-iOS_article-share

Potential go-ahead shot in 8th inning would've been a homer at Yankee Stadium

The Yankees’ last, best chance to depart with a split of this American League Championship Series rocketed off Aaron Judge’s bat in the eighth inning on Thursday. His opposite-field drive drew a gasp from the sellout crowd at Minute Maid Park, soaring like so many of the 62 home runs that the slugger launched during his regular-season chase for history.

Judge’s teammates leaped toward the dugout’s top step; this one would land in the seats, they seemed certain. But Judge felt the wind would keep it in, and soon after Kyle Tucker’s spikes crunched into the warning track, the rest of the world knew for sure. The Yankees’ hopes for ALCS Game 2 were dashed four outs later, absorbing a 3-2 loss to the Astros as the pennant showdown prepares to shift venues to the Bronx.

“We’ve got a great offense; I think we’ve just got to get back to what has gotten us to this position and what helped us win the division,” Judge said. “If that’s contact, moving guys over, coming up with that big hit -- we’ll figure it out and be ready.”

It was a cruel dagger for the visitors that, according to Statcast, Judge’s 345-foot fly ball would have been a home run in precisely one Major League ballpark: Yankee Stadium.

LOL!  Eff the Yankees!  ...with a capital EFF!!

Even in defeat, the ESPN and MLB writers have to push the pinstripes!.

Who wouldn't be happy to see the PADRES and the ASTROS in the WS??    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2022, 12:57:11 pm »
Nope....

Baseball is designed to be a day in day out 162 game grind with one day off every 10 days or so.

It's all about being locked, with repetition, and keeping timing keen.  When you are trying to time 102 mph fastballs, being off competitive live pitching is tough to readjust back to.

The rust even whacked the Astros, if you see how they came out the gate in Game 1.  So many micro-second swings and misses early.  It was obvious.  And Verlander's worst start of the season?  The man is a slave to habit and repetition.  Yeah...it hurt him too.

I will grant maybe the only advantage one might extract from a bye might be if you have an arm tired pitching that desperately needs an addtional few days of rest.  In the case of the Yankees, Astros, Dodgers, and Braves.....   That wasn't the case.

Don't get me wrong, I think the bye and its HFA and rotation adjustment  is a plus for the winners, but once it all gets processed, I'll be willig to say its possibly a wash.

@catfish1957

:beer:  could 'talk baseball' forever with you!

You remind me of my USENET days back in 90's, on the alt.sports.baseball newsgroups.

Used to argue all the time with "statheads" who dismissed abstracts as "chemistry" and "momentum".

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2022, 01:06:46 pm »

And when you visit (lurk) at Yankees message boards, you'll see 10,000 Yankee Fans bitching about the short perch in the Crawford Boxes at Minute Maid Park.   Their fandom leads the league in hypocricy and denial.  They are also the biggest entitlement junkies too, and think any missed ump call is an affront to the Ghost of Babe Ruth.  Pathetic.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2022, 01:23:49 pm »
@catfish1957

:beer:  could 'talk baseball' forever with you!

You remind me of my USENET days back in 90's, on the alt.sports.baseball newsgroups.

Used to argue all the time with "statheads" who dismissed abstracts as "chemistry" and "momentum".

:beer:

@DCPatriot

Thanks, I will have to admit that I sure don't have the obsession and fervor I had for Astros and Baseball in general that I had 1965-2019.  With the combination of the cheating scandal and game wokeness, I admittedly have only being keeping a half of an eye on it since.  Seems my interest has pretty much been limited to the post season the past few years. 

I don't remember the USENET Boards, but I was a fixture on the MLB.com's boards from day 1 back in the late '90's until they killed it in about '16.  I was kind of honored being our team board's "Troll Buster".  But back in the day, I definitely was a Baseball Stat Nerd.

One real funny story, was I was at a game at the Astrodome in the late 1970's, and was in retrospect likely very annoying in my continued analysis, and random and obscure stat spouting.  A gentleman sitting behind me about twice my age, bent down and whispered......   "This game is a lot more enjoyable when you sit down, soak it up, and contemplate rather than overanalyzing it."

He had it right.  I mean even Altuve should be able to get a hit in 25 AB's. :silly:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2022, 01:28:31 pm »
LOL!  Eff the Yankees!  ...with a capital EFF!!

Even in defeat, the ESPN and MLB writers have to push the pinstripes!.

Who wouldn't be happy to see the PADRES and the ASTROS in the WS??    :shrug:

When the idiotic TBS play by play/analysis team spent an entire half inning rehashing the '17 cheating  scandal G1?

I have always been a semi-conspiracy theorist that the entire Selig/Manfred era has been an organized cabal of furthering the east coast NYY/BOSOX efforts. 

SD v. Hou in WS?  COB Schendenfreud at its best if it happens.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2022, 02:03:40 pm »
Should have been a 3 to 0 shutout.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2022, 02:08:24 pm »
Should have been a 3 to 0 shutout.

Yep, that was quite a brain fart by Valdez.

If McCuller's hook looks good tomorrow, this thing might end in the Bronx.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2022, 02:28:47 pm »
When the idiotic TBS play by play/analysis team spent an entire half inning rehashing the '17 cheating  scandal G1?

I have always been a semi-conspiracy theorist that the entire Selig/Manfred era has been an organized cabal of furthering the east coast NYY/BOSOX efforts. 

SD v. Hou in WS?  COB Schendenfreud at its best if it happens.

Schendenfreud is seeing Tatis sitting on his ass through the entire WS and then not getting a ring.

(Please God...tell me players on suspension and not on the active roster do NOT get championship rings!!)

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2022, 03:14:33 pm »
Schendenfreud is seeing Tatis sitting on his ass through the entire WS and then not getting a ring.

(Please God...tell me players on suspension and not on the active roster do NOT get championship rings!!)

The bigger scandal is that NYY and BOSOX were pretty much cheating as much as the 'Stros, and were basically let off the hook.  A lot of insider scuttlebutt has that Cora was the brainchild of this whole stupid scheme in the first place.

Sure he didn't bring that to Boston in '18 did he?   :thud:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2022, 03:50:27 pm »
The bigger scandal is that NYY and BOSOX were pretty much cheating as much as the 'Stros, and were basically let off the hook.  A lot of insider scuttlebutt has that Cora was the brainchild of this whole stupid scheme in the first place.

Sure he didn't bring that to Boston in '18 did he?   :thud:

@catfish1957

The NATS' victory in 2019 put the cheating scandal to bed for me.

LOL!  Except I still want to rip Altuve's shirt(s) off every time to trots the bases. 

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2022, 04:19:12 pm »
Fan interrupts Astros-Yankees Game 2 to hug Jose Altuve

Moments before he took his position at second base to finish off the Yankees in Game 2, Jose Altuve received some affection.

In the middle of the ninth inning of the Astros’ 3-2 Game 2 win Thursday night, a fan briefly delayed proceedings while running onto the field.

The fan, wearing a white Craig Biggio Astros jersey, took to the field and approached Altuve. With the Minute Maid Park security seemingly taking its time to get out and apprehend the fan, he was able to share a hug with Altuve, wrapping his arms around the star while on both knees. A few moments later, as security finally arrived on the field, he attempted to take a selfie with Altuve.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/21/fan-interrupts-alcs-game-2-to-hug-jose-altuve/

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2022, 07:25:21 pm »
Fan interrupts Astros-Yankees Game 2 to hug Jose Altuve

Moments before he took his position at second base to finish off the Yankees in Game 2, Jose Altuve received some affection.

In the middle of the ninth inning of the Astros’ 3-2 Game 2 win Thursday night, a fan briefly delayed proceedings while running onto the field.

The fan, wearing a white Craig Biggio Astros jersey, took to the field and approached Altuve. With the Minute Maid Park security seemingly taking its time to get out and apprehend the fan, he was able to share a hug with Altuve, wrapping his arms around the star while on both knees. A few moments later, as security finally arrived on the field, he attempted to take a selfie with Altuve.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/21/fan-interrupts-alcs-game-2-to-hug-jose-altuve/

Idiot delayed Pressley's warm up, and closer routine.  Which in turn could have cost us the game.

Hope he spends a few days in jail,and rethinks his station in life.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:48 pm »
Idiot delayed Pressley's warm up, and closer routine.  Which in turn could have cost us the game.

Hope he spends a few days in jail,and rethinks his station in life.

I can't believe he got so far out onto the field.  Absolutely crazy.
Thank God it wasn't another Monica Seles kind of a thing.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra